talk me out of a top handle.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Husky Man

Husky Man

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
WOW, I never would have expected some the Fear Mongering comments, on this site. I expected more Mature Reasonable comments from what I expected to be EXPERIENCED, KNOWLEDGEABLE Sawyers.

ANY Chainsaw CAN be Dangerous if Misused, a Top Handle saw used by an Experienced sawyer, shouldn't incite the FEAR that some here are expressing, absolutely Surprising.

Maybe a little extra awareness is called for using a Top Handle, but in MY OPINION, some of these replies are way over the Top (Handle;))

Sure if you aren't a fan, no one is Forcing anyone to Buy or Use one but Wow, this site seems to have suddenly been overrun by Liberal Worry Warts.

I have had a Little Husqvarna 23 Compact, Top Handle for probably 25 years now, it's not always the "Best" tool for every task, but there ARE times that it is not only the Best tool for a given task, but even the SAFEST tool for a particular task.

A Top Handle saw, is a Great tool to have available, for when it IS the Best tool for the job at hand. I use my Top Handle a lot, and can't imagine not having one

YMMV,
Doug :cheers:

chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
. AS Supporting Member.
WOW, I never would have expected some the Fear Mongering comments, on this site. I expected more Mature Reasonable comments from what I expected to be EXPERIENCED, KNOWLEDGEABLE Sawyers.

ANY Chainsaw CAN be Dangerous if Misused, a Top Handle saw used by an Experienced sawyer, shouldn't incite the FEAR that some here are expressing, absolutely Surprising.

Maybe a little extra awareness is called for using a Top Handle, but in MY OPINION, some of these replies are way over the Top (Handle;))

Sure if you aren't a fan, no one is Forcing anyone to Buy or Use one but Wow, this site seems to have suddenly been overrun by Liberal Worry Warts.

I have had a Little Husqvarna 23 Compact, Top Handle for probably 25 years now, it's not always the "Best" tool for every task, but there ARE times that it is not only the Best tool for a given task, but even the SAFEST tool for a particular task.

A Top Handle saw, is a Great tool to have available, for when it IS the Best tool for the job at hand. I use my Top Handle a lot, and can't imagine not having one

YMMV,
Doug :cheers:
Over the top (handle):lol:.
I think it's all about balance...
It's good to recognize that the same hazards that are found in a rear handle saw will be multiplied on a top handle saw and all the more when one handing it. It should aslo be mentioned every time it comes up as there are always new folks reading this who have little experience running saws.
I agree, some of the comments are a bit over the top, but that was invited into the thread by the OP's title of the thread :cheers:.
Hope all is well out your way buddy :).

Trapper_Pete

Trapper_Pete

ArboristSite Operative
well you have all mostly confirmed what I was thinking that they are light well balanced , convenient and useful for a lot of tasks and can easily become a go to saw for those times when you need a saw to cut a smaller things.

but there is some danger in thinking because it isn't as powerful as the big saw , it is less capable of serious injury , it can still cut you in a hurry.

because it has the ability to one hand operate it means your other hand has to be more careful where it goes.

all these things could easily be said about handgun operation also , when opening doors , negotiating obstacles . re-holstering and everything else you do you just need to be that much more conscience of exactly what you are doing and where your muzzle is and that your finger stays out side the trigger guard until sights are on the target

trade bar and chain for muzzle and trigger for throttle

currently when I have firewood split too long for the stove I toss it on the saw buck and go grab my 2255 , a small top handle could easily take that place and serve as a more convenient truck saw, I used to have a little poulan for a truck saw

much of the time when I am at the farm cutting I am working along side the skid steer , I like my saws so I try and only set them down where the skid steer will not run them over this means I end up carrying the saw with me often and only set it down to hook up a chain or tasks I need 2 hands for and then quickly pick it up again to keep it with me. that is much of the appeal a saw so light I it would be easier to keep the saw right there as well as handy to lock the bar drag the brush unlock the bar cut the next limb , repeat .

but understood , not a beginners tool the user should have a very good understanding of the forces involved in saw chain

chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
. AS Supporting Member.
well you have all mostly confirmed what I was thinking that they are light well balanced , convenient and useful for a lot of tasks and can easily become a go to saw for those times when you need a saw to cut a smaller things.

but there is some danger in thinking because it isn't as powerful as the big saw , it is less capable of serious injury , it can still cut you in a hurry.

because it has the ability to one hand operate it means your other hand has to be more careful where it goes.

all these things could easily be said about handgun operation also , when opening doors , negotiating obstacles . re-holstering and everything else you do you just need to be that much more conscience of exactly what you are doing and where your muzzle is and that your finger stays out side the trigger guard until sights are on the target

trade bar and chain for muzzle and trigger for throttle

currently when I have firewood split too long for the stove I toss it on the saw buck and go grab my 2255 , a small top handle could easily take that place and serve as a more convenient truck saw, I used to have a little poulan for a truck saw

much of the time when I am at the farm cutting I am working along side the skid steer , I like my saws so I try and only set them down where the skid steer will not run them over this means I end up carrying the saw with me often and only set it down to hook up a chain or tasks I need 2 hands for and then quickly pick it up again to keep it with me. that is much of the appeal a saw so light I it would be easier to keep the saw right there as well as handy to lock the bar drag the brush unlock the bar cut the next limb , repeat .

but understood , not a beginners tool the user should have a very good understanding of the forces involved in saw chain
Don't put your left hand in front of the barrel and don't get your eye to close to the scope lol.

