Super xl-925 no start help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All great advice. In my limited experience the most common problem with the no fire sanario is gap between flywheel and mag. I run everything at 3/1000. Found that just works the best. I like the shear pin (key) theory also. Has got to be an electronic problem or you would have had a fart.. Points aren't stuck either open or closed? Anyway, my two bits..

All great advice. In my limited experience the most common problem with the no fire sanario is gap between flywheel and mag. I run everything at 3/1000. Found that just works the best. I like the shear pin (key) theory also. Has got to be an electronic problem or you would have had a fart.. Points aren't stuck either open or closed? Anyway, my two bits..

I don't know how to check the points. Any insight there?

And what do you use to gap the flywheel? I don't have a tool for that.

Thanks for all advice and tips.

SXL925’s never had points. A thinner business works as a gapping tool. Mount module on saw, turn flywheel till magnets are under module, put business card between flywheel magnets and module, loosen module bolts, (module will get pulled to flywheel) tighten module bolts, remove business card. Check for fire. If no fire, try to mount module as close as possible without rubbing flywheel.

I use a feeler gauge.. The strip type.. Loose mag screws, put the magnets and magneto together.. I open em back up with a screwdriver wedgie (tech term) slide 3/1000 in-between sideways, let my wedgie go, it comes together, I tighten the screws, and depending on which way my feeler is, rotate it out with the flywheel

I use a feeler gauge.. The strip type.. Loose mag screws, put the magnets and magneto together.. I open em back up with a screwdriver wedgie (tech term) slide 3/1000 in-between sideways, let my wedgie go, it comes together, I tighten the screws, and depending on which way my feeler is, rotate it out with the flywheel
I must have a strange 925 cuz it has all the guts of a point system. Just saying

Use a
I have a later 1 piece ignition module.

Ill try to readjust the module today. I believe I have a feeler gauge set. Been awhile. If not, business cards it is!
Use a go/no go system.. The closer you have it the better it is

I'll be damned the business card trick worked.

Got it fired up and fixed the carb issue. It was the bottom diaphragm I didn't seat the metal part onto the needle lever thingies.

Now I just got to keep it running for longer than 15 seconds.

Thanks a lot for that picture, was trying to find where to set the needles at. Wouldn't start until I set low 1.5 turns out.

Got it run for a couple minutes but still believe small air leak. The idle keeps revving away up then almost stalls unless I blip it.

Good to see you got some life out of that beast. When you get it running properly and the carb tuned to the sweet spot, you will be impressed with the power it puts out. I have a Super XL-922 which is a close cousin and about the same vintage and some of it's problems were due to carb issues. One was an erratic idle due to air leaking from a badly worn throttle shaft (must have been owned by a compulsive throttle blipper). Another problem that yours may have is the "buz-ball" governor. It's just a ball bearing held against a fuel orifice that vibrates off if the RPM gets too high and then lets extra fuel bypass the main jet making the mixture too rich, which drops the RPM. My saw was running erratic under full load so I just disabled the damn thing and the saw ran fine.

Latest posts

Back