Teaching myslef to climb...... Advice?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably, which is why I said you have to be careful about taking the advice to just "go work for a pro for a year". You have to make intelligent decisions about who or what you're learning from. Just because someone or an organization says they know what they're doing does not mean that they do. I think tree work takes quite a bit of good old natural horse sense. Thats something that you can't always learn from formal training. Besides all that, if no one ever did anything unless they were formally trained for it, not a lot would get done in our world. Nothing would be invented, places and things would not be discovered and our lives would be pretty boring. Not saying people should go hog wild and buy gear and start falling trees the next day, just that there is a place for learning by experience tempered by common sense.

First off riding a motorcycle doesnt even compare!!!! this "Trade" kills & seriously injures many people every month experienced & non-experienced!

The bad thing about doing by yourself.....when you find out you messed something up its usually to late.

I say this every time a newbee asks & usually get into trouble for being harsh, so I will be a bit more sensitive for you new soft skinned fellas.

apply at a tree company and learn from an experienced climber/bucket operator & even then you will still make mistakes but atleast you will be told!

As for some thinking this line of work is easy "only 3 cuts & a toro dingo" they are more cocky than experienced & their lengthy babble of how to`s & how it should be is just proof they still have a lot to learn!!!!

be safe & take care!

LXT..................

:cheers: Look dude, are you really that dim? At first I didn't think so. What's your problem now? Don't appreciate my candor?

See, hombre, I was one of those self teaching sob's who would come round guys like you and weep in pity. Not only did I teach myself but I forked over my own cash for LESSONS M and F'er. And I know the balance just fine. So there. Have another:cheers:

hey man i think its awsome you what to learn to climb trees i climb with my kids for fun all the time my 9yr old has 5 yrs experience my 4yr old is just starting and they both love it, but its your life on that line, so please educate your self first and then practice low & slow at first. HAPPY CLIMBING:clap: I HOPE SOME DAY THEY MIGHT WANT TO HELP OLD DAD.lol

Last edited:
Hoo boy, here it comes!

I used a spare rock harness with a Petzl WIlliam and two 6mm prussiks, because that is what I have and know. I rigged up a flipline out of 11mm static, and my climbing line is 10mm dynamic. THrowline is string trimmer line. PITA but it works. Was helping out my neighbor recently, and he got a few pics. My first time using a flipline in conjunction with the climbing line to pull tight and anchor myself in. It actually works, but I was moving very slowly for a while.

I see the rationale for a sliding D ring harness. I might rig something up with a 7 mm cordelette and some sling material sewn into the waist and leg loops--I need to keep the two closer together anyway.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Action shot....moving so fast it blurred! LOL
attachment.php

attachment.php

I imagine I will hear about this one.

Last edited:
its dangerous take precautions

Call a local tree company and ask if their best climber is willing to teach you the basics in his or her spare time. It will probably cost a little but the reward of climbing and keeping your life is well worth it. Its not climbing itself you have to learn that either comes naturally or it doesnt. The things you should concentrate on would be more like are branches capable of conducting electricity enough to kill me or why does the bark of this tree have small cracks in it. Learn about trees and their hazards not climbing rules, practice and procedure. Safety is your number 1 concern and until you know about trees you can not climb safely. Unles you plan to take the tree down dont wear spikes and until you know whether or not a tree needs to come down dont climb. Oh yes and leave the saw on the ground until you learn how to get it into the tree from 40 feet up.

getting help from someone with expierince sounds good but at some point the first person climbing in any area had to teach himself :jawdrop:

Well, I have been doing some reading and pondering and decided that I am going to learn to climb. I think it would be great fun, plus I have found several situations where being up in the tree would have been more than useful for taking it down.

I am not looking to do this professionally or make any money out of it, this is just something I would really like to try. I don't know anyone who climbs, so I think this will be on my own.

I ordered up this today. I am really starting from zero knowledge.

What else should I start reading? Any other thoughts/suggestions? I know to take it slow and easy. It will be a while until I even purchase any gear, I want to know what I actually need before spending any money.

Thanks

There are only three things you need to remember when learning to climb.

1. Learn from a professional climbing teacher.

2. Repeat 1

3. Repeat 1 some more.

Seriously, this is a hazardous profession where small mistakes can be deadly. Not dangerous, deadly. You know, where some paramedic calls your Mom and says "Ma'am, I have some bad news.....". You spend a thousand on learning the basics correctly and you will not only be more likely to make it to the family Christmas dinner but you may just discover you like it enough to do it for money.

