stupidity stories

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevyforlife21

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
i feel pretty stupid i filled my saw with bar oil and fuel, then i walked into the woods a few hundred feet away, i sawed for about 5 mins then i look down and realize theres bar oil lines all over my new pants, i look around for a while thinking the oiler was plugged up, then i realize i never screwed the bar oil cap back on! jeez lol. it could of been something worse but i cant belive i didnt screw the cap back on. anyone else want to share any stories?

Last edited:
Yep, got sidetracked one day while fueling up a saw and did the same thing to a brand new pair of Timberland boots....

Ok, i got a stupid story for ya..made me feel like the biggest idiot ever.
Bought myself a new saw, got it all set up, drove way up in the hills to cut some wood and fired up the saw and the dang chain wouldnt turn so i looked for my scrench to no avail...it was on my workbench at home. Drive all the way home to get it, walk in the shop and loosen the nuts and discover the :censored::censored: chain brake was on the whole time and i didnt realize it. Everything else was just fine... Sure made me feel like a horses ...... To be fair though this was my first saw with a chain brake.

stupid hippy story

Cutting some wood for a music festival in asheville, n.c. Some hippy comes up with a HUGE stihl saw, I'm talking over 70cc saw here, brand new obviously his first saw and first time using a saw (god knows what he paid for it)... He comes up and asks me how to tighten his chain... Really, how to tighten his chain... WTF would a hippy even need with a thousand dollar saw when he's never even tightened a chain on one before?

Now for myself... Went into the woods after a long night with the flu... first time I cut I kinda lost concentration and next thing I know the front of my right pants leg is completely gone... Ok, I've got to pay more attention... 15 minutes after putting on another pair of pants... same thing... Thank god I didn't cut myself, I quit working for the day and went to the store and bought a pair of chaps...

similar, but oppposite

last winter, cutting a large ~36"diameter oak leaner on friends farm.. using his 044.. cutting few scrub trees to clear spot for it to fall.. run outa gas.. go and fill it up, yes i put the oil and gas in the right sides... but apparently i forgot to screw the gas cap back on other than maybe 1/2 a thread.. fired it back up.. get down the hill, in the snow, and start cutting ..feel the inside of my thigh is wet.. look down, and from just below (luckily) my buddy, all the way down my leg to my ankle, soaked in gas, no spare pants, no chance of fitting in his.. miserable day, got the uprooted leaner down though

Heck Ya!

About a year ago, was cutting a large oak at my mother's place. Got the tree down, but my 041 needed gas and oil before limbing could begin. Filled both in the right tanks, went to start limbing. First cut was about head level (I'm 6'-4"), so I raised the saw up ... and dumped both gas and bar oil all over me. Found the tank caps back where I left them near the fuel cans.

i feel pretty stupid i filled my saw with bar oil and fuel, then i walked into the woods a few hundred feet away, i sawed for about 5 mins then i look down and realize theres bar oil lines all over my new pants, i look around for a while thinking the oiler was plugged up, then i realize i never screwed the bar oil cap back on! jeez lol. it could of been something worse but i cant belive i didnt screw the cap back on. anyone else want to share any stories?

I saw somebody do that just the other day. While i was out in the woods all by myself.:monkey:

Then i had to figure a good way to clean all those wood chips off my oily cap!!....(hint: take cap off..swish around in cup of mix then wipe off)

Last edited:
I was cleaning out a rubber pre-formed Stihl oil line, I was blowing it out with my air compressor. I wasn't paying attention to how much pressure I was blowing into it, it blew up like a balloon then exploded like a fire cracker right in front of my face, bang!

I was fixing a 031 for a guy, just put a new fuel filter in the tank some fresh gas flipped it over to start it and for got to put the cap back on.

I try to learn at least one new thing every day. Unfortunately, I also seem to do at least one stupid thing every day, so I'm not gaining any ground..:cheers:

One of my first chainsaw experiences before I owned my own. I borrowed my father in laws saw and put the bar / chain lube in the gas tank instead of gasoline!

Luckily I caught myself before starting it up, cleaned everything up and put fresh gas in. It started and ran, but chocked on that lube oil and ran hard for about 10 minutes.

seems to be ok now, he still doesn't know.

Last edited:
I felt really stupid when I was refueling a few weeks ago. Ya, you have to put the gas in the gas tank and not the oil tank. :cry: I was talking and not paying attention.

I also had the chain lock up. I thought I had some chips stuck in the bar grove. Turns out after taking the saw half way apart it was the chain break. :censored: I check that first now.

Live and learn. If you can't laugh at yourself find someone else to laugh at. :greenchainsaw:

About a year ago I took the clutch/bar cover off my dearly departed 455 Rancher to clean the usual muck out... somehow flipped the chain brake on while the cover was off. It was a relatively miserable next 45 minutes struggling with it to pop it back off to be able to reassemble the cover back on the saw. (standing in a 35 deg shop, wanting to be done...)

Finally figured out that you could take the CB handle off the saw to use it as a tool to pop the CB off while in this state, after deciding that nothing in my tool box fit, but trying everything that looked like it might!

Last edited:
My chaps are now water-proofed !!! Kinda right leg only tho.

:agree2:
:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

After I got my "bench mount sharpener" from Harbor Freight, I tested it on my MS 290. Slapped the chain on and jumped in the truck headed for the woods excited to try out the new sharp chain! Much to my surprise, it was a POS!
I thought, this sharpener I wanted so bad is a clunker, I'm gunna have to buy more 5/16 chainsaw tips for the Dremel tool!
When I checked the chain, someone put in on backwards!:dizzy:
Not sure who that was? :confused:

i got my 362xp stuck then my dads ms460 fallowed by my uncle 044 before my dad got the three unstuck with my bro-inlaws deere cs-52 wow three 20 inch bars being saved by a wise old man with a 18 incher.:bowdown:

Back