Stump Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottyStump

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Gang:

I need your help. I am a dedicated stumpgrinder. I am buying a new saw and want your opinion. Occasionally, I am asked to cut storm-felled trees , cut high stumps and will probably be selling cord wood when I get my splitter finished.

Currently I have a (don't laugh) Poulan, 46cc, 20" bar and a Stihl 041 (older model) 20" Bar.

I want a saw that can handle a 24" bar with some gusto that is still lighter than the 041. The Poulan is a piece of Shi! only good for limbing on the ground.

I am looking at the Husky 365 or the Stihl MS 390. I am not enough of a saw guy to know which brand is better but I do know that both these brands represent some gusto. Also considerig the Jonsered equivalent.

amendment: I didn't realize you get so many of these requests, sorry for the trouble fellas.

thanks.

-scott:confused:

Last edited:
where to go

Rocky:

I guess the 70CC is what your telling me. Any suggestions for dealers on the net?

Thanks.

If you have a Domar dealer in your area take a look at the 7900. I wish I'd gotten one sooner.

Scott call me and I can meet you at my rental property so you can try a few different saws out. I have a 372 from Dan Henry, I also have a few others that we can run so you can be educated before you go to Coperas Moutain.
How did you make out at mayberrys?

I was Scott's first stump grinding job he ever did, The work he did was awesome and the price was right.

Thanks

Make life easier on yourself,get the 365 or 372.Why? Check the Husky and Stihl sites.Pay attention to oiler tank volume on each brand which is indicitive of what the oiler is capable of delivering to the bar.If you're going to run a 24" bar,in my opinion,you're better off with a Husky and should get better bar wear.Stump cuts can be dirty and a little extra oil comes in handy.

Those mid range Stihl saws are a good buy for the money but a little too lean on oiler volume,especially for a 24" bar.

Rick out

If you want just the one pro saw, and it is going to be stock, get the 044/440 it's tougher in the long run than a 372. They get used all over by production folks all over the West and has been a pretty steady saw.

You can get husky and jonsered saws online with ease, but Stihls you HAVE to buy at a dealer, or on ebay. Whichever one is more convienent, I buy my tools from a dealer for better service when I need it, not that I ever really have had to have someone else fix my tools but I'm sure that will happen soon enough.

My advice is that same as everone else's go with the 044 or possibly if you want more HP, the 046 model. The 044 should handle just about any stumps you can toss at it, until you get into stumps larger than 5' around, at which point I would jsut advise you get either 1. the US Army to send an artillery division to balst the thing out, or 2. an 066 or 088 to cut the stump with.

Stihl/Husky are both just about as good as each other, the only differences are the colors on them the HP/weight ratios, the model #s and the price tags. other than that, they're both pretty much the same, but parts arent interchangeable between stihl and husky saws, although I think the pistons may be if they are the same bore/stroke.

Hey oldsaw-addict.

Listen.  You've got potential, kid.  Those boots should maybe be broken in a bit longer before you hit it so hard with 'em, don't you think?

Glen

Scotty, I'll agree with everyone else-almost. An 044 or 372 would be adequate-I've been using a Husky 268xp for about a decade for the very purpose you propose. The 268 is comparable to the 372-slighly less displacement and several generations older-the 372 is 268's great grandbaby. IF I were buying a dedicated stump saw I would buy a Husky 385, Stihl 460 or Dolmar 7900 but The 70cc class saws are so adequate for 95% of the stumpcuts that I haven't bothered putting a bigger saw in service yet.

About 20 months ago I sold a used 044 to a couple retired guys that were going to cut and grind stumps. The one guys son runs a tree service and his father and buddy grind the stumps. I believed it worked out fine for them.

Bill

The ms440 would get my vote! The 044/440 is a great saw, VERY reliable and light weight. I just bought another one. I also have an ms460 and 066 but for 99% of what I cut I prefer the 044. The 044 is a pound lighter than the 046 and has almost the same preformance with a 20''-24'' bar and 7 pin sprocket.

Stumper, I beleive that the 272 would be the 372xp's granddad, not the 268, it was a bastard take off of the fine machine the 266. got alot of time on both saws very tough and I would prefer them roight now over the newer 365/372.

You never stated what size stumps that you are cutting........ If I was cutting stumps day in and day out. I would select a larger saw like the 066. This saw has tons of power and torgue to get the job done efficiently. I would not purchase this saw if I were to be cutting 10-20 inch stumps on a regular basis, but in the stump grinding business you have to be prepared for what ever size work the customer has.

I went back to running Stihl 440s as I am used to them and I find them very reliable and having plenty of power.

i do quite a lot of stumps and id recomend a husky 385 ..cutting down stumps imo seems to take it out of a saw ..or go for the big Dolmar i think model number is 7900 thats also a good saw..but to be honest you'll probably need a range of saws..one saw usualy does'nt do all

Originally posted by ROLLACOSTA
i do quite a lot of stumps and id recomend a husky 385 ..cutting down stumps imo seems to take it out of a saw ..or go for the big Dolmar i think model number is 7900 thats also a good saw..but to be honest you'll probably need a range of saws..one saw usualy does'nt do all

Unless you get a PP7900 model, then you WILL have a universal saw for most of the crap that gets thrown at you by the god of trees. An 066 is great for almost anything out there, except for one thing, trimming the christmas tree. :D then you just get the 020T out.

I've been told that a PP7900 will cut with an 088 in stock form, or will the PP7900 outcut the 088? I cant recall that particular detail very well. In either case, its still about $300-700 less than an 088 new, from dan henry, including the PP mods and all. I cant recall if the 088 is in the $1200 or $1800 range for a price tag.

Latest posts

Back