Sunoco race fuel?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed. .......And ohhhh the sound..........;)
Just got chills thinking of it.
THAT sound.
Or the 60s 6 cylinder Honda 250 at redline.....
I belonged to a little museum that had Coopers SSJ Deusenberg.......it was hotter than the other SSJ.
it was one of only 3 that had 2 carbs feeding the Supercharger. One of the others was the Cyclops Endurance racer.
Anyway. The owner had an all SS exhaust system made.
This is 35 years ago........for one reason.
Now this mid 30s 4500 lb 3 speed beast would out accelerate some mid 70s Ferraris.........
The owner would warm it up for 20 minutes and then run it to redline........
“Because once in every mans life he should hear a Deusy
“At Full Song””

Race gas is not for chainsaws or any 2 cycle. I was running it in in a Dolmar, one day it would not start, no compression. The rings had collected so much gue I had to use heat and pry them out of the groove. This was the only gas this saw ever saw. Reassembled and never had a problem with normal gas. They put a lot of additives in race gas to get the octane up.

Actually Packard working with Rolls Royce designed and developed the P 1610 and P 1710 V 12. The two stage super charger enabled the engine to produce its best performance rating requirement at 30,000 feet which was specified. At lower altitudes the fullest manifold pressure could not be utilized because of detonation along with other issues such as cooling. Anyway the fuel that meets the need of a P 1710 at combat settings is not what will perform well in a chain saw.

I grew up on a Air Force base with all the aviation fuel I could use. High octane does not benefit saws especially. A small amount of lead added yes increases octane. A small amount or likely certain engine failure. High octane in low performing low compression saws motors is a far distance from any thing designed to fly above 10,000 feet. So in other words regular grade pump gasoline will cause chainsaw motors to run at their best. That does not mean that all conditions and altitudes will not cause some exceptions. Thanks

I use 260 GTX; 98 octane, no lead, no ethanol. It's cheaper than the box store cans of non-ethanol fuel. Can't find non-ethanol at regular pumps in New England. Maybe at marinas, but I don't live near any.

I don't own anything that requires 98, but I don't worry about gummed-up carbs with that fuel.

I've had good results using MOGAS not AVGAS. It's 91 octane, no lead and zero corn juice. It's also rated for staying in fuel tanks for up to a year. The mower takes over a tank to do my lawn on pump/ethanol gas but about 3/4 of a tank on MOgas.

Latest posts

Back