Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Ole Pioneers need a tweak from time to time especially the P-51 , also my 357xp which is woods ported & peaky & the ole Dolmar 116 si which has always been touchy . My newer saws not so much , however always have clean air filters & carb driver in my vest pocket just in case . Every one is different , I have run numerous stock saws for firewood requirements , but recognize the benefits of a light responsive saw for limbing & felling in the cut . I would never turn down a well built woods ported saw . My new 7900prz2 will eventually be ported . Likely one of my last lol. ;)
The 116 and 120 Sachs Dolmar saws were the first fully ported saws we used in the woods, the I models started much easier and were a pleasure to run for felling and bucking or CTL applications, at that time we used the same saw for felling and limbing. Faster and lighter saws for limning came into use for me in the early 90`s, I wouldn`t run saws at all these days unless they performed as well as my ported saws do.

No compression release and the module has lost its retard for startup function, I have broken 4 new Elastostart handles on it since building it back around 2008-9. It shows 210lbs comp on my compression gauge.
Wow Jerry , your 066 a Red lite version ? I remember 066 running around 170-180 lbs compression unless you are base gasket delete or shaved head & advanced timing .019 squish etc. No , comp release is giving me a sore shoulder , just thinking about it brother lol :crazy:

The 116 and 120 Sachs Dolmar saws were the first fully ported saws we used in the woods, the I models started much easier and were a pleasure to run for felling and bucking or CTL applications, at that time we used the same saw for felling and limbing. Faster and lighter saws for limning came into use for me in the early 90`s, I wouldn`t run saws at all these days unless they performed as well as my ported saws do.
Yeah my 116 si was given to me by my Uncle , when he quit cutting firewood late 89 I believe , it was only 2-3 yrs old . I keep it along with the smaller Pioneers which were my Dads saws , as Sentimental shelf queens that come out to eat once or twice a yr. The P-51 is a old school monster that i picked up yrs ago I run 36 " skip tooth for large White & Red Pine blowdown bucking , it has some compression also for an ole girl . P.S. Yes , I remember 357 xp's doing a lot of felling & woodeck cutting back in the day !

Wow Jerry , your 066 a Red lite version ? I remember 066 running around 170-180 lbs compression unless you are base gasket delete or shaved head & advanced timing .019 squish etc. No , comp release is giving me a sore shoulder , just thinking about it brother lol
That particular 066 flat top was a build I did back in the 90`s when porting on here was all the rage, the cylinder has been shaved and running 18 -19 thou squish with just a bit of squish band shaved out of the head to reduce the combustion area, then given the full port timing, opening up of the exhaust redirect the incoming charge through the uppers, lots of grinding in the runners up from the base to the uppers, piston windows opened up and a good bit of lightening on it. muffler opened up and port matched , carb bored and as much intake port and runner shaved as was feasible. The airfilter is a flat standard steel mesh so no restriction on air intake or at least little as possible, the sound it makes reminds me of my open airfilter V8`s 455 big block Firebird when the dual4`s opened wide.The old module on it has lost its retard for start function and I could easily put a new module on it as I have several sitting here but I like it the way it is, it punishes one a bit just like 3500 lb return springs on the ole standard clutch McLeod Purple clutch setups in the 70`s, not a good choice for city driving between stop lights.

That particular 066 flat top was a build I did back in the 90`s when porting on here was all the rage, the cylinder has been shaved and running 18 -19 thou squish with just a bit of squish ring shaved out of the head to reduce the combustion area, then given the full port timing, opening up of the exhaust redirect the incoming charge through the uppers, lots of grinding in the runners up from the base to the uppers, piston windows opened up and a good bit of lightening on it. muffler opened up and port matched , carb bored and as much intake port and runner shaved as was feasible. The airfilter is a flat standard steel mesh so no restriction on air intake or at least little as possible, the sound it makes reminds me of my open airfilter V8`s 455 big block Firebird when the dual4`s opened wide.The old module on it has lost its retard for start function and I could easily put a new module on it as I have several sitting here but I like it the way it is, it punishes one a bit just like 3500 lb return springs on the ole standard clutch McLeod Purple clutch setups in the 70`s, not a good choice for city driving between stop light
That particular 066 flat top was a build I did back in the 90`s when porting on here was all the rage, the cylinder has been shaved and running 18 -19 thou squish with just a bit of squish ring shaved out of the head to reduce the combustion area, then given the full port timing, opening up of the exhaust redirect the incoming charge through the uppers, lots of grinding in the runners up from the base to the uppers, piston windows opened up and a good bit of lightening on it. muffler opened up and port matched , carb bored and as much intake port and runner shaved as was feasible. The airfilter is a flat standard steel mesh so no restriction on air intake or at least little as possible, the sound it makes reminds me of my open airfilter V8`s 455 big block Firebird when the dual4`s opened wide.The old module on it has lost its retard for start function and I could easily put a new module on it as I have several sitting here but I like it the way it is, it punishes one a bit just like 3500 lb return springs on the ole standard clutch McLeod Purple clutch setups in the 70`s, not a good choice for city driving between stop lights.
Wow nice job ! Yeah had a 1969 Chevelle with a 427 / 425 hp Rat . 750 Holley double pumper & elect. High flow fuel pump 10.5" Hayes clutch & 4-speed M-21 Muncie , short shift tranny . Miss those days !

