Super 2 oil line question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of those old Homelites came out with a Zama, Tillotson and Walbro carb on them. I've recently had a bit of trouble with the Walbros because of the one way valve on the diaphragm side. They kinda turn to mush after 40 years. I put a Zama carb on one of mine and it worked well. If you could try a good carburetor on it from a good running saw it would help to see if the carb was the problem..

Some of those old Homelites came out with a Zama, Tillotson and Walbro carb on them. I've recently had a bit of trouble with the Walbros because of the one way valve on the diaphragm side. They kinda turn to mush after 40 years. I put a Zama carb on one of mine and it worked well. If you could try a good carburetor on it from a good running saw it would help to see if the carb was the problem..
If you read further up, I just replaced the check valve. I would love to have another carb to try but it would need to work with the same throttle linkage. I went thru everything again this morning. complete carb teardown again. here are some photos. if anyone sees any mistakes I made in kitting the carb please jump in. to my memory, the diaphragms and gaskets I got in the Walbro brand kit matched the old ones I removed, and I don't remember there being any optional diaphragms in the kit like some kits have. but it was over 3 months ago.
PXL_20221204_171548337.jpgPXL_20221204_171627316.jpgPXL_20221204_171737442.jpgPXL_20221204_171947535.jpgPXL_20221204_171957079.jpgPXL_20221204_172155687.jpgPXL_20221204_172853614.jpgPXL_20221204_223800732.jpg

there is one thing. the reed at the intake port looks good but does not close completely tight. almost imperceptible, but I can slide a .003" feeler gauge under it. a .004 will not fit. I don't think this is an issue as because as the saw fires up the reed would open some anyway. but I could be wrong.

to recap, the saw fires 1st pull on full choke. it starts on half choke but runs rough. as soon as I fully open the choke it slowly dies even when I pump the throttle. it won't idle in any case, not even on half choke.
PXL_20221204_170627379.jpgPXL_20221204_170650443.jpg

I assume you've already tried to adjust the leanness out of it. I also assume the round gasket matches the one you took out. I know they won't run right if you use the wrong gasket on these. The reed is probably all right. The only other thing I can think of is maybe a stopped up passage inside the carb maybe caused by corrosion. That's one reason I never use ethanol gas in a chainsaw, especially one with a small carburetor.

I assume you've already tried to adjust the leanness out of it. I also assume the round gasket matches the one you took out. I know they won't run right if you use the wrong gasket on these. The reed is probably all right. The only other thing I can think of is maybe a stopped up passage inside the carb maybe caused by corrosion. That's one reason I never use ethanol gas in a chainsaw, especially one with a small carburetor.
you just fixed my saw. thank you so much. it is running fantastic. I owe you. and I need to pay more attention to details.
PXL_20221205_141253104.jpg

I've wrestled with some of them type Homies.
I found it lots easier on my brain to keep a few good running/oiling one's handy as a donor saws for swapping parts.

I been pleasantly surprised few times when I swapped carbs, thinking the problem was elsewhere and found the carb was the only problem when compression was as low as 80psi on non runners.
I also noticed that just because them little Homies look the same at a casual glance externally they are not the same. Some parts including carbs and even ga/oil caps are not interchangeable.

I take them in as freebies mainly as parts donors. Keep them donor saws stored outside shop in rainproof stackable containers.

Back