Tell me about a Echo CS-680

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nipper

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I need a new saw for firewood.

Interested in a Echo CS-680. Looks like this saw has been around a long time and I'm good with that.
I do most of my cutting when it's cold out.

Would appreciate any comments!

What saw do you have now? No experience with the 680 but I have a 352 and it really surprised me how well it cuts for a small saw. Echo saws are hard to beat for the price.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Echo CS-440
Shindaiwa 377

Need a big one now. At least a 20" bar.

Heavy and sluggish . They are replacing it soon the word is, but as of now look at the cs620. Much better saw and I can tell you it will approach 70cc saw performance with external mods (a real powerful 70) and is more then a 680 stock.
One of the few new things I've purchased in recent years that I'm pleased with.

Anyone know the difference in the new digital ignition and the SAIS ignition used on the CS-680/CS-800?
I really like the auto type air filter the 680 uses and its the only Echo that still uses it. My 440 has that and I have NEVER had to touch it or clean it. Still looks new.

Anyone know the difference in the new digital ignition and the SAIS ignition used on the CS-680/CS-800?
I really like the auto type air filter the 680 uses and its the only Echo that still uses it. My 440 has that and I have NEVER had to touch it or clean it. Still looks new.
Not totally sure, though I know the cs620 only is said to have a much more aggressive curve then traditional Echos. I agree I wouldn't mind the 680 filter on my 620, but that being said the 620 filter stays clean enough for a hard day's cutting without cleaning.

Nipper, I don't listen to any trash about my Echo CS-670 (or perhaps a 680) because I know that mine runs very well and is built like a tank. It stays dead even with my Stihl 046 Mag. I built a simple adapter for it to handle Stihl bars. Take a look:
Echo CS-670.jpgI will likely never sell this chain saw. It always starts and runs strong. I've even pulled a 32" bar with it.

I don't think anyone talked trash about it. It's a great saw in terms of reliability, just not so much in terms of performance for what's out there. If you have one or are getting a sick deal on one, by all means have at it. But it doesn't make much sense to buy one full price when you can get their better performing 60cc saw or wait till they come out with the replacement. Judging by what they improved with the 620, I'm excited to see what the 680 replacement will do.

I understand the digital ignition has a CPU in it. The last thing I want in a saw is a computer. :wtf:

How many other saws out there have computer controlled ignition? The more I see the "old school" 680 the more I like it.
I'm not in any hurry when I cut so speed is not a real issue.

Yes, I'm old and out of touch. :yes:

Agree with Wood Doctor, my 440 is 10 years old and runs perfect.

Echo CS-440
Shindaiwa 377

Need a big one now. At least a 20" bar.
Cs620 is sold with a 27" bar, mine was. There are numerous videos on the tube with it cutting with that bar, check them out. I'm running a 24" now because that's what I need it for, but it pulls the 27" fine stock.

It's got a module inside the coil, like every other stand alone coil setup as of like 30 years. It's not a CPU.

Thats not what Echo says.... http://echo-usa.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1377/~/what-is-the-difference-in-ignition-systems?

"Digital Ignition:
This is the newest and most advanced ignition system because has a miniature CPU inside. The digital ignition will read the engine speed making adjustments to the timing to offer easy starts and high performance at variable engine speeds."

I've owned a CS-6700 and two CS-670's. They are not overly impressive anyplace, heavy as well. Very well built saws but you would NEVER find yourself reaching for one if you had a Husqvarna 268/272 or 372XP. I sent all of mine down the road, gave the CS-6700 to my neighbor, put both CS-670's up on Ebay and shortly after the heavy and slow CS-800.

Echo has a few "home-runs" in the line up, but none of those saws are among them......IMHO.....Cliff

Thats not what Echo says.... http://echo-usa.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1377/~/what-is-the-difference-in-ignition-systems?

"Digital Ignition:
This is the newest and most advanced ignition system because has a miniature CPU inside. The digital ignition will read the engine speed making adjustments to the timing to offer easy starts and high performance at variable engine speeds."
It's all electronics contained in the coil. The coil in your old saw isnt just a straight coil, it's got a few bits of electronic parts as does ever other saw. It's how the ignition curve is done, otherwise you'd get no curve which sucks on high RPM engines. At any rate, the saw has been out for a while now with no issues, typical of echo pro saws. To go even further, there are many more of those coils out there then cs620 saws because everyone is buying them and putting on the limited saws, which is every other echo. Nobody is having a issue with them.

It's all electronics contained in the coil. The coil in your old saw isnt just a straight coil, it's got a few bits of electronic parts as does ever other saw. It's how the ignition curve is done, otherwise you'd get no curve which sucks on high RPM engines. At any rate, the saw has been out for a while now with no issues, typical of echo pro saws. To go even further, there are many more of those coils out there then cs620 saws because everyone is buying them and putting on the limited saws, which is every other echo. Nobody is having a issue with them.

OK fair enough!! Appreciate your time and comments. Thank you.

If money no issue what would you want?

Latest posts

Back