Stupid Chainsaw Question-Chain Won't Turn

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank GOD. It was the bar. Whatever the things were in front wouldn't spin well. It is running. :clap:

Thank you everyone for your help!

Thank GOD. It was the bar. Whatever the things were in front wouldn't spin well. It is running. :clap:

Thank you everyone for your help!
So your tip was sized up, at least it's not any thing serous, Just put the chain back on the bar and pull it across a log that should UN lock it. It might take some effort but never had one that would not rotate after getting stuck. If it is really trashed you can replace the tip of the bar without buying a new bar.

Glad to hear you found the problem.

There is a tip greaser that for $6.00 is an excellent investment. I give mine 2 shots on one side, roll the chain by hand a bit and 2 shots on the other side nearly every time I go out to cut wood. Then when I add fuel and bar lube it gets another shot.

It's a learning curve getting used to something new. It takes time. Work safely for your sake and others.

I guess a 357, 372 or 3120 might have the brute force to overcome the friction of a chain that was over tightened. It would soon burn something else up though. A better saw wont overcome operator error.

Said it before and will say it again - Crawl, walk, run, there should be a natural progression for the uninitiated. Better to learn on an easily replacable saw than one you spend a weeks pay on.

Hoping4heat, have you tried any of the posibilties in the replies to your original post ?
Knowing what you have tried so far will help us help you better. Post back each of the things that have been suggested that you checked and didn't find anything wrong.

Chain brake on.
Chain too tight.
Something jammed in the brake housing.
Damaged brake assembly.
Wrong chain thickness binding in the rails.
Wrong chain pitch binding on the sprocket or roller tip.
Rollertip on old bar binding.
Bent bar causing chain to bind.
Foreign matter in the guide rails.
Missing shoes in the clutch housing.
Bent chain from improper installation.

I hope I didn't forget any suggestions.

Push it it forward , it should pop as the spring loaded brake engages. Pull it back and it should pop again. If not this sounds like the first place to start looking.
K.S I,m having problems with my biggers saws which i don't use a lot. The mac 610 was loaned out a few years back and now the chain binds bad.its a new chain on it. The guy i loaned it to said it wouldn't cut so he put a new chain on it.My guess its the wrong chain because the spur seems to have 2 wear paterns on it.do you know if its possible to change this over to use the same b/c as my 460 sthil? The 460 uses a paddle wheel and the mac uses a spur. both bars are the same 20in from tip to bucking spikes. my 460 ran a while then when i went to restart it it was flooded and wouldn't start till I pulled the muffler cover and dryed the plug.I figure the diaphram or needle valves bad but at least I can get parts for this one.what i'm trying to do is get one or the other going as cheap as possible cause moneys tight. I appreciate your thoughts.

There is a chance he put the wrong chain back on there. Borrowed saws seem to come home with bent bars, pinched guide rails and run in the dirt till they quit.

Lay the bar out on a flat surface and check for straightness.

Use one tooth from a chain and run it through the rails to check if it has been pinched.

I had a tip pinched when it came back and the heat destroyed the bearing in the tip in just a matter of a few minutes of running.

I'm not sure why there would be 2 wear patterns the first thing that comes to mind is .325 chain instead of 3/8 .050 like it is supposed to have originally.

One last thing to check is the wear condition of the rim sprocket. If it is severly worn the chain will ride up on the tops inside the drive wheel and create extra tension and binding. The more load on the chain the worse it gets and will bring things to a halt or turn loose completely.

Looking on the Oregonchain site they show the Stihl 460 uses 72 drive links and the Mac 610 uses 70 drive links. They dont show the same # for the bars so I would say it wouldnt be a direct swap. You would have to compare the 2 bars to see how close the mounting bolt diameter is, the oiling hole locations and the tensioner holes match up.

The experts over at the chainsaw forum would be better suited to answering if they easily interchange and might have a good swap in mind that would work to your advantage.

There is a chance he put the wrong chain back on there. Borrowed saws seem to come home with bent bars, pinched guide rails and run in the dirt till they quit.

Lay the bar out on a flat surface and check for straightness.

Use one tooth from a chain and run it through the rails to check if it has been pinched.

I had a tip pinched when it came back and the heat destroyed the bearing in the tip in just a matter of a few minutes of running.

I'm not sure why there would be 2 wear patterns the first thing that comes to mind is .325 chain instead of 3/8 .050 like it is supposed to have originally.

