Take the bad and good!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giles

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just received an Echo chainsaw today. It was listed on eBay as buy-it-now and right out of the box, started on second pull!!
Now the bad, it was shipped full of gas and oil! Of course I dumped their gas and used my own.
Just can't imagine why some people do that. It came from a pawn shop and they have sold many chainsaws.
My feedback for them would have been Positive with 5 Stars.
Now, I am not so sure not so sure??

I got one that came full of oil and gas. You'd thought gasoline would be detected these days. The smell was strong when I opened it, not even in a garbage bag.

I forgot to drain the fuel and oil out of a saw I sold on ebay. The buyer left me negative feedback for that . No one is perfect ! Get over it

free gas? Be happy!
I drain mine (oil and fuel) stick the powerhead in a plastic bag after putting protection on the bucking spikes, then wrap it in a least one more bag before boxing it up. Oh, I usually wrap a rag around the powerhead before the plastic bag treatment to absorb any liquids that may come out.

I don't understand the problem. You bought a chainsaw off E-bay... From a pawn shop, and despite all that it runs?

Let the postal police deal with chasing down shipping violations. Count your blessings, you got what you wanted.
The saw runs and operates as it should correct?

I forgot to drain the fuel and oil out of a saw I sold on ebay. The buyer left me negative feedback for that . No one is perfect ! Get over it

When you do something stupid that effects someone else, it's not so easy to say "get over it".

You don't have to be perfect to empty a fuel and oil tank, prior to shipping a saw. It just takes some common sense. Granted, common sense is rare in this day and age, but it's still out there. :rolleyes:

What was the harm done here? The saw runs as it should . Where do you get off calling it stupid ! Stuff happens its life . I have had saws shipped to me in the past with fuel and oil in them it was not the end of the word . Have you never done anything stupid in your life?

What was the harm done here? The saw runs as it should . Where do you get off calling it stupid ! Stuff happens its life . I have had saws shipped to me in the past with fuel and oil in them it was not the end of the word . Have you never done anything stupid in your life?

Let me think about this just for a second or two. Hmmm........nope, never shipped anything with gas and oil in it.

Just because others have shipped saws to you with gas and oil in them, doesn't make it right. They're stupid as well.

If that saw you shipped with gas in it, had been sent part of the way by air (which it probably did) and that gas leaked out and had been near an ignition source, well, you can imagine the end result.

Guys like you just make it all that much tougher for the rest of us. Just one of the reasons why shipping rates are so frigging high. :mad:

I never said it was the right thing to do .Every time I ever shipped anything they always ask what is in the box when I tell them it is a chainsaw or parts they always say it will be shipped by ground. Issues like this have nothing to do with the cost of postage. You must be perfect since you never screwed up before . Your out of line for calling everyone who has screwed up something stupid !

You know the law around these parts. Pics or it didn't happen. Let see that new echo, we got so distracted about a lil gas and oil, we forgot to follow the CAD creed.

I never said it was the right thing to do .Every time I ever shipped anything they always ask what is in the box when I tell them it is a chainsaw or parts they always say it will be shipped by ground. Issues like this have nothing to do with the cost of postage. You must be perfect since you never screwed up before . Your out of line for calling everyone who has screwed up something stupid !

I can't recall the last time I had a postal clerk ask me what was in the box that I was shipping. They did ask me if anything in the box was hazardous or something to that effect. For me, that would have been a clue that maybe gasoline and/or oil is hazardous.

There are plenty of members on this forum that ship tons of chainsaws. I can't hold a candle as to the amount they ship. But, I've shipped enough of them to know what needs to be done to safely ship one and to assure that it gets to the buyer in one piece.

Liability does play a part in determining the cost of shipping, be it USPS, UPS or Fed-Ex. If everyone packed the articles they are shipping perfectly according to the carrier's instructions, costs could be decreased. And, if the carriers themselves treated every parcel as if it were their very own, costs could be decreased.

I've tried to imagine a situation that I would ship a chainsaw and not remove the fuel and oil in it. I simply cannot fathom a situation in which I would. Obviously, some do, and you are one of them.

I apologize for calling you stupid. I was too quick to do that. It's just that I would never have done what you did. If nothing else, maybe all this will stick in your mind and it won't happen again. Lesson learned? :popcorn:

Latest posts

Back