stretch air

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the pair i have are blue with black hard wearing knee pads
dont think they have a pic on the site, i can take a shot if you like though

There is a very good chance that leg protection for all chainsaw users will be written into ANSI within the next five years. Probably not for the current re-write though.

If anyone wants to give the ANSI committee feedback, there is a form at the back of the Z133 or you could write to Jim Skiera @ ISA. Instead of grumbling about legislation, take an active part in its development. This is a political process that effects you. I get a chuckle out of the chatter on the forums but the lack of participation. Like the political process, it can be changed with active participation. Instead of chatting with the choir here, talk to the preacher.

Tom

Originally posted by stephenbullman
but we're lowely tree surgeons, not politicians:confused:
YOu cannot be heard if you do not speak in the process. ISA folks I've talked to over the years say how hard it is to get any feedback at all. "Politicians" want to listen to lowly tree surgeons; don't sell your voice short.

re ANSI, there are people who make their living out of regulating. If the regulatees don't speak up, then the regulators' voice will be disproportionate. Jim Skiera's ears and mind are open as far as I know; he listened to talk about selective heading cuts.:angel: , which some others attacked without thinking.

yeah they are ripstop material ,but my opinion is they wont last 4 months if climbing daily,bit too pricey and gucci for me ,might be ok for the young trendy so called climbers....... but us ols soaks arnt fashion victims are we ? like i said look good in the pub ,

well my wife says they make my arse look good, like buns of steel. surely thats worth the extra £50

You blue and pink wearing guys are a bunch of pansies. I am convinced that the only really manly and foolproof way to protect myself against chainsaw contact in the tree is to wear full medieval chain mail while climbing. Sure I can only footlock 40 ft in ten minutes, but I'm prepared if I run into the the black knight, and the ladies love it.

Chainsaw protective pants are compulsory here (or chaps), the law doesnt say its has to be C protection and alot of guys wear A's.
I wear a set of C's, yeah when your short of money you do tend to wear only one pair for weeks on end, luckily they are so thick they absorb alot of funk.....:eek:
My girlfriend who can smell if I have worn a pair of socks or a shirt for 2 days has only stirred about the smell of the pants when they somehow missed the washing basket for 2 months.
Sounds crazy but on the other hand how often to you clean your chaps?

I have said it before but CHAINSAW PANTS ROCK! they do take quite a bit of getting used to but I just wouldnt be without them now. Whether for thorns, being attacked by a dog or falling off your motorcycle, or wet dish towel fights, they have saved my ass many times. (one day they just might work with the chainsaw)

i was told once that ballistics should only be washed upto a max of 14 times in there useable life and then never put on a spin cycle ,somethin to do with moving the strand in the make up of the trouser ?

i've never heard that before. i wonder if its true though because it it were surely that would have been touched upon during our chainsaw assessments and also it would be stated on the label in the trousers

i was under the impression that if your ballistics were washed very offen then it can possibly make the fibreious material brital if the are washed on a high heat frequantly, this is only what i have been told.

Originally posted by Tom Dunlap
Instead of grumbling about legislation, take an active part in its development. This is a political process that effects you.

That is just crazy talk:D

We have A here and I use A when using a chainsaw in a tree.

Mostly I run through big trees knocking out large dead wood and doing hazard accessments so I wear jeans, shoe of the day, and a zubat on my leg.

No chainsaw = no chainsaw trousers;)

You will find that most chainsaw trouser manufacturers won't state information on the washing of their garments, SIPs' (trade) rather than professional can be machine washed, problems arise when you tumble dry, hanging trousers causes the fibers to pull. Any advice in that area is best sought from David Cooper-Holmes at Workware.

Ste - highly likely wouldn't have been covered within your chainsaw training as it is not part of the NPTC schedule of assessment, you have to state what PPE a chainsaw opertator shoudl be wearing but that is it. I tend to take my candidates thorugh different PPE, types, makes, cleaning also the differences in type A/C, Chaps and what chaps are acceptable. Depends on your training provider - Consistency of information what's that then?

Stretch air are good, but so are the SIPs', the new freedom range are also worth a try. Type A.

yep a friend of mine just got the freedoms. be interesting to see whose last longest, though he wont be climbing however

sporty

its good to hear that you can get other colours than neon (and there i was thinking that we had left the neon days in my youth, rock on global hyper colour)

i washed my huskies for the first time last weekend (got them in december....) they were worn in....felt like a second skin......

after ripping the crotch out of my last pair, i now wear a nice baggy large....

jamie

I dig climbing in old school Army issue cargo pants. The big pockets are cool for stuffing a bag of sunflower seeds, gloves, chew or smokes. I only wear the old Vietnam era pants that are solid OD green, made of rip stop materiel. They are hard to find now a days, but I order about a dozen pair from Ranger Joes every year. They are not protective gear, but for climbing they are loose and light weight. In my oppinion, they are the Dogs Bollocks!

Kenn

The saw protetion class/type system was developed for different sizes of saw. In the US, I think if all you operate are small saws, then class A is ok, but if your's running higher CC models then class/type C would be required (at least for ground operations)

LaBonniville reps have told me that it is a myth that washing chaps/pants will degrade the protective fibers. Just follow the instruction tag and you'll be fine. Mine have one.

Latest posts

Back