Stuck on new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

69mach1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys new to site today but have been reading things that pop up on Google search for quite some time so ive come to ask for help. I currently have a ms 250... i know not a pro saw but in my defense when i bought it 16 years ago i was told it was... it was a replcemet saw for my old ones...been a great saw for me so far no issues other than to small for what i did with it and have bought all my other products from stihl... just not that dealer. Anyway i am looking for a new saw i wanted a ms 261 or a ms 391 two different saws i know but the mtronic scares me so want to know how long they last i wanted a 24 inch bar but only need a 20 and im only interested in a stihl no husqvarna dealer around me only big box stores.. any input is much appreciated thanks in advance justin

Find yourself a good old 039 or 390 in good shape. No 'tronics', 'stratos' or 'auto gizmos' to worry about.

Might piss off the tree huggers with all that extra pollution, but you'll sleep better at night ;) ...... seriously.

Thanks been trying kinda hard to get decent deals in Canada just want to get new now because of that

I don't know about Canada but here in the US, the 261 can be gotten with a standard carb. I've had my m-tronic 661 for over a year with no issues. If you're only running a 20" bar, I'd vote 261. Better build and less weight. It's an impressive saw. I'm sure you could run a 24" and skip chain if needed. My 50cc saws get used the most. Good power for most of my cutting without too much weight.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Good to know thank you I will ask the dealer if I can get it with a standard carb I would have less worries that way and I have thought about running a 24in bar with a skip tooth chain very intermittently though 20in really all I need thank you for the reply

Back