Tachs compatible with Mtronic/Autotune?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpartanDiesel

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Guys,

I'm in need of a good tach for checking the tuning on several of my saws. Two of my newer saws are a MS441CM and a 562XP, and from what I'm reading so far most of the normal 2stroke tachs are useless on these.

I'd like to have one tach to take care of all my saws, but can deal with two if I must. Does anyone have recommendations on a tach that is compatible with the newest electronic controls?

Been there tryed that with a Works Connection tach,the flywheel has double pick up points.

attachment.php

I beleave Stihl make a tach for the MTronics, but the question is why do you wont a tach for them you cant adjust anything anyway ?.:confused2:

My response to this is better suited for another thread on another day (albeit I'm hoping for very slong oon). However, I wouldn't go around hedging bets on "can't be tuned" :eek:uttahere2:

The fast tach worked with the 555 up to 12.8k. The saw didn't turn any more than that so I don't know what happens after that. It did cut out on the 3120 above 10k. It hit 11.8k on it and after that it wouldn't go any higher.

The 441 CM can be "tuned" different its already been done twice and both saws run great.

If the Husky Autotune doesn't adjust the timing then any tach will work on it.

Most hand held tachs will work for the Mtronic, but not sure what you are going to do as far as tuning one??? with a hand held, you just go cut wood with them.

The mini tach is a different story on the Mtronic, it will throw crazy high numbers when you either free rev hit the rev limiter or when you bog or load the saw up to the point that the Mtronic system kicks in and starts to make adjustments to the timing. At that point multiple signals or weird fast adjustments are made on probably the weaker signal side that produces these weird high rpm numbers.

I have the Stihl Tach that is sold for the purpose of reading the rpms of the Mtronic saw ..................... lets just say I wish I would have spent that money on something else ....... like socks or Red Solo cups or something ....... it reads so slow its pointless.

Sam

Last edited:
Dont even bother trying ti at this point in time, as you can do nothing to change the rpm, likewise modding be it muffler or porting will only work so long as the parameters of the at/mt mapping have not been exceeded. Then you have an orange or creamsicle material to make into a new cup to compete with the red one!

The 441 CM can be "tuned" different its already been done twice and both saws run great.

If the Husky Autotune doesn't adjust the timing then any tach will work on it.

Most hand held tachs will work for the Mtronic, but not sure what you are going to do as far as tuning one??? with a hand held, you just go cut wood with them.

The mini tach is a different story on the Mtronic, it will throw crazy high numbers when you either free rev hit the rev limiter or when you bog or load the saw up to the point that the Mtronic system kicks in and starts to make adjustments to the timing. At that point multiple signals or weird fast adjustments are made on probably the weaker signal side that produces these weird high rpm numbers.

I have the Stihl Tach that is sold for the purpose of reading the rpms of the Mtronic saw ..................... lets just say I wish I would have spent that money on something else ....... like socks or Red Solo cups or something ....... it reads so slow its pointless.

Sam

Just to clear up some discrepancy in terminology I see here, when I say "tune" the saw, I'm referring to reprogramming the Mtronic module itself. Timing tables, Rpm limit, stoich settings, etc. Not hardware mods.

The reprogramming would be used to support and supplement hardware modification like porting, etc.

Just to clear up some discrepancy in terminology I see here, when I say "tune" the saw, I'm referring to reprogramming the Mtronic module itself. Timing tables, Rpm limit, stoich settings, etc. Not hardware mods.

The reprogramming would be used to support and supplement hardware modification like porting, etc.

OIC, yeah, the hardware stuff has been done already on two and it works.

That said, I've been told by someone that help develope the Mtronics that you can't reprogram the "software" due to how the system was made its too dumb for that, there isn't any reprogramming, that being said, what point is there to reprogramming, it already is programmed for max rpm or performance in most if not all work related settings, thats not cookie cutting.

That said, I think it might be like the older dodge diesels that you have to make a module that screws with the information being input into the standard program in order make the parameter changes, because you aren't going to change what Stihl has put into the system, just like you can't change what's in the older Dodges, you can only change what the older Dodge systems think they are reading and therefore manipulate it that way, unlike the modern diesel systems where you can go into the system and totally pull out the stock programming and enter new parameters or software.

In running them for awhile I can and do see how some modification of the curves could be handy for cookie cutting, because after viewing the videos of Brad's 441CM vs the 576 AT, I am confident that with the 1/2 second (average) faster time that the 576 AT had over the 441CM, I'm pretty confident that in most work conditions and for overall longevity that the 441CM is the better saw, as it has a slight pause due to it "thinking" about what is going on, this kills it for cookie cutting, but its great that it is thinking and it lugs and is darn hard to lug to a stop due to this "thinking" and constant adjusting of the settings that it does to keep that chain pulling. Unfortunately for the 441 CM many individuals here on ASite feel that cookie cutting times are the end all, be all to cutting wood, when it isn't.

I say that above paragraph to say that the 441 CM when cookie cutting will cut slow for the first say 2" of a say 20" log, as it adjusts from going from idle to full out cutting. I assume the 576AT doesn't take this moment to pause for the cause, as there isn't any software parameters in it to even contimplate such things, therefore its already off to the races ...... literally. So this 1/2 second loss to the 576AT was simply the 441CM making some adjustments which in work settings you wouldn't notice and if you know how the saw is running you can hear and feel that it is running good and rich with a lot of lugging power due to running rich, which is great for working, not so great for racing or cookie cutting. As is typically the case with me ..... I'll take that loss of 1/2 a second all day long if I get that better lugging power and ability to think about each situation as you are in the cut.

Also the 441 CM seems to shine the harder the wood or the longer the bar, as in it won't let you run it lean enough to just free rev through small wood, it applies the needed mixture and timing to get through the wood all the time being in proper tune, and not just reving its guts out just to simply rev its guts out, it thinks its way through the wood, its hard to explain, but it is why you hear some of us talking about how it seems like a neat team effort, by that I mean when you cut with it, it really seems like there is someone in there working with you, not trying to sound paranormal, LOL, but there is something else in that saw thinking and working ..... its not just you pulling the trigger in the middle of the woods. It is very neat I think. I do my work of lining up cuts and that little man, woman or "it" in the 441CM does his job of keeping that saw running best for efficient cutting.

I'm likely going to get a 32" Lite Bar and will put that on one of these new 441 CM's that I have and give it a rip with that, I'm not going to work all day with my standard ES 36", LOL, I'm a puss. I couldn't find any faults with the 441 CM with a 28" bar and a Muffler Mod, but I didn't get to run it with a mini tach on it. I will set both of my new ones up with the Mini tachs tonight or tomorrow and then report back the findings, as I get to put a lot of time on them in a given day of logging.

Sam

Last edited:
Well its not earth shattering, but I was trying to get the mini tachs from Works Connection to work on my two new 441 CM's and well none of the 3 I had left would work correctly. I had one that I could get to work before. I tried and failed several times as I was trying to get it to work and then I finally found a solution, I'm not done with the mounting yet, but it works flawlessly so far in or out of the cut.

It might be a couple of days before I finish it, as I have to start working on some other things and can't play anymore, but I want to get it done before Tuesday, when I am going to start using them both for logging.

I'll post the solution later after a little more testing.

Sam

Latest posts

Back