Storm acoming

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty much ready to go. Chipper is running just fine, truck is ok, all saws are running just fine. Got a 25' spool of 3/8 chain, plenty of .325, 10 gal of bar oil, and enough mixed gas to last for quite some time. Spoke with the crane company, and have heavy equipment lined up if need be. Beyond that I'm just gonna wait and see what happens... no point in comitting tons of money, manpower, and supplies to this if it winds up the way it historically has gone. Just preparing what I can, and rolling the dice after that.

Hanging out with a friend today who gets a call from some local yocal... guy apparently went out and bought a skid, grapple, and 6 saws in preparation for this "catastrophic event" afterwards he started calling all the local townships to offer his services. :jester:

Im heading to delaware if it gets bad, my family has place in the longneck area. Truck and chipper are ready to go. Anyone going to that area and needing a hand give me a shout.

I'm headed east tonight, gonna lay over in Philly with murph and pick an AO.

simple word of advice, LEAVE THE CHIPPER! bring a bobcat, it all goes on the road for FEMA.

I understand this concept, but I'm just surprised that there wouldn't be a market in a higher end neighborhood where the HO's just want it GONE and don't want to wait for FEMA.

I don't wish any loss of life but lots of messed up trees.

I hate to admit it, but as bad as this year has been in my area, I hope the trees attack hard!! Don't wanna see anybody hurt, just some cheap bastards running around their houses with limbs jabbing through windows and white pines flomping on the roof.. :)

It's already starting.. as I was typing this, a guy from up the road called. I had looked at a days worth of work for him earlier in the year.. funny now with irene breathing down his neck, he suddenly wants those swamp maples by his house taken care of. go figure.

Maybe we take care of it tomorrow for him.

I understand this concept, but I'm just surprised that there wouldn't be a market in a higher end neighborhood where the HO's just want it GONE and don't want to wait for FEMA.

Blakes, If you're there the first couple of weeks, you'll have a hard time even finding a place to dump your chips. Take everything you need with you, gas, fuel, camping gear, generator, MRE's. Infrastructure will be gone. Lot's of chain and spare parts too. After Ike, it was three weeks before I had a hot shower, and this will be worse, going to hit a much larger area.

Last year when I posted something like this, I got busted on hard, but here goes: I would like to work this storm, preferably in conjunction with an established tree service on the coast. I'd be coming from North Ga. Have a 3/4 ton 4wd, 660, 440, 260, 200t, 290, lots of climbing and rigging gear. Unfortunately no GRCS yet. Veteran of many storms working for power company. This would be my first big storm on my own however. Have a good groundman, lots of camping gear, sun shower, etc. etc. Not afraid to work, looking for lots of hrs. Would have to be back on the 7th for my daughters wedding. Have other saws I can probably get going for the storm. Could also bring my chipper truck with a Bandit 250+ if need be . Holler at me if anybody needs help. Also have a friend with a bucket truck who's interested in coming.

I'm headed east tonight, gonna lay over in Philly with murph and pick an AO.

simple word of advice, LEAVE THE CHIPPER! bring a bobcat, it all goes on the road for FEMA.

Fema don't clean #### up here bud , the tree services do , the towns will let that #### rot before they touch it , as a matter of fact I doubt FEMA will even stop by .... good luck to ya and be safe .. And remember to wave at the locals because your a guest here and you don't wanna #### anyone off ...And I am 45 minutes from Cape May and there is no fuel to be had and sawshelves are empty

Last edited:
This page has good maps on the hurricane coming, spaghetti probability charts and more.

Hurricane Spaghetti Models / Spaghetti Charts / Tropical Forecast / Hurricane Charts Models / Tropical Update

storm_09.gif

the-perfect-storm-2.jpg

I'm located in the path of the hurricane and an avid reader of craigs list tools and farm and garden. The scabs have allready started posting ads this is an example

Here are the Generators that I have:

Husky brand, as well as Champion, Centurion etc...

5000 WATT UNIT - $1980
3650 WATT UNIT - $1560
3250 WATT UNIT - $1360
3000 WATT UNIT - $1100

Here are the saws that I have:

Poulon brand,
16" bar length - $435
14" bar length - $350

Please be aware that I accept cash, gold and silver scrap, bullion and coins. Credit cards via PayPal will also be accepted. All sales are final.

What a heartless pr#ck

Yeah, what ever. Maybe pay the guy that got the tree to be fine thru the winter.
Jeff

Most of the work is chasing hangers for several months after the heavy lifting is done. These things keep the locals working for a long time, and it often helps build the client base if you can sell restoration.

The sad ones are where they get scared of the trees and see it an excuse to log the yard out. been there a few times on past storms, like fire mitigation near you guys. The need only take a few trees out to satisfy the insurance/ordinances but they want to take everything bigger then a bush.

One can gain a whole lot of experience working these things too.

I would not wish it on anyone, but nature happens.

That'll happen a week or two into the evolution. Most people just want it off their house and be able to get out of the driveway. It takes several weeks for the FEMA operations to get rolling, so the well heeled will be asking for haul off. I've seen companies chipping in to 30-60 yard dumps as they clean up neighborhoods.

As for pricing, it depends on the severity of the storm, often one can get double or triple time in first week or two when the supply demand curve is in favor of the operator. By the third week everyone and their little sister is a tree company, so there is downward pressure on billable hour cost.

one strategy is to take the calls and offer to do immediate risk mitigation work first and come back for cleanup at a later date. Get the roofs cleaned and driveways cleared so the house can be assessed by the insurance agent. often you can move down the road, or a few blocks over to a friend of a recent client.

As the phone calls come in tell them you are working at $200/man hour and a crew rate of $xxx, if equipment is showing up. Dave and i were billing around $1000/hr when we had the 70ton Grove following the crew around. You tell the people that you show up to do work at the given rate, if they want to wait a week the cost will be coming down.

File the people who are shopping to call on later. Get a POB near by so you can have parts and equipment shipped to you, if there is not a Vermeer store in the area.

As you work, ask where the little old lady in the neighborhood is, who will be needing help. It makes you look good and feel good about what you are doing.

As things slow down, contact churches to see if they have parishioners who cannot afford to get work done, offer to help for some good words. Church people are some of the best word of mouth contacts.

Last edited:
Back