One last thing to check is the wear condition of the rim sprocket. If it is severly worn the chain will ride up on the tops inside the drive wheel and create extra tension and binding. The more load on the chain the worse it gets and will bring things to a halt or turn loose completely.

Looking on the Oregonchain site they show the Stihl 460 uses 72 drive links and the Mac 610 uses 70 drive links. They dont show the same # for the bars so I would say it wouldnt be a direct swap. You would have to compare the 2 bars to see how close the mounting bolt diameter is, the oiling hole locations and the tensioner holes match up.

The experts over at the chainsaw forum would be better suited to answering if they easily interchange and might have a good swap in mind that would work to your advantage.

thanks ks i think i'll just lean on gettin the 460 fixed for now cause the ole mac has a manual oiler that my arthuritit thumb can't handle anyway thanks man

Send the saw back and get your money back before you do some real harm to yourself. Or find someone with real, actual chainsaw experience to show you how to run one safely. Be wary of friends and neighbors who claim to know what they are doing.

Send the saw back and get your money back before you do some real harm to yourself. Or find someone with real, actual chainsaw experience to show you how to run one safely. Be wary of friends and neighbors who claim to know what they are doing.

That was my point, if she would have let the spiders out of her wallet and bought from a local dealer he could have showed them how to run it and the chain would not have been on backwards. My last saw I know I could have saved at least $50 buying online but I decided to buy from my local Husky dealer. The saw was all set up he took me out back of his shop ran it cut a few logs checked the rpm, showed me exactly how everything works, he de-tuned it a little bit for break in and told me to bring it back after I run about 1 gallon of gas through it and he will set the rpm back up for max performance and check it over after break in at no charge. How many people who buy off the internet even have a tach to check the proper rpm and adjust the carb properly?

Glad to hear you found the problem.

There is a tip greaser that for $6.00 is an excellent investment. I give mine 2 shots on one side, roll the chain by hand a bit and 2 shots on the other side nearly every time I go out to cut wood. Then when I add fuel and bar lube it gets another shot.

It's a learning curve getting used to something new. It takes time. Work safely for your sake and others.

My 372xp came with the grease tool and grease but my Husky dealer told me not to use it he said if you grease it the bar oil won't get down to the sprocket and you will have to keep greasing it all the time, he said good bar oil will lube it better and constantly, he said he has seen more tip sprockets burn'd up from people who use grease and very few problems when people just let the bar oil do it's job, the grease keeps the oil from getting down to the sprocket bearings. But what does he know we are only in the lumberjack capital of the world, and he is the biggest husky dealer in the region.

Well, it's nice to see that along with the helpful people, the sarcastic #######s are still around too. I really want to thank everyone who helped me get the saw going properly. Anyone else, if you have an extra $50 lying around, you can send it to me and I'll gladly buy from my local dealer.

It's aggravating when people ask for advise then do what there mind was set on anyway. I hope all the problems were worth the $50 along with problems still to come.

Well, it's nice to see that along with the helpful people, the sarcastic #######s are still around too. I really want to thank everyone who helped me get the saw going properly. Anyone else, if you have an extra $50 lying around, you can send it to me and I'll gladly buy from my local dealer.

Not being sarcastic at all, just brutally realistic. Your posts bely that you are obviously way in over your head. Would you like a life ring or should we try and teach you how to swim by shouting instructions from shore? $50 is cheap money to get at least a rudimentary education on how to operate a very dangerous tool. Will $50 even cover the ER co-pay these days. You need to at least develop the tiniest bit of respect for the power of a chainsaw.

Husky, I'm kinda with you on this one. But they seemed pretty set on buying and using one. I didn't think it was a good idea to start with a bigger saw without knowing their situation.

Maybe, just maybe there was a reason the guy from the tree service suggested a more modest starting point for them.

Last edited:
I do have respect for it and that is why we didn't go out and buy a huge saw that would be difficult to handle. That is why I brought it to a local dealer who I use frequently who showed me how to adjust the tension of the chain. I just didn't think that it wouldn't turn, and obviously the dealer didn't either. I thought possibly someone could help me get it set up and was getting frustrated taking the chain on and off and moving it back and forth. I do have a 2 year warranty on it, same as new, I just thought a lot of you guys knew a lot about saws and could help me get it set up last night (as I did) rather than waiting until today. My father is coming later today and will show us how to use it, he always cut all our wood, but I wanted to have it set up when he got here. Next time I'll just wait and take it to the dealer...

