stupidity stories

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two days ago I was driving by the local convenience store and a guy I know was blowing leaves with a Stihl trimmer with the blower attachment on the end. As he turned around, I noticed gas flying everywhere. Yep...he didn't put the flippy cap back on. Would have been interesting if he'd been a smoker. Slung a whole tank of fuel on the ground.

Back in the day when all I had was an XL-12 I spent 20 minutes cranking on it with no start. I finally got tired of that and decided to check the spark plug. Somehow it had backed nearly all the way out.

Tightened the plug and it was back to cutting wood.

i feel pretty stupid i filled my saw with bar oil and fuel, then i walked into the woods a few hundred feet away, i sawed for about 5 mins then i look down and realize theres bar oil lines all over my new pants, i look around for a while thinking the oiler was plugged up, then i realize i never screwed the bar oil cap back on! jeez lol. it could of been something worse but i cant belive i didnt screw the cap back on. anyone else want to share any stories?

Heres my stupid story. One time i sadly bought a chevy:bang: Thee end.Lol. No but really ive done almost the same thing. I just finished putting in new fuel lines and filter in my 021. Gased it up, and finger tightend the caps just to test run. Lets just say the caps came off and i had gas all over me and the ground:censored:

-ac

college daze

A friend asked me to cut a dead apple, mebbe a 12" DBH, in their back yard. We were all students, so free was the way to go for him. He asked if I had the equipment to handle such a 'big' tree, whereupon I began a subdued brag... I had tuned, sharpened and generally made my 268XP ready for 10 times the tree it was about to cut, but for some reason, with him and his wife and my fiance watching from a safe distance, it would barely scratch up the bark on this dead apple. Some nimrod had put the chain on backwards...they chuckled....hilarity ensued...I took the walk of shame back to the porch for my scrench. Somehow, the impressiveness of the dead apple tree carnage that followed was lost in that one Bush-league moment ... and I learned yet another important lesson about sawing AND about showing out.

Finally got my dad's old Super 2 started... but I hadn't put the clutch drum on...

Turned the little S-shaped steel clutch into a neat grenade; shattered the magnesium case an inch from my right hand and threw the other clutch shoe across the garage... :cry:

Back when I Knew it all After one summer falling Ponderosa pine An old man told me something about falling frozen timber. He went on and on about how pine freezes up hard as a rock and that you "Tap " the wedges you dont hit them hard he said. Well I didnt listen real well and the next day I was wedging a 4 footer and wailing away at the 15 in wedge when it popped out And I do not know how but it hit me right in the balls. I no longer hit them any harder than I need to.:dizzy::cry:

Well I guess this is a stupidity story for the guys on the crew who used to act stupid and think they were getting away with somthing. When we were deep in a unit and they left their saw unattended I would take out the spark plug and tap the electrode closed to short the spark and then stand back and watch as they would pull and pull and pull with no avail and finally have to walk all the way back to the truck and get another saw. Then I would take their broken saw and open the spark plug gap back up and at the end of the day when they were crying about how their saw would not start I would grab it and start it up on the first pull. Not the most efficient but us vets would get a good laugh at it. Another time one of new guys on the crew was bragging how bad ass his chain was cutting in front of us and one of the vets asked to see his saw and then just augered the chain straight into the dirt. That chain was not sharp anymore.

...Another time one of new guys on the crew was bragging how bad ass his chain was cutting in front of us and one of the vets asked to see his saw and then just augered the chain straight into the dirt. That chain was not sharp anymore.

Now that right there is funny, I don't care who ya are!

ROFLFAO!

Well I guess this is a stupidity story for the guys on the crew who used to act stupid and think they were getting away with somthing. When we were deep in a unit and they left their saw unattended I would take out the spark plug and tap the electrode closed to short the spark and then stand back and watch as they would pull and pull and pull with no avail and finally have to walk all the way back to the truck and get another saw. Then I would take their broken saw and open the spark plug gap back up and at the end of the day when they were crying about how their saw would not start I would grab it and start it up on the first pull. Not the most efficient but us vets would get a good laugh at it. Another time one of new guys on the crew was bragging how bad ass his chain was cutting in front of us and one of the vets asked to see his saw and then just augered the chain straight into the dirt. That chain was not sharp anymore.

What did the new guy do? Id be one hot cookie if someone did me that way. . .

