Storing Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StIhL MaGnUm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Ok guy's how do you store your saw's when the time comes?Do you run the saw dry,keep it full etc...I will be putting away my 385 soon and I would like to get some tips on storing it if possible.

Thanks Rob

I may get some flak for this, but I have never stored a saw or other two-cycle machine dry. As long as the (premium) fuel is stablized I feel that exposing all those rubber seals* to air can allow them to deteriorate quicker. Most quality two cycle oils* have stablizers* in them.

I pulled an old 025 out of the shed this summer. It had been sitting for 5 years* with fuel in it (premium with Stihl oil). I was going to junk it, but pulled on the starter rope a couple times*. It started on the 5th pull! I have since cleaned it up and put it back into service after putting a set of rings* in it. I have had absolutely no carb problems*, it runs great!

I have no basis other than conjecture, but I relate it to the fact that an automotive water pump will usually fail after sitting dry for any length of time, then re-used.

I'm sure most saws* will still run great after being stored dry as well.

* No apostrophe is used for plural words. Only possessive (John's truck) or conjunctions (it's = it is). :angel:

Is that a 640 in your pic?

I just run them out of gas at idle, then put some wd40 down the jugg, bring the piston to BDC, put plug back in and toss it on the shelf.

I add a little fuel stabilzer to the tank and let the saw run for about 10 minutes or so. Next I siphon the gas from the tank back into the fuel can. I start the saw up and let run until it dies. Do not run the saw at full throttle as it may get lean as there is no fuel in the tank. The saw will eventually run out of fuel and stall. I try and start it back up in order to make sure all fuel has been emptied from carb and line.
I next remove spark plug, inspect and clean as required. With the plug out I add about a table spoon of SAE 30 oil ( or what ever grade I have opened) in the cylinder and then pull the engine over a few times to distribute oil in the cylinder.
Next, I take the bar and chain off in order to clean all saw dust around clutch cover, and saw housing. At this time I will also clean the air filter.
I re assemble the saw and spray some oil on the chain and it is done.
When ready to use, I pull the plug, and crank engine quickly to expell any oil still in the cylinder. Fill the tank with fresh fuel and oil mix and start it up. Usually starts on the 3rd or 4th pull.
I have been doing this for the last 15 years and never have had any issues with the saw starting in the spring.
I don't do anything with the bar oil other than fill the tank. Not sure if this is good or not, but again I have had no issues doing this.

Like treeclimber I never store any engine 2 cycle or 4 cycle dry.

I run 91 octane minimum with high quality oil in all 2 cycles, have been doing this for years now.

It prevents seals , gaskets, lines and o rings from drying out

Best product for gas I've ever used is an industrial product called PRI-G, never had any failure, blockage or carb repair since I've started using it.

This stuff is really great. :blob2: :blob1: :blob4:

http://www.priproducts.com/default.htm

Thanks for the pointers guy's I appreciate it I'll probally just put some stabilizer in the fuel and run it for a few minutes and top it all off store it wet sounds like the thing to do I guess.I just have the same feeling as 165 and Lobo I can picture the lines drying up etc..

JimL actually it's my newest addition to my business it's a 1999 648G I traded in my old one toward this one.I've been thinking about getting one of the new 848G's that JD put out this year:D :D

later Rob...

I just pop the airfilter off and while the saw is running and give it a good squirt of marine fogging oil. I also empty both the gas and the oil tanks. never had aproblem this way.

It seem's to me that some of you run them out of fuel and some of you put them away with the fuel and oil full.I guess I'll decide when the time comes but either way I'll be using some fuel stabilizer and putting a little oil in the cylinder..I always thought it was bad for the saw to run them dry..

Thanks for the tips guy's
Later Rob..

I never store my saws...:D....but like Stihltech said...way too many springtime problems with carbs due to poor fuel....however...I do feel that the fuel stabilizer works perfect...I use it in every jug of fuel I mix.. never had problems related to old gas since...(yep my grammer sucks Brian)...lol..

