Stupid Chainsaw Question-Chain Won't Turn

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coldfront, I figure the engineers that designed and built the saws we use knew that the oil slinging off the chain wasn't going to make it to the inside of a bearinged hub that turns 5,000 to 6,000 RPM. So they provided a lube point to provide better longevity.

To someone that has never used a saw before and doesn't subconsciescely realize if the oiler is working or have the experience to know how much is enough, greasing the tip seemed like good advice. The bar is going to go in the dirt. It might even go in the dirt often. A little extra grease in there seems like a better idea for lubrication than grinding compound going through dry bearings. Adding a little every time you fuel up will expell that grinding compound.

I don't know who is right or wrong but I will go by what the dealer told me don't use the grease, he used to cut for a living in the pacific northwest, then moved back to WI. and has had a Husky chainsaw dealership sales and service for for about 20 years now and we are in big time logger country here.
I would like to know what the truth is but for now no offense but I will go with what the dealer told me. I think what he said was once you grease it you are committed to greasing it all the time from then out because now oil with not make it through the grease down to the bearings anymore, he claimed the bar oil will get to the bearing and if you use good bar oil you will be fine. Also I never said for them to run out and buy a 70cc saw, but many of us did recommend getting a better saw than the one they wanted, a better model used saw would have been a better choice for the money.

Hoping4Heat - Now that gas is cheap [ha ha] again, If you ever want to take a ride up to Kent, bring your saw, I'd be happy to help, show you what I can. I've been at it for a long time. No 50.00 charge either -

Coldfront, good point. What is right for some might not be right for all. No offence taken over whether to grease the tip or not.

They could have bought a better saw, agreed. Better used saws exist, lots of them. Until they know what to look for, they won't know what to look for. The chance of getting a warranty that lasts past the driveway is pretty slim when buying used. Only one dealer here sells used saws . "They are 'as-is', you pay your money , you own the saw." After getting support from their local dealer I'd hope they decide to support him with the purchase of better chains, bar, bar lube, premix and PPE. When they are ready they should have a good relationship with him. Good enough to ask and trust his opinion on an upgrade from his shop. Before they wear the 142 out they will be ready for more.

Or they will decide wood heat isn't for them and have gained valuable experience at self sufficiency.

Hoping4heat, glad to hear the dad offered to help out with the learning curve.

Stay warm and keep it out of the dirt.

I need some help with My chain saw

I bought a STIHL MS 271, 291 farm boss saw in early September. I haven't had any problems with it until now.

My brother wanted to shoot his brand new 22 in the back yard so he ran the saw at the same time as he was shooting so none of the neighbors would hear. But he has the brake on and reved the engine at little. Then the saw started smoking. So I try to start it the next morning and it turns on but the chain won't move even though I disengage the chain brake. The little wheel at the front of the bar moves freely but when the bar and chain is on the saw nothing moves. Can some one help me

I bought a STIHL MS 271, 291 farm boss saw in early September. I haven't had any problems with it until now.

My brother wanted to shoot his brand new 22 in the back yard so he ran the saw at the same time as he was shooting so none of the neighbors would hear. But he has the brake on and reved the engine at little. Then the saw started smoking. So I try to start it the next morning and it turns on but the chain won't move even though I disengage the chain brake. The little wheel at the front of the bar moves freely but when the bar and chain is on the saw nothing moves. Can some one help me
Try using the search feature here. If you don't find any answers to help with your situation start a new thread in the chainsaw forum. The guys there are awesome

I can't see the saw from here but if the saw was revved for very long with the brake engaged the plastic case has melted. I've seen it more than once.

Latest posts

Back