Surface roots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christine

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I just bought a stump grinding company and would appreciate and tips on pricing jobs. For example, are surface roots usually included in the price? So far I have been working for a few local tree companies. One does not want to pay for them to be ground (found that out the hard way, worked 2 plus hours and was unable to charge them for it). Another complained that I didn't do enough of them.

Also, are surface roots ground 10-12 inches below grade as well?

Thanks,

Christine

Yes, I grind surface roots. If it goes out more than 3 feet from the stump then i will charge extra. I have had roots go out 20+ feet on soft maples and that jacks the price way up even double.You just have to think how much extra time it will take you for that and charge accordingly to what your labor rate will be. On the roots i go about 8 inches deep or when the root is all the way through which ever comes first and the stumps 12. You do't want any sprouts coming up later. I always rake aside the wood chips and hull them away and leave the dirt behind for the hole. This gets me many return customers and referrals.

pricing

BarryStumps - How do you figure your pricing on the stump removal? Sq Inches? What is avg. for 14" - 16" stumps?
Thanks -
DK

I have taken out anywhere from 3 inches to 8ft stumps. I just know how much time it will take including cleanup. My bid is based on $1 a minute with a minimum of $30. You will know after awhile how long each stump will take you. I don't go by inches because of roots and hight of stump. I am in a very competitive area and get almost all of my bids based on this. I do take extra time cleaning up and offer a no clean up bid as well.

Thank you

Thanks, BarryStumps. I don't do too many stumps and rent the grinder, just wanted to see where I was with pricing for stump removal...
Thanks again for your time!

Latest posts

Back