String trimmer Curved or straight shaft

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also prefer the straight shaft in a trimmer. However, there are many good models that use a drive cable and are plenty powerful and sturdy enough for a typical homeowners use. The stihl FS70 has plenty of power for trimming around the home yet is light enough for most people of all sizes to be comfortable.

straight shaft only....a good homeowner unit is the stihl FS55R, its pretty bulletproof

Trimmer

I have a really old FS 44 that I just retuned...runs fine. Had the string head on it but got rid of it a while back...Too much of a pain changing it out all the time...fences eat it up!...Using a Poly-Cut head now and it works for my tough, stringy, heavy weeds and the plastic blades wear down before they ruin things and are easily changed...Going to get a metal blade for it soon...maybe just the basic three-blade one for now...Point is the straight-shaft trimmers fm Stihl give you more choices as to what or how you're going to cut. You can put the head of your choice on the end of that shaft. If all you need is a string trimmer these will obviously give you options down the road. I don't think the curved shaft ones give you that option...And from what I've seen the new ones are vastly different from my old one. But it stihl works fine!... I use a single shoulder harness that carries most of the weight and helps balance it well.

Back