storm chasing guidelines

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphy4trees

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
In over 23 years cutting trees, I've only chased two storms... Hugo in '89 and Isabel in '03.... Both were great learning experiences... When I bought the Super 50 stump grinder last year, it was part of the business plan to chase big storms on the east coast... I'd like to stay a little closer to home if possible, but since Fl. got slammed with four major hurricanes, I have to go. And there will be a lot of overhead runnig so far from home etc...

Right now I plan on subcontracting out the sales to a freind of a friend whom lives in Fl, and subbing out the operating to a trusted friend from Philly, who will drive the machine down and be responsible for watching the money etc..
He wants me to stay and work the sales, cause he knows he'll make more if I AM down there hustling, but I have made it clear I cannot stay. I've got a ton of work here and over 20 people waiting for estimates etc.... I just can't pull up and leave my customers here... That would be too expensive. I also need to be home while my X and my son come home for a ten day visit in October.

So I plan on flying back and forth, renting a car and getting things rolling in a good way. I would consider putting things on hold here and putting a second or third machine on down there, if there is that much work.

I have an associate that can run the phones and customer contact and may be able to schedule some work at home while I Am in Fl, but no one to sell new work.

Any suggestions from those experienced business owners, storm chasers and those blessed with a good dose of common sense are appreciated...

Is storm-chasing really worth the money?

Example: Say a hurricane ripped through your area, and I sent like 10 crews down there to clean up and make a killing; doing jobs that the locals would otherwise have gotten.

Would that be ethically incorrect? Or am I just too nice?

In your case Daniel, you describe yourself as already having too much on your plate (understandable given the circumstances we spoke about over the phone). Is it really wise to spread yourself so thin?

I've also wondered about the liability insurance coverage if you're working out-of-state. I haven't had to deal with that, but is it an issue?

I checked with my agent and I Am completely coverred for working in Fl.

Is storm-chasing really worth the money?

Won't know for sure til I get down there and actually have to see what the expenses are... I like the adventure though and have to roll the dice. The whole idea is to not interupt the flow of work here, while getting the cash coming in from the storm work. I think this can be done well fro stump grinding with the right equipment, people and organization. That's what I Am working on putting together now.

And the joys of being under interstate commerce and transportation laws. I checked the intrastate only box for our USDOT registration.

I think you misunderstood me, Daniel... I was speaking "worth it" ethically, not financially.

Business ethics are just important as making a buck.

so...?

Originally posted by murphy4trees
Won't know for sure til I get down there and actually have to see what the expenses

Seems like a poor plan. Kinda like buying a new saw and then coming here and asking everyone if its any good. A good business plan knows the variables before the money is invested and the mistakes are made. This could pan out and make a killing. It's probably just as likely to bite you in the a$$ and cost you a packet. Good luck.

Originally posted by netree
I think you misunderstood me, Daniel... I was speaking "worth it" ethically, not financially.

Business ethics are just important as making a buck.

so...?

Storm chasing to study them, or to help out the unfortunates left in the wake are admirable activities.

Storm chasing to make a killing is exactly the sort of activity which causes <i>everyones</i> insurance rates (and other costs) to rise.&nbsp; I have an extremely hard time applauding the action regardless who might wish to do it.

Glen

Daniel, I'd have to imagine just the flying and rental car would get expensive Not to mention lodging and meals ect......

I havent heard to much mention about the damage in alabama...:blob2:

get big jon to do your estimates and cut him in on the jobs so he makes good $$ out of running around, that way when you get home work and willing worker are ready to go,it sounds like theres work to do drop your rates a little and things will snowball quickly.what exactly is your hustle plan thou??cant you do estimates and grind:confused:

Of the over 160 jobs I did in Va last year after Isabel, I only had 1 unhappy customer, cause we missed a root. I showed up on time, did what I said I was going to do, returned calls quickly, showed up for estimates quickly (often within hours of getting the call) and did a great job at fair prices. I actually did the stumps much cheaper than I do them in my home market.
The customers loved me! I got most of the work from referals. And there were some people doing the work cheaper, but isn't that always the case! I was able to signifcantly reduce the per stump price by making up for it in quantitiy, and working efficiently by using carbide chains and a good grinder etc.. We were able to stay in the same neighborhood for 2 and 3 days. It was an all around sweet deal. Everybody made out!

I didn't get into the hard hit areas for over a month after the storm, when the price gouging had pretty much subsided. I really fell in love with Va and met some of the nicest people I've ever worked for. They put me up, fed me, and watched the eagle's come back in play offs etc.. There is a different way of life down there... Much more laid back.. I really appreciated that. That gave me a new perspective on my own home area. So YES it was worth it... I was in service and the ravaged community appreciated my love and care for them. I saved a lot of trees by telling people to wait 6 months before making their minds up on remoaving healthy trees. Many were in post traumatic stress..

There is a good bit of risk to this plan, but there is also opportunity. In Latin the same word means danger and opportunity. And I trust my instincts.

Still chasing Ivan here in my neck of the woods.
My mom left for Vero Beach the day before Jeane to work at a shelter. She says it's a very sad site, tore all to hell.

Too much stress working a storm. And STRESS can KILL ya.

Yes, but that link discusses the Chinese symbol not Latin. The chinese symbology has no etemology in the Latin word.

I was just checking to make sure I hadn't missed anything in all those years of Latin.

If the local guys could handle the work load storm chasers would make no money. There is a need in most cases for out of town help to get the job done. Supply/Demand
Greg

Originally posted by murphy4trees

Right now I plan on subcontracting out the sales to a freind of a friend whom lives in Fl, and subbing out the operating to a trusted friend from Philly, who will drive the machine down and be responsible for watching the money etc..
He wants me to stay and work the sales, cause he knows he'll make more if I AM down there hustling, but I have made it clear I cannot stay.
Curious why two person operation one for sales and one operator for stump grinding? why can't operator do the sales? Storm work I have dealt with over the years most of the work was pretty much in a line , start at the entrance and work your way down the street. Do you really need to pay a salesman to sell a grinding job when your operater is next door doing the grinding? Less overhead, more profit. Offer your operater a percentage of the sales and since it will be his responsibilty to keep machine running, that will be incentive to make more sales. Might think about checking hours on unit to determine cash flow also. Sort of hours worked should equal x amount of $$$. As for spreading thin, I would not discredit my local customers and give them top priority Storm work is quick cash but locals are the bread & butter. good luck.

Daniel,
Tried to send you a PM thanks for the stump grinding referal in Richmond but you box is full. So here it is,

Thanks

Michael

Dada,
The machine I own is so fast, that it is a waste of time to have the operator running on appointments to look at work... The way to make the big $ is to keep that machine grinding... unfortunately we got to port charolette late, the grinding is going for dirt cheap... and the customers are the cheapest peoploe I have ever worked for... not many big stumos.. jobs are averaging less than $200 each.... Maybe need to move to Pensicolla or the East Coast.. apparently everyone else has.. I only saw 4 other stump grinders while driving around the area for 4.5 days... I never touched the machine, just drove around and sold the work!

I'm local, Cen. FL. I've been working the 3- Storms that hit here. The Chasers have jacked up the qoute's and that allowed me to raise my Bids some. Call it Hurricane pricing or whatever. But don't call it gouging. Even my regular clients understand it's hazardous work. I have no problem with outa towners we have plenty of work to go around.

Back