Wow nice job ! Yeah had a 1969 Chevelle with a 427 / 425 hp Rat . 750 Holley double pumper & elect. High flow fuel pump 10.5" Hayes clutch & 4-speed M-21 Muncie , short shift tranny . Miss those days !
Those days are over with Honda Civic able to out accelerayte my 502 hp Firebird, My nephewhas a 500 hp Civic that runs 10 sec. quarter mile, not much chance for a nice big rear wheel drive muscle car taking it on the street. My good friend ownes a Super Snaked Shelby Cobra Mustang, the Civic beat the pants off it handily. We built a 1938 Willys Gasser style and it runs a built 472/500 block its quick but still has traction issues on launch running a narrowed Ford rear and M&H SLICKS.

Those days are over with Honda Civic able to out accelerayte my 502 hp Firebird, My nephewhas a 500 hp Civic that runs 10 sec. quarter mile, not much chance for a nice big rear wheel drive muscle car taking it on the street. My good friend ownes a Super Snaked Shelby Cobra Mustang, the Civic beat the pants off it handily. We built a 1938 Willys Gasser style and it runs a built 472/500 block its quick but still has traction issues on launch running a narrowed Ford rear and M&H SLICKS.
I hear you , Wifeys new Hyundia Kona is scary fast . My Son calls it the Red Rocket ! lol.

I hear you , Wifeys new Hyundia Kona is scary fast . My Son calls it the Red Rocket ! lol.
My friend just says a Civic has no "class", its just a rice burner, his Mustang cost 5 times what a Civic does, that`s all he is concerned about. But now he wants me to install a Supercharger on it for some strange reason, I say it will just ruin the Mustang.We twisted a 68 Mustang Fastback up real badly with a blown 429 in it, their firewall unibody can`t take the torque.

Well....Knock me sideways!!! Twenty odd pages down an nothing but an exibition of apathy!!!

I guess I could have posted earlier........

Anyway........went down back to the woodlot this afternoon. Knew there was some trees down but unable to attend to them the last year or so due my blown shoulder... Phew......I gotts some work to do.......just by counting stems looks to be at least 5-6 cord of downed hardwood trees. Most are on the ground or upright with the tops broken off, but a couple real snags in one place. Hard to tell from the pics as there is not much to reference the sizes with, but these are both 20-22" stems by around 65 feet tall. This wil be interesting disentangle and get on the ground!!!

IMG_2035.jpgIMG_2036.jpgIMG_2037.jpg

Yeah…..Dave of the Orchards let’s me cut it and then a chain to a 60-80hp 4WD tractor.
Sure makes it easier than the old way.
Good luck!!!!
Yep that's how I'd do it but not planning on chaining my 2000 lb tractor to a 6000 tree 10 feet in the air.....don't want to become a slingshot!!!!......me thinks I'll sacrifice another large tree to knock this pair down.....

Yep that's how I'd do it but not planning on chaining my 2000 lb tractor to a 6000 tree 10 feet in the air.....don't want to become a slingshot!!!!......me thinks I'll sacrifice another large tree to knock this pair down.....
Yup. We just cut at the edge of orchards anyway.
If the tractor doesn’t reach it…….we don’t try

A16,000lb Skidder can handle fairly big trees, just yank them buggers out with no regrets. I have to get some pics of ole cranky when we are into cleaning up the downed trees from Fiona.
Yeah.....I'm like 14,000 lbs shy!!!!!!! However that 2000 lbs will split and forward every bit of those trees out of the woods to the yard at the shop....LOL!!

Yeah.....I'm like 14,000 lbs shy!!!!!!! However that 2000 lbs will split and forward every bit of those trees out of the woods to the yard at the shop....LOL!!
A lot can be done with a smaller machine, just takes smaller bites at a time. We just put a new 5/8" X 150' cable on the drum.

Just find a D7 with a Hyster D7N winch! Here I am spooling on a new cable using a Teleporter as a counterweight to keep the cable taut.

Talking of the dangers of winching I enjoyed this story.

Back in the 80's I was in the airborne infantry and a few of us were offered a chance to cross train in vehicle recovery. It was a three week class and I learned a lot about recovering every type of vehicle you can imagine, and in every type of situation you can imagine. The one thing that stuck out that I will NEVER forget, was seeing the damage done to an M88 tank retriever when it's main winch line broke. The main winch is a 70 TON single line pull, and I believe the cable was 1.5 inches and I think there was 300 or maybe 400 feet of it. When the line snapped, it came right back and hit the M88 head on like a punch, and it knocked a hole RIGHT THROUGH SEVERAL INCHES OF STEEL BULK HEAD. You could see where it actually melted the steel as it forced its way through. No one was hurt, but it scared the crap out of every man there. The instructor said this is what happens when you don't do the math when figuring mire factors, block and tackle friction factors, knowing real vehicle weight, and enough pulling power to winch every sick whore in the world off her piss pot at the same time. Seeing that made me even nervous to pull too hard on my boot laces when tying them up. When we winch now, my pucker factor is always so tight you couldn't pound a pin up my ass with a jackhammer. I really know what can happen and it's scary. Whether or not these tests are real world, the damage a broke wire rope will do, is real world. Keep up the great work.

A broken winch line comes out so fast that you cannot see it coming. I worked pipeline for a few years, this happened when the boss ordered us to pull a pipe stuck in a bore hole. No one got hurt,but the destruction sure impressed is. Late model D8 and 60 ton winch.

A light duty version would be the old carpenter's trick.......two guys snapping a chalk line.....the guy with the reel starts to wind in the line and the guy with line end quickly pulls it taught then lets it go.......the guy with the reel ends up with crazy blue (or red) squiggly lines all over his chest.....great sport!!!

A light duty version would be the old carpenter's trick.......two guys snapping a chalk line.....the guy with the reel starts to wind in the line and the guy with line end quickly pulls it taught then lets it go.......the guy with the reel ends up with crazy blue (or red) squiggly lines all over his chest.....great sport!!!

I could see you……..

Latest posts

Back