Easy now! No need to get upset. We've all been in your spot. None of us were born with the knowledge to cut safely. Hate to hear you got hurt. If wrenching on the saw is frustrating, wait till you cut with it. A saw is something that needs lots of time and tinkering to keep at it's best performance.

Learning from your father is a good first step. I'm sure that he'll show you how to not use the tip when cutting (to avoid kickback) and all those sorts of things. What he may not tell you is to wear workboots, not tennis shoes, when cutting. And to wear safety glasses. And hearing protection. And heavy pants or chaps.

Good Luck.

Is there something in the bar that could be the problem? The saw came with the chain on backwards, I didn't notice and put it together that way. The chain broke and I was sent a new replacement saw with a new chain and bar, but I used the old bar and not the replacement. Could this one have been damaged when the chain was on backwards?
I don't think the chain itself is the problem.

I guess I am a little puzzled as to why you used the old bar instead of the new one that came with the replacement saw. Seems that using the new bar would have eliminated a problem with the bar, unlikely as it may seem in this case.

Coldfront, I figure the engineers that designed and built the saws we use knew that the oil slinging off the chain wasn't going to make it to the inside of a bearinged hub that turns 5,000 to 6,000 RPM. So they provided a lube point to provide better longevity.

To someone that has never used a saw before and doesn't subconsciescely realize if the oiler is working or have the experience to know how much is enough, greasing the tip seemed like good advice. The bar is going to go in the dirt. It might even go in the dirt often. A little extra grease in there seems like a better idea for lubrication than grinding compound going through dry bearings. Adding a little every time you fuel up will expell that grinding compound.

It is their first saw, they are starting out someplace. They bought what evidently fit their budget and would cut some firewood from time to time. They came to a site where experience with saws and wood heaters abounds to ask for valid opinions on their choice of 2 saws. It would be better if they had one of us standing beside them guiding them or mentoring them through the process, showing them the ropes. They came here seeking knowledge instead. Some made the decision to discourage them, others to belittle their willingness to learn and some offered help with their first steps to being more self reliant. I personally don't want to hear about her husband having an accident anymore than the rest of you but they are going to do this and are well on their way. They may not ever cut more than 3-4 cords of firewood a year to heat their own home. They probably won't be felling timber in the PNW or the East Coast Hardwoods. But the are going to cut some wood. Their mind is set on this as they has showed.

Is it worse to help them have a better experience learning the ropes on their own with a bit of guidance or to be less than helpful and when it goes wrong for them, to tell yourself you did the right thing by not helping ?

Ma'am, you and your husband work safely, read and undestand the manual with all the safety warnings before putting the saw to use, Please.

Coldfront, I figure the engineers that designed and built the saws we use knew that the oil slinging off the chain wasn't going to make it to the inside of a bearinged hub that turns 5,000 to 6,000 RPM. So they provided a lube point to provide better longevity.

To someone that has never used a saw before and doesn't subconsciescely realize if the oiler is working or have the experience to know how much is enough, greasing the tip seemed like good advice. The bar is going to go in the dirt. It might even go in the dirt often. A little extra grease in there seems like a better idea for lubrication than grinding compound going through dry bearings. Adding a little every time you fuel up will expell that grinding compound.

It is their first saw, they are starting out someplace. They bought what evidently fit their budget and would cut some firewood from time to time. They came to a site where experience with saws and wood heaters abounds to ask for valid opinions on their choice of 2 saws. It would be better if they had one of us standing beside them guiding them or mentoring them through the process, showing them the ropes. They came here seeking knowledge instead. Some made the decision to discourage them, others to belittle their willingness to learn and some offered help with their first steps to being more self reliant. I personally don't want to hear about her husband having an accident anymore than the rest of you but they are going to do this and are well on their way. They may not ever cut more than 3-4 cords of firewood a year to heat their own home. They probably won't be felling timber in the PNW or the East Coast Hardwoods. But the are going to cut some wood. Their mind is set on this as they has showed.

Is it worse to help them have a better experience learning the ropes on their own with a bit of guidance or to be less than helpful and when it goes wrong for them, to tell yourself you did the right thing by not helping ?

Ma'am, you and your husband work safely, read and undestand the manual with all the safety warnings before putting the saw to use, Please.

Amen.Tried to rep you on that one, but I have to spread it around a bit first.
I aint going to say another word, KsWoodsMan has hit the nail right on the head.

Back