Straightened my 036 crank, kinda.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beech

Reaction score
So i got a 036 from my father in law last week. He had gotten it from one of his friends, its pretty much complete less a b/c, clutch assy and clutch cover, didn't look like it was used much and had a shop tag left on it. I started looking at it tonight, the cylinder looks perfect with clearly visible hone marks, piston looks great, comp feels good.

I started degreasing the clutch side crankcase exterior and flushed out a bunch of metal chunks, found the oil hose severed and the oil pump is pretty chewed up (but itself is probably ok), i'm guessing a catastrophic clutch failure? I checked the crank runout and it was at .014, probably the reason it came back from the repair shop in the first place..... So i put my thinkin' cap on:msp_sneaky:and decided to attempt a 3rd world solution to a first world problem, i marked the "high" side of the crank end, grabbed a 1# sledge and a brass drift. It took 6 solid whacks but i got it to .001!!!!!!!!!! I was actually shooting for less than .003 in my head.

Ya, i know, i know, i know, its murder on the bearings, the crank is now some degree weaker than before, etc. I ain't making a living with this thing, i'm not going to put it on CL or Flea-bay and sell it to some unsuspecting **** (like my frickin self when i payed WAY too much for a roached 044, another story another time....), if it works out i'll put it in rotation for cutting firewood.

Has anybody else done this with positive or negative results?

Last edited:
So i got a 036 from my father in law last week. He had gotten it from one of his friends, its pretty much complete less a b/c, clutch assy and clutch cover, didn't look like it was used much and had a shop tag left on it. I started looking at it tonight, the cylinder looks perfect with clearly visible hone marks, piston looks great, comp feels good.

I started degreasing the clutch side crankcase exterior and flushed out a bunch of metal chunks, found the oil hose severed and the oil pump is pretty chewed up (but itself is probably ok), i'm guessing a catastrophic clutch failure? I checked the crank runout and it was at .014, probably the reason it came back from the repair shop in the first place..... So i put my thinkin' cap on:msp_sneaky:and decided to attempt a 3rd world solution to a first world problem, i marked the "high" side of the crank end, grabbed a 1# sledge and a brass drift. It took 6 solid whacks but i got it to .001!!!!!!!!!! I was actually shooting for less than .003 in my head.

Ya, i know, i know, i know, its murder on the bearings, the crank is now some degree weaker than before, etc. I ain't making a living with this thing, i'm not going to put it on CL or Flea-bay and sell it to some unsuspecting **** (like my frickin self when i payed WAY too much for a roached 044, another story another time....), if it works out i'll put it in rotation for cutting firewood.

Has anybody else done this with positive or negative results?

I'm guessing you didn't exactly straighten the crank, but rather just centered it a bit better in the bearings. Been there, done that.
Have two 036's on the bench right now with a similar condition to what you describe. Had both cranks checked with V-blocks and dial gauge for runout and both were in spec, even though you can still see a little wobble with em back in the cases with new bearings.

And yeah, one of em had the same problem with a major catastrophic clutch needle bearing failure. Known issue on the 036's and there's an upgraded bearing and drum kit available.

Here's a good 036 thread...

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/190161.htm

Poge

Latest posts

Back