Stupid chainsaw tricks.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
trimmmed said:
Worse than the pain, is trying to work with a hurt digit, What a PITA!

BTW, the tablesaw ain't no picnic either. This from last feb, it grew back :) but still tingly. It was affecting my ability to flip off other drivers for a while.

Post a pic of what it looks like now.........was that the bone showing at the end? It's hard to tell.

Just grazed the tip of the bone, you can see a shadow line running from 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock. Thats where it's healed up too so far, it was originally cut from like 11 to 5. They stiched it back right thru the fingernails although the dangler was later lost :p But it looks and works like a finger, so I'm happy. It is still getting better, freakining fingers take a while to heal. In the beginning the nail would grow to the cut and as it grows out it keeps getting better, the pad still has a little springy/tingly feeling 10 months later.

Hope you have the same luck. I have read a statistic regarding carpentry and it's something like, 95% chance you'll get bit at some point in your career, are there any such stats re tree guys?

I bet it's a given that any saw operator will get bite sometime during their career. I've been bite three times, so far. Nothing too bad, knock on wood. And PPE.

I once felt a little heat on the side of my index finger using a 12" table saw. The side of the blade glazed my finger. I've cut myself to the bone with a wood chisel, though, and hacksaws and files have parted or removed flesh on me before. Any cutting instrument you use with your hands, like Butch said...

I cringe while watching the deli folks slicing the goods at the supermarket...

glens said:
I once felt a little heat on the side of my index finger using a 12" table saw. The side of the blade glazed my finger. I've cut myself to the bone with a wood chisel, though, and hacksaws and files have parted or removed flesh on me before. Any cutting instrument you use with your hands, like Butch said...

I cringe while watching the deli folks slicing the goods at the supermarket...

I don't know if I'm lucky or skilled, but I've never had a serious cut from anything. I have nicked myself a couple of times with an xacto knife though.

MasterBlaster said:
I bet it's a given that any saw operator will get bite sometime during their career. I've been bite three times, so far. Nothing too bad, knock on wood. And PPE.

When I was a machinist, cuts on the hand and fingers were a weekly thing. Mostly from doing stupid things, like grabbing sharp string metal chips. Even with gloves they will slice right to the bone. Fortunatly I had AFLAC, and they paid by the stitch!

I know a girl that sells AFLAC.....I'll look into it. You don't want to be insurance poor but who wants to be under insured......I've been there.....It wasn't good.

My wife can hook ya up with a good Death and Dismemberment policy. As it stands now Im worth more dead than alive. (5 million) Maybe I can fake my own death and live like a king in Mexico for the rest of my days. Just kidding. I hope ya heal up big guy.

Kenn

cut my self once w/a chainsaw. was touching up the blade. didnt have gloves on. must have gotten it pretty sharp. (seemed like) i just bumped the dang thing. last knuckle of right index finger on thumb side. must be a pretty big artery there. it bled like a stuck pig...

trimmed, I did exactly the same thing many years ago. Didn't really hurt until the freezing wore off then man oh man. Lost count of the times I have scared myself though, usually not paying attention.

I got a matching one on my right thumb too, same weapon, 5 years earlier

Hey Xander

How about a healing update? How's it looking

Brings a couple things to mind... 1st... gloves... do you think a pair of ugly gloves would have saved you the stitches?? they aren't going to stop a chain, but might have given you an extra moment to react before getting cut...
And 2nd MM has been recommending the rear handle echos for climbing saws... 16" bar,... a little more power... the way he talked about it, it sure sounded like a winner... the point is anything you need to reach for with one hand ought to be fairly easy to cut with a handsaw... Given todays handsaws and climbing gear, the top handled saw is no longer necessary.... Makes a lot of sense to me... I finally got a rear handled echo, but its in Florida with the stump grinder still, so I haven't done any significant climbing with it yet....

Glad you shared your mistake so we could all learn from it...

Thanks

I was wearing Atlas therma fit gloves at the time. I'm sure it would have been much worse had I not. It has healed well but is still really sensitive........like Butch.:)

Latest posts

Back