Originally posted by StIhL MaGnUm
Thanks for the pointers guy's I appreciate it I'll probally just put some stabilizer in the fuel and run it for a few minutes and top it all off store it wet sounds like the thing to do I guess.I just have the same feeling as 165 and Lobo I can picture the lines drying up etc..

JimL actually it's my newest addition to my business it's a 1999 648G I traded in my old one toward this one.I've been thinking about getting one of the new 848G's that JD put out this year:D :D

later Rob...

Never run a grapple skidder. Round here its too hilly for one. Run a 175' cable and need 275' of cable. Timberjack has some nice stuff now. I guess since JD bought them the quality has went up. that 648 a powershift?

Ah, Treeclimber. Good to see there are still those of us fighting the good fight. :)

Anyway, I actually haven't noticed much either way. I've gotten used saws that were stored dry and they started on the first pull. I've also gotten saws that were stored dry and the fuel lines were melted and the carb diaphragms were stiff. Same goes for storing wet. That said, I usually top off and keep them full of stabilized gas. Put oil in the cylinder and drain the bar oil tank if your saw (like most) pees out its oil over time. Only my 111S holds its oil.

JimL,

There are quite a few people around here who like the cables as well especially up north were it gets hilly I still have a 79 440 JD cables that I use once and a while when I really need it..Yes the 648 is a powershift I have never owned anything but Deere's very good equipment,it also has a 120" bunching grapple my other skidder has a 120" sorting grapple on it.I'm going to check out the 848G this week to see if I might trade in my 548 towards one..

Dennis,

So what do you recomenned doing keeping them full with some stabilizer in them or running them out of fuel and putting them away??

Later Rob...

Any time you store a 2-cycle engine wet it should have a quality fuel stabilizer added to it, Sta-bil is all that comes to my mind right now. That is the biggest problem with homeowners saws, weedeaters,etc. they buy a gallon of gas, mix oil with it and use it for 2 years, when you add oil to gas it detiorates the gas quicker, or spoils it. That is not a problem for people that run through fuel pretty quick though. It takes a month or so to affect the quality of the fuel, i think.

Palmer

fuel

Stihl and Toro have sent bulletins that say to use no fuel over 30 days old.
I think the best thing to do is mix only enough fuel so that you will use it up quickly. For a homeowner, 1 gallon may be too much, for a pro, 5 gal may not make 30 days.
You buy a 300 to 800 dollar saw and you are worried about saving 3 to 5 dollars worth of fuel at the risk of damaging your saw? Don't make sense to me.

Good point, Stihltech. When I wasn't doing treework for a year and the only thing I used mix for was my weedwhacker and blower, a gallon would last me 3 months. I noticed that it made a BIG difference when I used Premium.

Now I'm back in the trees as a freelance climber and I'm using 2½ gallons every 2 weeks, so using Premium isn't as critical. Regular seems to work just as well, but I'm still using Premium for the most part. Who knows when a saw will suddenly get tossed on a shelf for 5 years, then pulled out and fired up. :p

I probably use 1/2 to 3/4 gallon of gas a day.

Not too sure though./

JimL thats all the fuel you use a day:D I usually use upwards of 2 gallons especially if I'm using the new 3120 I just picked up between it and the 385 they go through a fair share of fuel...

Later Rob..

Originally posted by StIhL MaGnUm
JimL thats all the fuel you use a day:D I usually use upwards of 2 gallons especially if I'm using the new 3120 I just picked up between it and the 385 they go through a fair share of fuel...

Later Rob..

I am not sure, I got a 10 gallon tank with a small pump in my truck i put my saw gas in. Never figured it before.

I run all 066's so i could probably figure it out...

JimL,

do you mix 10 gallons at a time or just store the ten gallons then mix as needed??

Anyone have anymore interesting tips on storing saw for a couple months??

Later Rob

Back