As for the Tree Climbers Companion. I have worn out my first copy, have a second copy in my truck and a 3rd in the rigging bin where anyone can look it over during lunch breaks. Best all round tree work book I have read.

climbing classes-

When are they going to gold another one and is there anything like this closer to Wisconsin?

Gee, how about this Saturday?

Indianapolis Climbing Class

2009 Indiana Tree Climbing Class
What it is: A range of tree climbing techniques taught and demonstrated by Rich Hattier of Anchor Bridge Ropeworks. Hosted by Metro Arborist Supplies and TreeStuff.com
When and where: The class will be held on Saturday, March 28th, 2009. Rain or shine. The class will take place at 3564 W. 71st Street in Indianapolis. (This is one mile east of the Metro Arborist Supplies shop).
The anticipated schedule is as follows:
9:30 am to 12:30 pm Beginner and Intermediate Techniques, including:
Overview of climbing gear and gear inspection
Planning the tree
Throw line use and manipulation
Climbing Hitches and Systems
Movement in the tree
30 minute break for lunch (on your own). Drinks will be provided.
1:00 pm to 4:00 pm Advanced Techniques, including:
Planning the tree
Ascent systems
Anchoring systems
Advanced climbing hitches
Self Tending climbing systems
Registration fee is $20 If paid in advance we accept: Cash, Check or Credit Card.
If paid on the day of the event we accept Cash only please. The $20 registration fee is good for admission to the entire day. You are welcome to participate in one or both sessions. CEUs will be available for certified arborists.
Questions? Please contact: Luke Dunlevy of Metro Arborist Supplies
(317) 293-3401
[email protected]

newby climbing

I got into this climbing thing by wanting to get rid of a huge willow tree over 50 feet tall. I got all kind of estimates between $2000 to $3500 depending on the level of service. I really try to be thrifty so I had a real hard time paying that. I had some basic rock climbing behind me so I bought Jepsen's book(I think he might even be a distant family member as my grandfather had the last name Jepson and was from Minnesota) and studied it a lot, took climbing classes at the local rock climbing gym, bought about $700 in safety gear and chainsaws, and went to work. I spent about a week inefficiently climbing and cutting, limbed, rigged a couple branches that hung over my house, freaked out my neighbors and family. When it was all said and done I was uninjured(bruised of course) but did have to replace a $50 dollar window from the tip of a branch falling. Of course the only mishap I had was the only time I could get my wife to video tape me. If I get around to it maybe I'll post it on youtube and all you real climbers and arborists can have a laugh at my eXpense. When you ride a desk for a living like I do it was the most fun i've had in years. However, in hindsight I probably could have taken all that time and just worked overtime and paid a pro to do it for me. Would I advise someone else to do what I did?? Absolutely not. Now I just wish I had more trees that needed to be cut down.:):):jawdrop::jawdrop::chainsawguy::chainsawguy:

Last edited:
attachment.php

I imagine I will hear about this one.

:ices_rofl:

Good on ya for posting it. Looks like it was a pretty good size limb. It looks like you weren't able to get through it quick enough to let it go. Plus the cuts on the side took away alot of the hinge. Did your saw go with it a little? Try offsetting your top and bottom cuts if that was the case.

Congrats on getting up there.

There are only three things you need to remember when learning to climb.

1. Learn from a professional climbing teacher.

2. Repeat 1

3. Repeat 1 some more.

Seriously, this is a hazardous profession where small mistakes can be deadly. Not dangerous, deadly. You know, where some paramedic calls your Mom and says "Ma'am, I have some bad news.....". You spend a thousand on learning the basics correctly and you will not only be more likely to make it to the family Christmas dinner but you may just discover you like it enough to do it for money.

As for the Tree Climbers Companion. I have worn out my first copy, have a second copy in my truck and a 3rd in the rigging bin where anyone can look it over during lunch breaks. Best all round tree work book I have read.

Any idea who published/wrote/printed this as would like to check a copy out?

