Teaching myslef to climb...... Advice?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flashpuppy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well, I have been doing some reading and pondering and decided that I am going to learn to climb. I think it would be great fun, plus I have found several situations where being up in the tree would have been more than useful for taking it down.

I am not looking to do this professionally or make any money out of it, this is just something I would really like to try. I don't know anyone who climbs, so I think this will be on my own.

I ordered up this today. I am really starting from zero knowledge.

What else should I start reading? Any other thoughts/suggestions? I know to take it slow and easy. It will be a while until I even purchase any gear, I want to know what I actually need before spending any money.

Thanks

I have said this over and over and over again! Learning on your own is DANGEROUS and slow!
You have no idea if your knots are right or not, you can read all you want, but do you want to trust your life to what you think you understand in a book?
I say this from EXPERIANCE!! I have been learning on my own for a few years now. What I know pales compared to what I could have learned in a couple of weeks working with someone!!
Call a small tree service and offer your service on weekends for education. It's hard work, but it's an education.
I know I sound like a jerk right now, but it's for your sake. I used to free climb and trim everything that way. My wife watched one day and when I got home she sat me down and told me to order everything I needed to be able to do it safely. But leaning how to use it has been very difficult as well.
Good luck to you, but seek all the local help you can find!

I ordered up this today. I am really starting from zero knowledge.

What else should I start reading? Any other thoughts/suggestions? I know to take it slow and easy. It will be a while until I even purchase any gear, I want to know what I actually need before spending any money.

Thanks

I would suggest looking for a book on how to make up a will without the use of a lawyer..and even some home remedies of broken bones and severe lacerations.

Important buy a burial plot asap ya don't want to burden the grieving family your about to leave behind! I got an idea just play Russian Roulett much more humane.

Nah, depending on who you are and what your are doing, you can learn a lot by yourself but you need to prepare and understand the basics.
My friend left his motorcylce here, I have never ridin one til now. I went into it slow and easy all by my little self. Sure there is much a man with experiance can show me but sometimes when you want to get your feet wet you just jump in. Your grit or natural selection will tell you if you can jump back out.
You know, I don't even have a liscense to drive a bike? AND I'M NOT GETTIN ONE EITHER! My buddy is picking up his death machine this weekend and I am now looking for a moped. Its not the bike that scares me, its the guy in the panel van riding my ass and the idiot pulling out in front of me. I am going to try something safer like an Ultralite.

But you are on the right track, you do need other people who know more than you though, I mean I couldn't even finger out how to start the bike without asking.

first thing

I would have to say borrowing some gaffs, a belt, HELMET and some ropes and going out learn on your own is good for one thing. It will let you know if you have the sack to climb. It looks so easy from the ground. But getting a little taste before you spend money on old moldy gear on ebay is a good idea.

Then if you like it and think you still want to do it I would spend money on decent gear and find someone to tell you when your about to make a big mistake.

My advice here is usually like a fart in church but here you go : First thing is learn to set a rope, maybe somewhere where you can leave it hang. Then learn a basic climbing knot well. Then when you slip you won't break your neck. Climbing trees kills alot of homeowners every year and is no joke , falling doesn't hurt to much but the sudden stop can be a killer. Another thing watch someone who can climb, you will absorb alot .

Jeff's book is a good place to start.

If you have never climbed and want to, can I buy some life insurance for you?

Despite what "Stihl"#says, buying some gaffs is the wrong place to start. Real climbers don't use (or need gaffs.)

If you're serious about climbing and don't want to kill yourself, I would recommend attending a climbing school like the one Arbormaster#puts on.

You won't find better instruction anywhere and it could save you a lot of pain if not save your life. Weigh the cost of the school against a broken leg or back (or worse) and it looks real cheap.

Yeah

Jeff's book is a good place to start.

If you have never climbed and want to, can I buy some life insurance for you?

Despite what "Stihl"#says, buying some gaffs is the wrong place to start. Real climbers don't use (or need gaffs.)

If you're serious about climbing and don't want to kill yourself, I would recommend attending a climbing school like the one Arbormaster#puts on.

You won't find better instruction anywhere and it could save you a lot of pain if not save your life. Weigh the cost of the school against a broken leg or back (or worse) and it looks real cheap.

agreed I just said gaffs out of reflex but my point was if he is looking to get in to it, find someone with some equipment that fits proper and can give you some advise so you can try a few climbs and know that you still want to do it.

It would really suck to spend $495 on an arbormaster class (2 day basic climber) and half way up a tree realise hey this isn't for me.\\

Also I believe Arbormaster policy states you must be employed or affiliated with a tree related business to be eligible. I believe ISA has a list of other training classes available around the world.