Trapper_Pete

Trapper_Pete

ArboristSite Operative
Don't put your left hand in front of the barrel and don't get your eye to close to the scope lol.

yup basically and don't point a running saw at anything you don't want cut.

I don't let my son draw from a holster in our club level competition either, most youth divisions have the kids shoot from low ready , not because drawing from the holster is dangerous , but because there are a lot of ways to screw up putting a loaded gun into the holster and that is might close quarters to important stuff. better to make sure it is fully their butt and not half their mothers before they go sliding a loaded pistol past it.

Deleted member 150358
D

Deleted member 150358

As someone mentioned homeowner safety chain (shark fins) work exceptionally well on the small saws. Reduces kickback, less grabby and seems to stay sharp longer in dirty stuff.

Stay away from 3/8 lp narrow kerf it just doesn't hold up to dirty hardwoods ECT... Teeth pull off way too easy imo. Does cut fast but not once a few teeth pull off.

chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
. AS Supporting Member.
I said "talk me out of a top handle" because all I could see was the benefits and wanted to understand the potential negatives before I drove down to my dealer and purchased the one I keep looking at.
For out of the tree use the only time I prefer one over a rear handle is when cutting up a pile of smaller sticks, it's also a dangerous task as I'm doing that one handed, I'm very careful not to hey in a hurry and to let the chain stop before making my next move, clear down range, all clear.
They have their place, but as I said most people really don't have a need for them, much like a 90cc saw(that should keep the conversation going :popcorn2:).
Are you still going to buy one, or have we failed the mission.

Trapper_Pete

Trapper_Pete

ArboristSite Operative
can't say I won't buy one , but not today , I am going to think on it a bit more. if I found a great price on a very light rear handle I might go that way as well and currently my discretionary account is just a little short of a new top handle , by the way personal discretionary funds funded equally are good for keeping a happy marriage. a budgeted amount pulled automatically on pay day and placed in separate accounts his and hers I can buy all the guns and chainsaws I can afford and she can buy all the yarn and sewing machines she can afford.

Trapper_Pete

Trapper_Pete

ArboristSite Operative
For out of the tree use the only time I prefer one over a rear handle is when cutting up a pile of smaller sticks, it's also a dangerous task as I'm doing that one handed, I'm very careful not to hey in a hurry and to let the chain stop before making my next move, clear down range, all clear.
They have their place, but as I said most people really don't have a need for them, much like a 90cc saw(that should keep the conversation going :popcorn2:).
Are you still going to buy one, or have we failed the mission.

I told you you were a bunch of enablers you even had the mission backwards , the mission was to try and convince me why I didn't need one.

yes I do not NEED one but I might still Want one.

chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
. AS Supporting Member.
I told you you were a bunch of enablers you even had the mission backwards , the mission was to try and convince me why I didn't need one.

yes I do not NEED one but I might still Want one.
Here I thought you wanted me to buy your top handled saw :D.

James Miller

James Miller

Addicted to ArboristSite
true but I have been quite good at controlling myself on chainsaws so far.
I thought I needed a top handle once. So I picked up a 355t. I don't climb and it didn't take long to realize it doesn't do anything better then a small rear handle saw. YMMV

kevin j

kevin j

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
mostly Janome sometimes it is about the dealer support your going to get in sewing machines just like chain saws . except that there ar 5 or 10 saw techs for every sewing machine tech , most of the people who do it are retiring and few are picking up sewing machine repair.

I’ve sort of fell into vintage black cast iron Singer sewimg machines. Have had a small one for 40 years sewing camp gear, bags, etc. Found out it was valuable (221 Featherweight) so I bought a larger one to do my household tasks. A $25 singer 15, portable. Then another 15 portable for grandkids to learn. Then a treadle 15 because the wood grain was so incredible. So currently I have 5 left. Sold two last week. It’s under control. And total investment maybe $150.
Seems to be a pattern: decades in vintage cars, then down to vintage motorcycles, then vintage chain saws, now sewing machines. Less space, cost, and labor required each downgrading. And I can fix these in the house. But not into ‘collecting’ anything., All the objects get used for a function, just doing a job with old stuff.
Interesting to watch Buckin Billy Ray Smith videos, same concept.
But, yes, for AN Y production tool, I think dealer support is more mimportant than brand.

Latest posts