String Trimmiers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomGraz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new string trimmer. It's for typical use around the house. I'd use it little more than that from time to time.

I'm looking at Echo models because I've heard good things about them. Can someone tell me about the starting mechanisms they advertise? I see they have "I-30" and "I-75" starting systems in addition to what I take to be a regular starter. Any other insight about the products is appreciated.

Thanks,

Tomgraz

I'm in the market for a new string trimmer. It's for typical use around the house. I'd use it little more than that from time to time.

I'm looking at Echo models because I've heard good things about them. Can someone tell me about the starting mechanisms they advertise? I see they have "I-30" and "I-75" starting systems in addition to what I take to be a regular starter. Any other insight about the products is appreciated.

Thanks,

Tomgraz

I dont know about those models...

BUT

Find a Stihl FS90...

No 2 stroke in the world can possible pull as easy as a 4 mix trimmer, even with starting assist...

:clap::clap:

I looked at a Husky 128LDx yesterday. It has a 28cc motor compared to the 21cc on the Echo. That's the big difference, except the Echo's 5 year warranty. The prices are close. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Tom

I have the Stihl FS45...just the basics. Always fires on the 2-3rd pull.

I have owned an echo blower pb2000(I think) since 1997...Always started. I have put easily 300 hours on this blower over the years, many times running it an hour at a time(very long driveway). Not one problem. I like the echos for blowers & trimmers.

I have fs90R always starts 2-3 pulls. Lots of power for around the house and enough power to edge also (you really wouldnt have to buy an edger) and juist sips the gas. Easier to rebuild when time comes (pro model). I have had an fs 45 before also. Good for homeowner. Tough little trimmer.

Cant go wrong with both. Good luck in yoru decision.

can't go wrong with the echo 230, the 225 has a lot more plastic parts than the 230 and being that I use them in a commercial business, I don't need plastic but the srm-230 is a dang good trimmer for the money..

If your buying a chainsaw , stick with husky, stihl , dolmar , european built stuff. BUT , if buying a smaller motor ( ie; string trimmer/brushcutter) , the japanese motors are better .

Whatever unit you buy I would avoid buying one with the curved end. They're typically shorter than the straight type and make you lean over more when using them. Also they're not as easy to turn 90° and use for edging.

Just got my dream string trimmer a week or so ago it's an Echo SRM 280-T with the high torque gear box, which does ad a lot of torque at the spinning end of business. The warranty can't be beat and that's because they build these engines for commercial use and see them to the commercial guys with a full 2 year warranty and so figuring that the average consumer (probably didn't see me in that demographic) would put far less wear and tear on any given unit we get a 5 year full warranty. And as long as this tool is maninained I can't see any need for my dealer to service it for quite a while all service is pretty straight forward and guy with a tool box can keep these Echos in tip top shape with common hand tools common parts and care in the details.
Now that said for what you say you plan to deal with I'd recommend the SRM-265T it is a work horse and only a little less power than the SRM 280T but at the same time it save an amount of weight that is noticeable in a handheld trimmer. Good Luck.

I am going to have to disagree a bit. I cut 5 acres and spend a couple of hours weekly using a trimmer. I have owned Echo, Kawasaki and Husqvarna trimmers. Husqvarna is by far my favorite. The Echo and Kawasaki were nice trimmers, but were both hard to cold start. I now have a Husqvarna 326LS and absolutely love it. It is a commercial model with 1.2hp, solid shaft and weighs only 9lbs. It will crank on the first or second pull every time and will run all day long. I bought it on ebay new for $299. A couple of other models to look at that are both available at Tractor Supply:

1. Husqvarna 223L - Similar engine to the 326ls but has cable drive instead of solid shaft. $259
2. Husqvarna 323L - Same engine as the 223l, but has solid shaft. $279

These are commercial duty engines with dual piston rings, bearing supported shafts, etc. The 128L that you are looking at is a homeowner model. Nothing wrong with it, but I would spend an extra $50 or so and get a commercial model.

Don't make the mistake of comparing engine displacement (cc's) without comparing the power. Some of the Troybilt's and Homelite's have 30-something cc's, but aren't nearly as powerful as the 25cc Husqvarna and Stihl's.

I have nothing against the Stihl's, but am just not sure that I want to go the 4-mix route. I don't want to fool with a valve adjustment on a trimmer. I also wonder if, with time, carbon deposits will form on the valves. This will be much more difficult to clean than an exhaust port.

My 2 cents....

Everyone has a preference to what they like and that's what makes it great, but 2 ring pistons don't mean it's a more durable engine. Echo uses a single (wider ring, because they spend more money precision machining the engine and the single ring causes less friction, thereby getting you more power and a longer service life and the wider ring also acts as a better heat sink than just a standard single piston. Hence the best commercial or consumer warranty. My echos, and I also have a Stihl always start on the first or second pull. A lot of that has to do with keeping them serviced and good gas and oil. Just another 2 cents so this thread may end up being worth a quarter LOL. Take care.