I got into this climbing thing by wanting to get rid of a huge willow tree over 50 feet tall. I got all kind of estimates between $2000 to $3500 depending on the level of service. I really try to be thrifty so I had a real hard time paying that. I had some basic rock climbing behind me so I bought Jepsen's book(I think he might even be a distant family member as my grandfather had the last name Jepson and was from Minnesota) and studied it a lot, took climbing classes at the local rock climbing gym, bought about $700 in safety gear and chainsaws, and went to work. I spent about a week inefficiently climbing and cutting, limbed, rigged a couple branches that hung over my house, freaked out my neighbors and family. When it was all said and done I was uninjured(bruised of course) but did have to replace a $50 dollar window from the tip of a branch falling. Of course the only mishap I had was the only time I could get my wife to video tape me. If I get around to it maybe I'll post it on youtube and all you real climbers and arborists can have a laugh at my eXpense. When you ride a desk for a living like I do it was the most fun i've had in years. However, in hindsight I probably could have taken all that time and just worked overtime and paid a pro to do it for me. Would I advise someone else to do what I did?? Absolutely not. Now I just wish I had more trees that needed to be cut down.:):):jawdrop::jawdrop::chainsawguy::chainsawguy:

I think you appraoched it better than some real climbers. In fact I am actually going to give you some rep and that is not something I usually do... for anybody.
I have to say, also, that many guys say" get a job in the feild and learn" which sometimes isn't the greatest idea. When I think back of some of the guys I worked with when I started it reminds me of that song by Paul Simon " When I think back of all the crap I learned in high school its a wonder I can read at all"
I am trying to recall seeing that book anywhere besides my pocket. Nope, can't recall. Anyway, great job, lets see them pics, I hope you used a Kodachrome. Now stand back while I rep you.

First off riding a motorcycle doesnt even compare!!!! this "Trade" kills & seriously injures many people every month experienced & non-experienced!

The bad thing about doing by yourself.....when you find out you messed something up its usually to late.

I say this every time a newbee asks & usually get into trouble for being harsh, so I will be a bit more sensitive for you new soft skinned fellas.

apply at a tree company and learn from an experienced climber/bucket operator & even then you will still make mistakes but atleast you will be told!

As for some thinking this line of work is easy "only 3 cuts & a toro dingo" they are more cocky than experienced & their lengthy babble of how to`s & how it should be is just proof they still have a lot to learn!!!!

be safe & take care!

LXT..................

Man when I read this it just makes me want to take another shot.

The good thing about about doing to yourself is just as grand as the bad. But I can't say outside influence don't have much to do with it.

I think you appraoched it better than some real climbers. In fact I am actually going to give you some rep and that is not something I usually do... for anybody.
I have to say, also, that many guys say" get a job in the feild and learn" which sometimes isn't the greatest idea. When I think back of some of the guys I worked with when I started it reminds me of that song by Paul Simon " When I think back of all the crap I learned in high school its a wonder I can read at all"
I am trying to recall seeing that book anywhere besides my pocket. Nope, can't recall. Anyway, great job, lets see them pics, I hope you used a Kodachrome. Now stand back while I rep you.

That's the thing Treemandan. A fella could learn a lot by working for someone else, they are just as likely to end up in an urban forestry related after school special. For every professional there is a dozen others that buy rope at the Home Depot and spike every trim. Emphasis on every trim, not just some.

Doesn't Paul sing about all the girls he knew when he was single? Then he wants to bring them all together for one night? What are his intentions, other than watching the train wreck? That is all, carry on.

I finally uploaded my video to youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JReHXbkK0A

Thanks for the props Treemandan. Here is my tree cutting blunder. I wish I could have got my wife to take more video but she was too freaked out. I wish I had more videos. Now I am re-grading my yard and re-doing my concrete driveway and paying for the skidsteer operator and the for the dumpster rental with tree trimming and takedowns. I was fortunate to find a guy I bought a top handled saw from who is willing to give me a hand with rigging a couple of branches that hang over the house. I've learned my limitations.
:chainsaw:

Shattering Glass

Priceless video, all of it...the reticence of your wife, the teachable moment with the moth, your cut, and the broken glass. Like flying airplanes, at some point you have to fly solo or give it up. Thanks for the video and post some more, just reduce the limb weight a little and find another guy to help you with the rigging. He should stick to selling top handle saws.

Last edited:
I taught myself almost everything, with the help of the tree climber's companion and some other sources. Same reasons you did the same type of thing. Never broke a window, but almost broke me a few times. Usually because the guy on the ground had no more experience than me and nothing was ever let to run a little....

After all this, I have to agree with the general advice on this site -- go learn from someone. One of those do as I say, not as I did things I guess.

Well done posting the video. Takes guts. Reminds me of some of my "accidents" through life, including the kid's commentary. I love it.

I've learned my limitations.
:chainsaw:

What, we have limitations?

:cheers:

Good leaners like that are hard to beat.
Even with another hand on the rope
probably wouldn't of changed anything.

I like the part with your kid...
"Broke the window already.":laugh:
garfieldhangover.jpg

Latest posts

Back