Sugar Maple Defects, What to do??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthwoodsJack

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
We have a maple in our front yard that I'm worried about. It looks like it was never pruned when young and has 3 leaders and and a couple semi-upright branches. It has been cabled between the outside 2 leaders. I'm worried that if I prune the semi upright branches it will wall off the center section of wood and split the tree. Any advice??

thanks
jack

Ahh...I see the problem...it requires a drastic reduction...on all of them...The Images!

Irfanview

NorthwoodsJack said:
sorry about the size. I'm new at this.
jack
You can resize your images by using this free and easy to use program.
http://www.irfanview.com/
Once downloaded and installed, simply select file, then open your file, select image then resize, select the 640 x 480 pixels or any other size desired (hopefully smaller), click okay, then go to file and select save. I generally choose the 640 x 480 pixels option. If you want to keep your outrageously large image, be sure to copy it or rename your resized pic so that it doesn't overwrite your obscenely huge photo. ;)

My thought is the semi-uprights crowd out the other, more natural and symmetrical branches. Also, I am worried that they are not structurally sound and if they split from the trunk I will lose the whole tree because of the way the branches interact with the trunk.

My worry on cutting it is similar to it's breaking off: If this section is cut, the trunk will reject nutrients to a large center section of the trunk as part of its natural defense. That is what I mean by "wall off"

I'm obviously not an arborist, but it appears to me that there is some seperation of the wood in the trunk leading to what i refer to as the semi-upright branches. I may not be explaining it correctly, or I could be off base, but I am concerned and want to do what is best for the tree. The tree is partially growing over my house as well as my neighbors, so I am concerned about structural problems, as well as tree preservation. I just moved in an had to take down a 40" diameter willow that was on the other side of the yard due to hazzards with the house on the other side.

If the 2 outer stems are cabled, I don't see the problem. If you're worried about the semi-uprights, why not just shorten them instead of removing them?

An arborist on site is your best solution. Many members here are cheeseheads.

Gm, formerly of Wauwatosa, Oconomowoc and UW-Mad City

treeseer said:
If the 2 outer stems are cabled, I don't see the problem. If you're worried about the semi-uprights, why not just shorten them instead of removing them?

Hmm, if the outer two are cabled then what about the one in the middle? serious false crotch to. It does look like a previous topped tree? also those opening tears, any idea on decay inside?

An arborist on site is your best solution. Many members here are cheeseheads.

Here my 0.02 dutch cheesehead cents its worth, make it a TD

Ronald

R Schra said:
Here my 0.02 dutch cheesehead cents its worth, make it a TD

R. Schra:

Although it may sound insulting to those who don't know what it means, I believe what they are using "cheesehead" for is a regional reference, meaning living in Wisconsin. That state is known as a big dairy producer, hence cheeseheads. A lot of people even in the US don't know that this is what it means...

CNYCountry said:
R. Schra:

Although it may sound insulting to those who don't know what it means, I believe what they are using "cheesehead" for is a regional reference, meaning living in Wisconsin. That state is known as a big dairy producer, hence cheeseheads. A lot of people even in the US don't know that this is what it means...

I wasnt insulted or what ever, just beeing dutch we have a lot of dairy to :dizzy: and very good cheese for the burgers. :angel: But good to know there also cheesehead's over there to.

Back