Sudden 026 problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkman

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Ky. between Dead Horse Holler and Yellowbank.
I bought a used 026 last Friday, ran it some on Sat. and ran good and strong, no hiccups at all. Today, I was sawing up a couple of tops then went to take down a Sycamore snag that was about 30 in at the base. I cut the notch and started to fell the snag and ran out of gas. I refilled it and started as usual, revved it up and started to cut and it bogged down as soon as I touched the wood. Dumped the gas and checked the filter it is clean. I refilled the saw with gas same fresh gas I had just run in the saw, using it in my Husky and it's doing just fine. Switched plug, same results, saw will rev and sounds fine till I start to cut and it just bogs out and if I barely let the chain start to cut, it will surge up and down a couple of times and then die. Starts right back up and will rev, but won't cut. I think it is fuel related but haven't done anything else to it. Where would you suggest I start to fix this problem, when it was running right, good cutting little saw.

as mentioned if it hasnt been run for a while its possibly dislodged some build up some where in the system and sucked it into the carb. new pickup filter, carby kit and wash the carby out with brake clean. would be worth pulling the needle out too and give it a rinse out. also a full hose with a small crack can cause all sorts of weird running issues to so that would be worth pressure testing/replacing

Make sure the fuel tank vent is clear
Check the flapper on the air filter. Sometimes the spring breaks, and they act up.
Fuel and impulse lines like others have said.

Let us know how things go.

I finally got a chance to check the saw, I started pulling covers and after I got the top and the filter off, I decided to start it and see if it would bog out with the brake on. Obvious pretty quick, every time I pulled the trigger, I notices a stream of sparks from the plug wire to ground. Plug wire had a nicked place in the side and someone had put tape over it and it had slipped letting the spark jump to ground. I replaced the plug wire and it runs like a champ again. I went down and cut up a tree that I had down... fixed.
I have another problem now, I have favored Huskys for the last 20 some years and as hard as I try, I can't keep from liking this STIHL, know any drugs I can take for that, hope it's not terminal.:yoyo:

I have another problem now, I have favored Huskys for the last 20 some years and as hard as I try, I can't keep from liking this STIHL, know any drugs I can take for that, hope it's not terminal.:
Only a bullet in the head will ever stop you liking...(soon to be loving)...the 026..!!!

It really is the almost perfect combination of light weight and impressive power..!!
:cheers:
J2F

I finally got a chance to check the saw, I started pulling covers and after I got the top and the filter off, I decided to start it and see if it would bog out with the brake on. Obvious pretty quick, every time I pulled the trigger, I notices a stream of sparks from the plug wire to ground. Plug wire had a nicked place in the side and someone had put tape over it and it had slipped letting the spark jump to ground. I replaced the plug wire and it runs like a champ again. I went down and cut up a tree that I had down... fixed.
I have another problem now, I have favored Huskys for the last 20 some years and as hard as I try, I can't keep from liking this STIHL, know any drugs I can take for that, hope it's not terminal.:yoyo:

The best drug for a 026 is a Husqvarna 346xp. :msp_tongue:

I'll probably get a few rocks thrown at me for that one................:msp_flapper:

After all the hooplah of the "newer" saws, I still like the 026.

Makes ya wonder if the only thing better than an 026 is having two of them. :)

The best drug for a 026 is a Husqvarna 346xp. :msp_tongue:

I'll probably get a few rocks thrown at me for that one................:msp_flapper:

Oh yea, got one of those too and it's not in danger of getting knocked out of favorite spot. Don't remember the 346 making my arthritic knuckles hurt like they are now, just had a front come through with a little hail so maybe that has something to do with the joints.

Latest posts

Back