Stumped on a ms200t..Help please?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willbarryrec

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey folks.

I thought I was doing all right on fixing saws but this one has got me licked and I need a mental kick in the pants......So of course I thought of you all! :D

Anyway Stihl Ms 200t my arborist buddy gave to me after his dad slightly ran up on it with a truck :msp_scared:...Broke the chain brake,clutch cover and a few other minor things....It was still running but he said it didn't owe him anything.

So I tore it down,Vac tested it and checked out the P/C.....which was slightly scored on the exhaust side ..It looked to me like the saw had been running rich, built up some carbon and the carbon smeared the piston around the rings......I thought the piston and cylinder cleaned up well with some acid....I got some rings from the bay and put it back together and now it runs but.........

It will fire up and even idle at first but at full throttle it seems to load up like it's getting too much mix...it will bog down and struggle to keep running and at idle down it just quits,it will restart with a few pulls and holding full throttle....I really think it is flooding out and just getting way too much fuel.....but why? :angry:

The compression seems to be good .
I put a carb kit in it and made sure the gaskets were in correctly.
I adjusted the carb to factory settings? 1 1/4 turns out on the low and the high has a limiter cap ,I set that in the middle of it's range.
I have tried adjusting the metering lever down until it won't pull fuel anymore.
I pulled the exhaust and made sure that nothing funky had happened..nothing I could see.
I looked at the impulse line and it looked fine.
I thought about the tank vent acting up and pressurizing the tank...pushing too much fuel thru the carb?
I haven't messed with tank vents too much,it does seem like if I run it with the air filter off so I can see it will squirt some fuel out the vent every so often... is that normal?
When I run it for a minute the fuel tank will hiss at me when I crack it open....but a few of my other saws do that too?

Anyways I would really like to get this thing running right and thank you all in advance for your help!:yourock:

Last edited:
I had a similar problem on 2 of these. The welch plug was loose/leaking on both of them. A little dab of the wife's fingernail polish on a pick and run it around the edge of the welch plug. Seals it back up real nice. Both saws have been running great since.

i had a similar problem with my 200t last week ,poor idle to a stall , crappy accel , noticed slight fuel seep on line to carb ,ok no prob ,picked up and installed new filter and oe line .started and adjusted h &l needles warmed up abit ,poor transition to full throttle feathering trigger most of the time ,stalling ocasionally when coming back down to idle from wfo , kept messing with adjustments ,no success ,added a 1/2 oz seafoam to tank and ran it a bit more then walked away for a day or so , restarted and reset needles to base settings ,runs good !!!i am thinkin some micro restriction in carb passages that seafoam dissolved [or it just healed ] the little bugger is healthy again and thats all i wanted . i can see a carb replacement if symptoms recur in future

Thanks pioneerguy600,kr5258 and JRepairsK70e!

I think I will try the nail polish trick tomorrow...as well as looking for carbs tonight.

:cheers:

Hey folks.

I thought I was doing all right on fixing saws but this one has got me licked and I need a mental kick in the pants......So of course I thought of you all! :D

Anyway Stihl Ms 200t my arborist buddy gave to me after his dad slightly ran up on it with a truck :msp_scared:...Broke the chain brake,clutch cover and a few other minor things....It was still running but he said it didn't owe him anything.

So I tore it down,Vac tested it and checked out the P/C.....which was slightly scored on the exhaust side ..It looked to me like the saw had been running rich, built up some carbon and the carbon smeared the piston around the rings......I thought the piston and cylinder cleaned up well with some acid....I got some rings from the bay and put it back together and now it runs but.........

It will fire up and even idle at first but at full throttle it seems to load up like it's getting too much mix...it will bog down and struggle to keep running and at idle down it just quits,it will restart with a few pulls and holding full throttle....I really think it is flooding out and just getting way too much fuel.....but why? :angry:

The compression seems to be good .
I put a carb kit in it and made sure the gaskets were in correctly.
I adjusted the carb to factory settings? 1 1/4 turns out on the low and the high has a limiter cap ,I set that in the middle of it's range.
I have tried adjusting the metering lever down until it won't pull fuel anymore.
I pulled the exhaust and made sure that nothing funky had happened..nothing I could see.
I looked at the impulse line and it looked fine.
I thought about the tank vent acting up and pressurizing the tank...pushing too much fuel thru the carb?
I haven't messed with tank vents too much,it does seem like if I run it with the air filter off so I can see it will squirt some fuel out the vent every so often... is that normal?
When I run it for a minute the fuel tank will hiss at me when I crack it open....but a few of my other saws do that too?

Anyways I would really like to get this thing running right and thank you all in advance for your help!:yourock:
Does it do it if you run it with the air filter off?

According to what I have observed, there has been a lot of carb issues with those saws, but that happens with most smaller saws.......

yes it does. No change with or without the air filter.:msp_mad:

Thanks SkippyKtm I'll take a look.:clap:

sounds like a carb problem but first check where the carb mounts for any leaks .Do you see a round metal ring and a metal spacer right where the carb mounts ,Or that air boot may have a leak.What is the carb actually doing spitting a lot of fuel like flooding and spitting back?

on a 200T, the tank breather intake sits up inside the airbox next to the carb. If you've got any hint of a leak from the breather, the carb picks up the fuel and bogs down rich as hell. Strip & fix the dodgy tank breather and it's hose, she'll be good to go

on a 200T, the tank breather intake sits up inside the airbox next to the carb. If you've got any hint of a leak from the breather, the carb picks up the fuel and bogs down rich as hell. Strip & fix the dodgy tank breather and it's hose, she'll be good to go

Pgg thanks for the advice...That sounds exactly like what is happening.
I would have been working on it today except I have been laying around with a stomach bug and trying not to puke.:bang:

The vent portion in the tank is what I would replace right? The little rubber disk with a nipple on the top? Part no 1110 353 1600 I think

Lone wolf

sounds like a carb problem but first check where the carb mounts for any leaks .Do you see a round metal ring and a metal spacer right where the carb mounts ,Or that air boot may have a leak.What is the carb actually doing spitting a lot of fuel like flooding and spitting back?

lone wolf yes there is the metal ring and spacer....the air boot looks fine no crack I can see, I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything but the rubber is nice and soft.

The saw just seems to run really rich...I feel like I have a decent ear for a saws tune and I would say that it is way rich.( smoking,blubbering,acts like its flooded after it shuts off)

What I can't figure out is why......I hope it turns out to be what Pgg suggested.

I think opening the gas cap a little has the same effect?Too bad you cant swap a running carb and see if the problem is a bad carb before you do all this other stuff.Also I think you can vac test the tank before buying the part.The needles have no effect, it sounds like the float level is causing this.

Too bad you cant swap a running carb and see if the problem is a bad carb before you do all this other stuff.

Hmmm that does sound like a good reason to get another 200T :clap: :laugh:

I will try running it on it's side with the gas cap off tomorrow.

Vac test the tank you say? I will try that.

I would love to figure out exactly what's wrong before buying possibly unnecessary parts......I find that cuts into on my saw buying funds :hmm3grin2orange:

Hmmm that does sound like a good reason to get another 200T :clap: :laugh:

I will try running it on it's side with the gas cap off tomorrow.

Vac test the tank you say? I will try that.

I would love to figure out exactly what's wrong before buying possibly unnecessary parts......I find that cuts into on my saw buying funds :hmm3grin2orange:
You cant get it to run lean no matter how much you turn the jets in? Does it spit a lot of gas at you when the filter is off?

Back