Tachometers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xpuser

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Whats the best tachometer out there. I have been using the PET-302r but they dont seem to be giving me long enough service life for the price. What is everyones favorite?

Stihl makes one I think the dealer said it was around $75.00 wireless but I'm like you I don't know if the cheaper ones are as good I hope you get several replies I would like to know myself

I have an oppama husky branded tach and love it! What's the matter with yours? I thought battery life was 10 yrs:confused:
The problem doesn't seem to be the battery but the display numbers start jumbling around once the engine gets over 5000 rpm on the one I have now. My last one just got to where you couldn't read the screen at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I prefer the NON-Wireless versions of a tachometer. Sure, the wireless version are easier to install, but ....are they really? I keep reading reviews here of wireless tach's that have problems. Yes, for some people they work great but the sampling/reporting on a chainsaw message board is spotty at best and do you want something out of the box reliable?

For me, something reliable was a wired tachometer and it took me all of 10 minutes to wrap the lead wire around my spark plug and put the saw back together. The lag isn't the best (and that is no different between wired or wireless from what I have read) but it works great for me and I do not have to worry about how far the tach is from my spark plug or any of that other BS.

Here is a post where I talk about installing my tach:
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/installing-fastach-fs-500-tach-on-stihl.242523/

Just my 2 cents.

-n

The problem doesn't seem to be the battery but the display numbers start jumbling around once the engine gets over 5000 rpm on the one I have now. My last one just got to where you couldn't read the screen at all.

Interesting my tach has 43 some hours on it and it'll read 22,000 just fine. Now, it will do some funky stuff when the rev limiter is hit tho!!

Does the saw you are tuning have a limiting coil?
Like its been mentioned before if the saw is tuned "passed" the coil it will give you every number but the one you are looking for.
If the saw has a limiting coil fatten the Hi side up (Be generous) and see if you can get a steady reading before you buy a new tach.
Sorry if this sounds like a broken record and you already knew this...

Tiny-tach, E Z tach are all decent tachometers, I actually use a DET-302 tach, as you can actually replace the batteries, pry the front off, undo the screws, remove it from the casing, then pry the batteries out. The batteries are spot-welded in, so use a carburettor screwdriver to pry them from the weld, then just stick two new cr2032 button batteries in, tape em up and re-assemble

Does the saw you are tuning have a limiting coil?
Like its been mentioned before if the saw is tuned "passed" the coil it will give you every number but the one you are looking for.
If the saw has a limiting coil fatten the Hi side up (Be generous) and see if you can get a steady reading before you buy a new tach.
Sorry if this sounds like a broken record and you already knew this...
Tried it again today on a 550xp and if I gradually throttle it up it would give a good reading about half the time until it hit the rev limiter but other times it will not. even when I know the saw is at Around 6 to 8k rpm it goes crazy. I am wondering if maybe it has been dropped and that has messed it up. That one reason for this post I was hoping that someone had one that they would recommend that has been proven to be durable.

Tried it again today on a 550xp and if I gradually throttle it up it would give a good reading about half the time until it hit the rev limiter but other times it will not. even when I know the saw is at Around 6 to 8k rpm it goes crazy.
Have you tried moving it closer/farther away from the spark plug? My first and now replacement Fast Tach's both went bonkers at less than 4"-6". The replacement tach is much better, but still has problems with sensitivity (or lack of).

I use mine on newly purchased used saws just to make sure I'm not running too many rpm. Kind of nice to get them dialed in.

Have you tried moving it closer/farther away from the spark plug? My first and now replacement Fast Tach's both went bonkers at less than 4"-6". The replacement tach is much better, but still has problems with sensitivity (or lack of).
That may be part of it. I hold it closer than that.

The first one of these I had I could hold it against the plug wire and get a good reading.

Latest posts

Back