Tell me about Axes....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's going to be some wood thatjust doesn't split; elm, etc. Cut it short enough to stick in the fireplace whole.

I wish I could. This round is kind of big. Probably 12" diameter or a little more.

The Council Tools PR60 6lb maul is back in stock at Bailey's. I just ordered one.

I'm going to buff it like CT Yank described and attempt to put it through it's paces.

If the handle holds up to my wayward ways, my main concern is shock transmission to my arms.

I'm going to treat it no different than I do the Honey Badger. We'll see if it makes 2015.

You can always noodle. Makes a lot of mess but better than hitting it 100 times lol

Crap I forgot about that. Would help if I actually had a working chainsaw but I'll save it until I get one. I drove by that street with all the bucked trees, still there. I'm going to go nuts on it this weekend and try to get it all. I need to make a sled with a dog harness. My dog is freaking retarded and possibly ADD. Super hyper and strong. If I could teach him to be my skidder he could get some exercise and help me at the same time.

The Council Tools PR60 6lb maul is back in stock at Bailey's. I just ordered one.

I'm going to buff it like CT Yank described and attempt to put it through it's paces.

If the handle holds up to my wayward ways, my main concern is shock transmission to my arms.

I'm going to treat it no different than I do the Honey Badger. We'll see if it makes 2015.

Man you sound like you're really hard on handles. Are your arms abnormally long, like a gorilla's? Are you cross eyed?

Man you sound like you're really hard on handles. Are your arms abnormally long, like a gorilla's? Are you cross eyed?

All of the above.

Sometimes I go from near to far edges of a round to get a hint of a split. Aaaaaand sometimes I misjudge the far side.

So I am rough on things.

All of the above.

Sometimes I go from near to far edges of a round to get a hint of a split. Aaaaaand sometimes I misjudge the far side.

So I am rough on things.

lol. One of the reasons I bought the Fiskars was I heard they have a lifetime warranty. Wellll, just read the warranty info. They don't cover misuse. Woops, would have helped if I read that little blurb before I bought this pricey bit of plastic.

I already smacked the crap out of the handle twice. Hope it can handle punishment.

lol. One of the reasons I bought the Fiskars was I heard they have a lifetime warranty. Wellll, just read the warranty info. They don't cover misuse. Woops, would have helped if I read that little blurb before I bought this pricey bit of plastic.

I already smacked the crap out of the handle twice. Hope it can handle punishment.

I fail to see your point... If it broke swinging at or hitting a chunk of wood then how is that misuse? I think if you broke the wedge by hitting the back of it with a sledge then that would be misuse... If you were using it to drive a steel wedge then that would be misuse...

Crap I forgot about that. Would help if I actually had a working chainsaw but I'll save it until I get one. I drove by that street with all the bucked trees, still there. I'm going to go nuts on it this weekend and try to get it all. I need to make a sled with a dog harness. My dog is freaking retarded and possibly ADD. Super hyper and strong. If I could teach him to be my skidder he could get some exercise and help me at the same time.
What kind of dog?

I fail to see your point... If it broke swinging at or hitting a chunk of wood then how is that misuse? I think if you broke the wedge by hitting the back of it with a sledge then that would be misuse... If you were using it to drive a steel wedge then that would be misuse...

Well I guess it's not misuse. They also don't cover accidental damage. I would say hitting the handle would be an accident since you're supposed to use the sharp part to hit the wood. Misuse could be argued because you shouldn't repeatedly be misjudging.

Anyway, I hope I'm wrong and my overzealous swings are covered in the warranty.

What kind of dog?

American Staffordshire Terrier. He's a shelter rescue. Man they tricked me. Wrote online and told us how he's sooo sweet, loving, gets along with cats, etc. His energy level is insane. I used to have American Bulldogs. Big strong dogs that can stand heat, cold, pain, etc. This guy is in another league. Never, ever gets tired from physical exercise, at least from what I've seen. Take him on 6 mile runs and he'll do sprints in the yard when we're done. If I don't take him for two walks everyday he loses his mind. He'll run around the house full speed with his butt about 2 inches off the floor, just like a cartoon character. Tongue hangs out and eyes bulging. He looks very much like Ed from the Lion King.

American Staffordshire Terrier. He's a shelter rescue. Man they tricked me. Wrote online and told us how he's sooo sweet, loving, gets along with cats, etc. His energy level is insane. I used to have American Bulldogs. Big strong dogs that can stand heat, cold, pain, etc. This guy is in another league. Never, ever gets tired from physical exercise, at least from what I've seen. Take him on 6 mile runs and he'll do sprints in the yard when we're done. If I don't take him for two walks everyday he loses his mind. He'll run around the house full speed with his butt about 2 inches off the floor, just like a cartoon character. Tongue hangs out and eyes bulging. He looks very much like Ed from the Lion King.
I love them dogs I had a great one, brindle huge head. Man talk about bite power he could hang on a rope a good while. Post a pic of the dog.

I love them dogs I had a great one, brindle huge head. Man talk about bite power he could hang on a rope a good while. Post a pic of the dog.

Yep, he has a massive head. I'm not sure if he feels pain. I made him a little toy in the yard. Tied a rope attached to a spring to a tree. Tied a burlap sack at the end of the rope so he could bite it. He'll bite it and have his feet dangling in the air. He whirls his body around with his tail wagging the whole time. I wish I easily amused like a dog.

On another note, I noticed you're a tree ID expert. Could I send you a pic of these rubber rounds in my yard? I may exclude them from my scrounge location if they're known to always be hard to split.

Yep, he has a massive head. I'm not sure if he feels pain. I made him a little toy in the yard. Tied a rope attached to a spring to a tree. Tied a burlap sack at the end of the rope so he could bite it. He'll bite it and have his feet dangling in the air. He whirls his body around with his tail wagging the whole time. I wish I easily amused like a dog.

On another note, I noticed you're a tree ID expert. Could I send you a pic of these rubber rounds in my yard? I may exclude them from my scrounge location if they're known to always be hard to split.
Sure get some pics of the bark the end grain then some split . Maybe its Gum is it real stringy?

Now I get it, Am Bull Staffs and Bulldogs cool!

Yep lol. I bought my ABs from Alan Scott, known as one of the fathers of the breed. Love those dogs. Really goofy and great with kids. They are able to switch on and off as the situation dictates. They do have an issue with flatulence though.

Yep lol. I bought my ABs from Alan Scott, known as one of the fathers of the breed. Love those dogs. Really goofy and great with kids. They are able to switch on and off as the situation dictates. They do have an issue with flatulence though.
Scott line eh. Sounds like a cool Staff though I like him.

aim small...hit small

Sure get some pics of the bark the end grain then some split . Maybe its Gum is it real stringy?

Okay I'll send tomorrow. Yeah it is. I sunk the Fiskars head into the side and thought I had it. Had to pull it out and couldn't get it to split anymore then that. Seems stringy but really light like poplar.

Latest posts

Back