Finally got my dad's old Super 2 started... but I hadn't put the clutch drum on...

Turned the little S-shaped steel clutch into a neat grenade; shattered the magnesium case an inch from my right hand and threw the other clutch shoe across the garage... :cry:

Man I did the same with one of my 88s, clutch pieces flying all over the place. Im cursed with that saw, everytime it breaks something I somehow wreck at least one other part trying to fix it.

Did a muffler mod on one of my 66s that directed the exhaust in a bad place and caused it to heat up the brake enough to stop it from wanting to work easily.

My worst moment was nearly two years ago.
I drove about 60-70 odd miles to cut up some wood at a mate's place and borrowed another mate's trailer to bring some home. He asked if I'd like to take the spare tyre. I said "No I'll be fine".
Anyway, got to the place, cracked into the 30" odd hardwood gum log with my 7900 and 32" bar. All went well until the oiler blocked up from the fine dust. Pulled the bar, cleaned the oiler, put the bar back on and run it up near the black trailer tyre to see if it was throwing oil off.
Gave my near new 7900 a rev, the bar nose lifted with the torque and stuck it straight through the sidewall of his tyre :censored:
Not only did it write his tyre off but it threw the chain, damaged a heap of drivelinks, wrecked the rubber chip deflector, and tore the crap out of the chain catcher. BUT from memory did not engage the chain brake! Also AUD$110 for a new light truck tyre for his trailer.
Other details getting a bit hazy. have tried to forget it...

The therapy lasted months.

The other problem was that when a similar thread like this popped up a while back somebody said that the funniest story they'd ever heard was about some idiot sticking their saw through a trailer tyre! Well ya prick, that was me!!! :cheers:

Gave my near new 7900 a rev, the bar nose lifted with the torque and stuck it straight through the sidewall of his tyre :censored:
Ahh, trailers....

I was using one to haul wood at my mothers and managed to back over the brand new Husky 460 I had just bought....

Only yesterday I had another "incident". I had the same trailer hooked up behind my rollback truck and needed to use the truck yesterday to pick up a new peanut combine. Hooked it up behind my Explorer and took off. I got back and jumped in the Explorer and started backing up. Heard a big crunch and got out to find out I had jack knifed the trailer and crunched the area near the gas cap. :chainsaw: Totally forgot the trailer was there. My wife may be right about my amnesia...

Ahh, trailers....

I was using one to haul wood at my mothers and managed to back over the brand new Husky 460 I had just bought....

Only yesterday I had another "incident". I had the same trailer hooked up behind my rollback truck and needed to use the truck yesterday to pick up a new peanut combine. Hooked it up behind my Explorer and took off. I got back and jumped in the Explorer and started backing up. Heard a big crunch and got out to find out I had jack knifed the trailer and crunched the area near the gas cap. :chainsaw: Totally forgot the trailer was there. My wife may be right about my amnesia...

That sucks :( I was doing some milling a few weeks back on a farmer's property and he nearly rode his 4WD tractor up onto my 79cc Makita that I'd sat out the way for trimming up the ends of the logs. Luckily he felt it as his Case tractor started climbing the front of the saw! No damage luckily but never leave saws around a blind farmer. Even the most obvious place it will be in danger.

Last edited:
feels like home

The therapy lasted months.

The other problem was that when a similar thread like this popped up a while back somebody said that the funniest story they'd ever heard was about some idiot sticking their saw through a trailer tyre! Well ya prick, that was me!!! :cheers:

I love it ... I mean, I hate it for you, but that "re-telling of tales" just sort of makes AS feel like one big, happy, disfunctional family!

...and I wish I had a nickel for every time I've *almost* torqued the tip into something precious. Seriously, I'd be able to afford one of everything...I'm always checking to make sure the tip's oiling.

Guido off topic but what does a peanut combine look like?

This is my Turner combine.

sara_vbs011.jpg

This is the Ellis Keystone model that I picked up yesterday.

EllisKeystonethresher001.jpg

They are used to separate the vines from the peanuts. Today it is all one process, they are no longer dug and then fed later to the combine.

i figure that i'm 27 everyday in a new adventure into being stupidity. i just have to remember to where my helmet..

pipe threads are sharp! and they can put a nice slit in your four arm...

Latest posts

Back