Suggestions wanted: Smaller Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TN Trapper

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello and thanks for having me. I look forward to learning from you folks.
I have heated with wood my entire life and will usually go through 6 to 8 cords a year depending on how bad the winter is. I have three saws all Husky's : 266 , 357XP and 372XP. I'm using the excuse that I need a smaller saw just for odd jobs around the house but I'm actually just wanting another saw smaller than my others just to have. As far as Husky's smaller lineup which are the better of the crop ? My dealer has 142, 240, 340,etc. The only thing I require is that the saw be made in Sweden. I really appreciate any feedback you folks will be willing to provide me.

The only thing I require is that the saw be made in Sweden. I really appreciate any feedback you folks will be willing to provide me.

Be careful what you ask for.....:censored:
Remember: " Sweden" and " Stihl" begin with S
:cheers:

i agree

i have the 350 it's a good trim saw but a ne 346xp would realy rip with 3.7hp

i went lookin the other day a new one around here is 480$

The 346XP is $479 + tax here also. Are either the 240 or 340 Swedish saws? The reason I'm sticking to that criteria is I bought a 142 and it gave me nothing but headaches the entire 7 months I owned it.

353 would be a good saw but a 346xp ne is a pro hot rod that cost more and is a better saw

any of the 345-350 saw's are good for trimming and would cost less, you already have a 357xp which is a great all around saw plus a 372xp

im pleased with my 350 it has done what i ask of it well along with a 362xp, i am cosidering a 346xp and letting my son have the 350 do i need it no ,,,,just kinda want it

a 50cc and 70cc is a great combo you wont be disappointed with a 346xp 357xp,372xp family

Hello and thanks for having me. I look forward to learning from you folks.
I have heated with wood my entire life and will usually go through 6 to 8 cords a year depending on how bad the winter is. I have three saws all Husky's : 266 , 357XP and 372XP. I'm using the excuse that I need a smaller saw just for odd jobs around the house but I'm actually just wanting another saw smaller than my others just to have. As far as Husky's smaller lineup which are the better of the crop ? My dealer has 142, 240, 340,etc. The only thing I require is that the saw be made in Sweden. I really appreciate any feedback you folks will be willing to provide me.

I'm kinda partial to the Swedish stuff myself. I use Husky and Jonsered. I'm not sure of the sizes you have above (only Husky saw I have is XPG395). But my favorite saw by a longshot is a Jred 2171. It is very light and very fast (at least to me).

Since you already have a mid and a nice powerful saw, I would just go with a 450 it replaced the 350 with a 18" bar you should be able to get one for around $330 nice saw for small jobs and limbing.

He said he already has a 357xp and a 372xp is he really looking for that much hp on a smaller saw? I would save the $100 and get the 450 /18" unless the extra $100 is worth 1 lb lighter with the 346xp?

Last edited:
There were some posts around here about the Dolmar PS420, and the guys seem to like the smaller-ish saw :chainsaw: . Check out the Dolmar web site for specs. Amicks, an AS sponsor, also carries them:clap: .

353 would be a good saw but a 346xp ne is a pro hot rod that cost more and is a better saw

any of the 345-350 saw's are good for trimming and would cost less, you already have a 357xp which is a great all around saw plus a 372xp

im pleased with my 350 it has done what i ask of it well along with a 362xp, i am cosidering a 346xp and letting my son have the 350 do i need it no ,,,,just kinda want it

a 50cc and 70cc is a great combo you wont be disappointed with a 346xp 357xp,372xp family

That "XP Family" thing you stated sure has a nice ring to it and I do love the feel of the 346XP. I was just asking for suggestions from people who know that some saws are just plain better than others even from the same maker. I've noticed that no one recommended the 240e or 340 in their posts and am curious as to why? Now please don't feel like I'm pushing for someone to name them because I'm not ,I'm here for one reason: To learn from other's experience. If the 240e or 340 aren't up to par I'll listen to your advice and look more into the 346XP. I just want all the knowledge I can get before I decide to fork out $500 especially with the current economy.

I do appreciate all your responses but I want to stay focused on the 40cc class. I want to fill in the "little brother" gap that's missing in my stable right now.

the truth about saw's is what work's for some may not work for you
what you are cutting has alot to do with your saw choice
if your just using it at home ,trying to cut wood,or using the saw on the job

Mostly I want it just to "have". But it will see some limbing/bucking action on felled hardwood. I think I'll take the plunge and go with the 346 if for no other reason than to stay in the XP line. I truly appreciate all the opinions shared with me and I'll put 'em to good use this week as I head to the dealer and pick up my newest XP. Thanks again for the experience and knowledge shared.

I picked up the 346XP today after work, $511.14 OTD. I started it when I got home and that's about all I had time to do. I must say I was impressed with the way this little beast idled and revved. If it's bite is near as aggressive as the bark I'll be in for a real treat. I am grateful for those that steered me in the right direction on this decision and thank you to to the good folks here for lending me their knowledge. So now in order:

346XP
357XP
372XP

Now I think I need....................................

congrat's an new famliy member

its a great saw you will pick it up alot

ummm need's anouther saw........ you got cad fever and there is no cure

be safe and enjoy your xp family

Latest posts

Back