String trimmer Curved or straight shaft

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cat-face timber

Knot Bumper
Reaction score
What is the difference between straight shaft or curved shaft.
What does the straight shaft do that the curved will not?

I am looking to get a new string trimmer, and not sure what the difference is.

I am just a homeowner that loves gas engines.
I will not do alot of trimming.

Thanks for any and all help.

A curved shaft trimmer uses a flexible "speedometer" cable whereas a straight shaft uses a solid drive shaft and a gear box at the end. Curved shaft trimmers are light duty, cannot use brush blades and can be prone to problems if you push them. They are pretty much homeowner tools. While the gearbox on the straight shafts needs periodic greasing they can be had in more powerful and pro models and you can replace the string head with a brush blade.

I bought a curved shaft Stihl this year only because I knew it was only going to be used around my house if I had a farm it would be a straight shaft trimmer so I could add different power heads to it

DSC_5033.jpg

It only takes about 30 minutes to do the trim around my house and this one does the job

Stihl FS 110 R you wont be sorry it is a very nice weedwacker.

Straight shaft all the way. If you have heavy grass to cut, the stihl fs 90 or 110 are excellent machines. If you have only light trimming and edging in a suburban yard, a midrange husquvarna has been great to me (125L). But straight shaft is the only way to go.

Straight shaft all the way. If you have heavy grass to cut, the stihl fs 90 or 110 are excellent machines. If you have only light trimming and edging in a suburban yard, a midrange husquvarna has been great to me (125L). But straight shaft is the only way to go.

My Husky 326LS has been great.

IMO, it is harder to flip a curved shaft vertical to trim along walks and driveways. I bought one curved shaft trimmer and will never buy another one. Plus, if you are above average height, the curved shaft trimmer will cut on too much of an angle.

Some straight shaft trimmers have the cable drive, too, but they are still better than the curved shaft.I like the bump type trimmer that stihl makes.I've tried the one's that have the plastic blades and were you have to use the pre-cut line.I was spending more time changing them than I was trimming.Chain link fences eat them up quick.

Ditto that on the drive *cable*. many of the "box store" brands and "entry level"
models of "Dealer" brands now have cable type drives.
If it is not clearly stated in the sales literature (a big Bragging point usually)
You'll need to ask Very pointed and specifically as to which type is in the one you choose.
I find the "multi tool" (split shaft) types seem to feel a bit more zizzy to my hands
But even with cable, I think the one piece runs with less vibration.

But regular cleaning (yearly) and regreasing of the cable or shaft is very important to the tool life.
and a dose of fresh, clean grease in cable types does help dampen a bit of the vibs!!
also, don't forget to check and grease the head/gearbox above the string head on any type.

straight. i hold mine upside down nearly vertical to trim all my beds (keeping a nice tight edge on it). this is impossible to do w/o major back ache with a curved...

Stihl FS 110 R you wont be sorry it is a very nice weedwacker.

i have owned my 110r for a year now,my brother has a lawn service and he uses fs90's he swears by them,plus if you buy the sixpack of ultra oil you get a 4 year warranty,you won't be disappointed with either one,they are a pro grade weed wacker:msp_thumbup:

i have owned my 110r for a year now,my brother has a lawn service and he uses fs90's he swears by them,plus if you buy the sixpack of ultra oil you get a 4 year warranty,you won't be disappointed with either one,they are a pro grade weed wacker:msp_thumbup:

But, it is heavy if you don't need the power it has.

I don't ind it to be to heavy guess it depends on the person, I use mine for hours at a time with out a issue.

I don't ind it to be to heavy guess it depends on the person, I use mine for hours at a time with out a issue.

Me neither. It is heavier than my old one, but I got used to it. Balanced real well. Gets heavier when you're on the 5th or 6th tank of the day.

FS-130 here with bike handles. I cut a lot with it around the farm. Although it's a little heavier than some models, it has gobs of power that I reall like. Wearing the double shoulder harness to support it makes the weight a non-issue for me.

Latest posts

Back