Everyone has a preference to what they like and that's what makes it great, but 2 ring pistons don't mean it's a more durable engine. Echo uses a single (wider ring, because they spend more money precision machining the engine and the single ring causes less friction, thereby getting you more power and a longer service life and the wider ring also acts as a better heat sink than just a standard single piston. Hence the best commercial or consumer warranty. My echos, and I also have a Stihl always start on the first or second pull. A lot of that has to do with keeping them serviced and good gas and oil. Just another 2 cents so this thread may end up being worth a quarter LOL. Take care.

I did a lot of research on the 2 piston ring issue and there is not a consensus. You will find arguments on both sides. What I do know is that Echo is one of the only major manufacturer of commercial trimmers (Dolmar/Robin is the only other one that I am aware of) that uses the single piston ring setup. Shindaiwa, Tanaka, Stihl, Husqvarna, Kawasaki, Maruyama, and Redmax all use dual piston ring setups on their commercial trimmers. FWIW, Tanaka now has the best warranty: 7 year consumer and 2 year commercial. The reason I did not buy a Tanaka is that there is not a Tanaka dealer in my area.

Sorry about that I should have said that I am aware of and Tanaka isn't anything we have available locally here either. And yah I don't want to start another single ring vs. 2 ring debate either, but a lot of people debating this try and show some junk off brand trimmers that have single rings and use that as a comparison 2 why the Echos aren't as good while that's all they no about either engine. I believe that a person should do some research and then go and actually try the tools out and see what works good for them my Echo, Scag, Toro etc... etc.... dealer here that I deal with is very good about not pressuring people into anything and letting them try things out, within reason. I've been using Stihl and Echo side by side for almost 10 years now and honestly think they are 2 very good brands. My reason for buying "new" echos more often is simple my Stihl dealer locally isn't the best at customer service and support and if I ever did have an issue I want it to be taken care of properly so I go where the people are good and the tools being of the same caliber I've just been buying Echo the last few years. So to each there own, just make sure it's what you want before you pay for it and leave the dealer and I'm sure you'll be happy.

Sorry about that I should have said that I am aware of and Tanaka isn't anything we have available locally here either. And yah I don't want to start another single ring vs. 2 ring debate either, but a lot of people debating this try and show some junk off brand trimmers that have single rings and use that as a comparison 2 why the Echos aren't as good while that's all they no about either engine. I believe that a person should do some research and then go and actually try the tools out and see what works good for them my Echo, Scag, Toro etc... etc.... dealer here that I deal with is very good about not pressuring people into anything and letting them try things out, within reason. I've been using Stihl and Echo side by side for almost 10 years now and honestly think they are 2 very good brands. My reason for buying "new" echos more often is simple my Stihl dealer locally isn't the best at customer service and support and if I ever did have an issue I want it to be taken care of properly so I go where the people are good and the tools being of the same caliber I've just been buying Echo the last few years. So to each there own, just make sure it's what you want before you pay for it and leave the dealer and I'm sure you'll be happy.

Well said. I have had good service out of Echo products. My Echo blower is one of the easiest starting and most reliable handhelds that I own. The 261T trimmer that I had was just not for me. As you said, lay your hands on it first, and it should give you years of service.

I am going to have to disagree a bit. I cut 5 acres and spend a couple of hours weekly using a trimmer. I have owned Echo, Kawasaki and Husqvarna trimmers. Husqvarna is by far my favorite. The Echo and Kawasaki were nice trimmers, but were both hard to cold start. I now have a Husqvarna 326LS and absolutely love it. It is a commercial model with 1.2hp, solid shaft and weighs only 9lbs. It will crank on the first or second pull every time and will run all day long. I bought it on ebay new for $299. A couple of other models to look at that are both available at Tractor Supply:

1. Husqvarna 223L - Similar engine to the 326ls but has cable drive instead of solid shaft. $259
2. Husqvarna 323L - Same engine as the 223l, but has solid shaft. $279

These are commercial duty engines with dual piston rings, bearing supported shafts, etc. The 128L that you are looking at is a homeowner model. Nothing wrong with it, but I would spend an extra $50 or so and get a commercial model.

Don't make the mistake of comparing engine displacement (cc's) without comparing the power. Some of the Troybilt's and Homelite's have 30-something cc's, but aren't nearly as powerful as the 25cc Husqvarna and Stihl's.

I have nothing against the Stihl's, but am just not sure that I want to go the 4-mix route. I don't want to fool with a valve adjustment on a trimmer. I also wonder if, with time, carbon deposits will form on the valves. This will be much more difficult to clean than an exhaust port.
My 2 cents....

You wont need to adjust the valves more than once every couple hundred hours....thats allot of trimming.....

Yes there is carbon build up....but they have a decarbonizing fluid for that....

(start the motor, heat it up, remove spark plug, pour in decarbonizing fluid, wait 20 minutes to an hour, pour out, pull cord a few times, install plug, get to work) <---this process wont need to be done but once a season MAYBE...mostly once every couple sesons....

IF you don't at least look at the 4 MIX trimmers you are doing yourself an injustice...

FS90R sells for $299....

If I needed a trimmer right now, I wouldnt buy anything but 4 mix...

No other trimmer can compare to the 4 mix trimmers in all catagories...

Quite, powerful, fast, easy to start....

It really is a no brainer....

Back