Talk to me about 288s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have one unaltered shelf queen and a ported xp beat-up/scruffy one to use, plus another that's still a saw-in-a-box I'm slowly scrounging parts for.
This one has rubber up front and all springs in the back.

288lite1_zpsc8310902.jpg

288lite0_zps03ecc8fa.jpg

288lite_zps4374ead0.jpg

Have one unaltered shelf queen and a ported xp beat-up/scruffy one to use, plus another that's still a saw-in-a-box I'm slowly scrounging parts for.
This one has rubber up front and all springs in the back.

288lite1_zpsc8310902.jpg

288lite0_zps03ecc8fa.jpg

288lite_zps4374ead0.jpg
That's a sweet Lite 288. I've cut too much with mine for it to look pretty... however it surely cuts pretty.

One thing about 288s is it does not have a throttle cable it has a arm. Mine was so worn when I got it it was not opening up but about 80%. Something for 288 owners to check. I had to add some material. Has anyone discussed the governed carb?

Ditch the stock carb and put on a WJ from a 394. It takes a little finagling but it's well worth it.

Sorry to diverge off topic. Here is the promised pic of the 820/920 and 830/930 cylinder differences. These are actually "8"'s, with the 820 on the left and the 830 on the right. I love this saw family. But unlike the 288's, parts are pretty hard to find.

qhIeefy.jpg

XiAnqjP.jpg

...820/920 and 830/930 cylinder differences.

Do they use the same piston? No difference in port timing?
If this change alone is that significant, I have to wonder what other saws would benefit by this type of mod.
You wouldn't happen to have the stock timing numbers....?

Sorry to diverge off topic. Here is the promised pic of the 820/920 and 830/930 cylinder differences. These are actually "8"'s, with the 820 on the left and the 830 on the right. I love this saw family. But unlike the 288's, parts are pretty hard to find.

qhIeefy.jpg

XiAnqjP.jpg

Nice visual difference. I would like to run a 930 and see how it stacks up against the others. I just wish they were easier to find and parts were more available.

Latest posts

Back