Thanks for the positive replies guys!!! :laugh::laugh:

Seriously, I would like to get a good knot book and practice rigging knots for a good long while. Lot's of people teach themselves how to fell and buck safely, how much different can this be? (a LOT apparently)

Backup plan, who lives close to NW Indiana (and knows how to climb) and has a weekend to kill?

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Thanks for the positive replies guys!!! :laugh::laugh:

Seriously, I would like to get a good knot book and practice rigging knots for a good long while. Lot's of people teach themselves how to fell and buck safely, how much different can this be? (a LOT apparently)

Backup plan, who lives close to NW Indiana (and knows how to climb) and has a weekend to kill?

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

That is your best bet

I agree with the no gaffs comment. As far as your knots are concerned, if it works at 2 feet it works at 100, ie when you tie your blakes hitch, go up 5 feet and sit into it, if it's holding you, you tied it correctly, if it doesn't hold you, you tied it wrong. I think you need to learn the basics with basic equipment. Start with the blakes, when you get used to it, move to a schwabisch. Once you master those, and you most likely won't master the second if you're learning on your own for fun, you can move to more advanced knots like the VT (which I dislike, but thats another story). Climb small trees, use your lanyard alot as a back up, and have fun.

First off riding a motorcycle doesnt even compare!!!! this "Trade" kills & seriously injures many people every month experienced & non-experienced!

The bad thing about doing by yourself.....when you find out you messed something up its usually to late.

I say this every time a newbee asks & usually get into trouble for being harsh, so I will be a bit more sensitive for you new soft skinned fellas.

apply at a tree company and learn from an experienced climber/bucket operator & even then you will still make mistakes but atleast you will be told!

As for some thinking this line of work is easy "only 3 cuts & a toro dingo" they are more cocky than experienced & their lengthy babble of how to`s & how it should be is just proof they still have a lot to learn!!!!

be safe & take care!

LXT..................

I say this every time a newbee asks & usually get into trouble for being harsh, so I will be a bit more sensitive for you new soft skinned fellas.

apply at a tree company and learn from an experienced climber/bucket operator & even then you will still make mistakes but atleast you will be told!

LXT..................

Eh... I aint thin skinned.

I wish I could apply somewhere, except I have a very good, very good paying career already. Besides, I'm not looking to do this professionally, just a bit recreational.

I'm still looking for someone local to hang out with and learn from..... hint hint hint.... :cheers:

I agree that it's best to learn how to use the gear from a professional. It's not like climbing a tree when you were a kid or climbing in a deer stand. It really takes some getting used to when putting your faith in knots and equipment. The guy that taught me would set a line in a tree for a belay and let me take off. He double checked my knots at first, taught me how to "strap on my spikes" and gave me moral support as I was learning to climb. There is really no substitute for a live teacher. Books are great but they can't check your knots or tell you the little things about tree work that can save your life. The subject is too broad to be learned by a book. Maybe you could hook up with some recreational climbers to learn the climbing aspect. However, I wouldn't want to go using a chainsaw in a tree unless I had someone with some experience to supervise. Whole different ballgame than using a saw on the ground.

Gee, how about this Saturday?

Indianapolis Climbing Class

2009 Indiana Tree Climbing Class
What it is: A range of tree climbing techniques taught and demonstrated by Rich Hattier of Anchor Bridge Ropeworks. Hosted by Metro Arborist Supplies and TreeStuff.com
When and where: The class will be held on Saturday, March 28th, 2009. Rain or shine. The class will take place at 3564 W. 71st Street in Indianapolis. (This is one mile east of the Metro Arborist Supplies shop).
The anticipated schedule is as follows:
9:30 am to 12:30 pm Beginner and Intermediate Techniques, including:
Overview of climbing gear and gear inspection
Planning the tree
Throw line use and manipulation
Climbing Hitches and Systems
Movement in the tree
30 minute break for lunch (on your own). Drinks will be provided.
1:00 pm to 4:00 pm Advanced Techniques, including:
Planning the tree
Ascent systems
Anchoring systems
Advanced climbing hitches
Self Tending climbing systems
Registration fee is $20 If paid in advance we accept: Cash, Check or Credit Card.
If paid on the day of the event we accept Cash only please. The $20 registration fee is good for admission to the entire day. You are welcome to participate in one or both sessions. CEUs will be available for certified arborists.
Questions? Please contact: Luke Dunlevy of Metro Arborist Supplies
(317) 293-3401
[email protected]

That's a good place to start, and for only 20 bucks, it can't be beat. That being said, it'll most likely be like drinking from a fire hose, as that's a hell of alot to learn in an 8 hour day.

You can't beat that with a stick for $20. You might be able to meet up with someone there who would be willing to hook up and show you some stuff later on as well. Heck, I'd go for $20. I wish we had those kind of events around here.

Latest posts

Back