... suggested the logs should be 19" long with a 9" split.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodchuckcanuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have a new client who says the previous owner who operated the wood/oil furnace for +40 years suggested the new owners should order their wood to be 19" long with a 9" split. Now 19" is the easy part, I've never heard of the 9" split phrase. Does that mean no wider than 9" width? The new owner said the firebox is huge, 30" deep and over 12x12" door opening.

Sounds like a great person to tell ‘sorry I’m sold out’ 19” is the east part with a processor, but unless you know they’ll be happy, is it worth hearing them bellyache? Or maybe some education to them that ‘most any size that’s dry will burn just fine’. Sounds like The previous owner used big ole pieces to get all day/ night burns to reduce the frequency of loading

I have no clue what they mean / want.....

Those kind of customers are what good stories are made of...... sometimes...... just be careful not to lose your shirt in the transaction.
I'd just tell them you've only been selling firewood for x many years and don't know what 9" split means.
It's uncomfortable when somebody asks for something I ain't never heard of, it makes me feel like I must have missed that day at school or something! it happens occasionally with the sawmill business too.
I've had guys ask for things so off the wall that I just say "I can hear the words you're saying, but I have no idea what you mean" then sometimes they'll try to say it in normal language if it really matters to them.

Sounds like a great person to tell ‘sorry I’m sold out’ 19” is the east part with a processor, but unless you know they’ll be happy, is it worth hearing them bellyache? Or maybe some education to them that ‘most any size that’s dry will burn just fine’. Sounds like The previous owner used big ole pieces to get all day/ night burns to reduce the frequency of loading

You’ve got the “somebody else told me” customer who isn’t likely to change his mind.
Tell him that perhaps another firewood seller can meet his needs.

Well fortunately I'm a glass half full person. I educated him on firewood and he ordered 4 cords of kiln dried.

Latest posts

Back