Tell me about Axes....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've found the Fiskars won't split (with one whack) most of what I cut. Seriously, it won't split anything a single bit ax won't, although it does it with a bit more authority. I had high expectations also; reading what the "fans" post you get the idea it the next best thing to a Star Wars Light Saber. But the "reality" is, like any other tool, it has its purpose and use... no more than that. I actually believe it would be a better tool with a good hickory handle on it; but then they couldn't use the "lifetime" sales gimmick... and, of course, the head would need redesign. The cost of the thing (not that it's that much) must be mostly the handle anyway, 'cause the steel ain't all that great... too hard/brittle for a striking/cutting tool.

I use the "one-whack" theory when splittin' wood with ax or maul... if one won't do the job, I'm using the wrong tool (an occasional two whacks if the second is just to break the last few fibers or strings). The Fiskars is not effective on Burr Oak, Ash, Black Cheery, Hackberry, Hard Maple, and (straight) Red Elm... but the maul is. The Fiskars is effective on Silver Maple, White Cedar, Black Walnut (most of it), and standing-dead Pine... it does OK on a few of the others I mentioned after they've been halved or quartered by the maul.

Nothing but hydraulics is effective on American Elm... or, at least, I ain't found anything else. Heck, wedge 'n' sledge ain't even effective.
Some stuff just ain't worth tryin' to split with shoulder power.
Kind of interesting how a maul that weighs 2 more pounds or so could be much more effective vs the Fiskars. I would think you could make that difference up with strike speed. Perhaps I should have paid attention to your physics argument

Kind of interesting how a maul that weighs 2 more pounds or so could be much more effective vs the Fiskars. I would think you could make that difference up with strike speed. Perhaps I should have paid attention to your physics argument

Yes it can be made up with more speed.

Kind of interesting how a maul that weighs 2 more pounds or so could be much more effective vs the Fiskars. I would think you could make that difference up with strike speed.
Yes it can be made up with more speed.
But... you guys are assuming the lighter ax is being swung faster (or striking at a faster speed), which may, or may not, be true depending on the user.
There's a speed limit for the human entity... some guys may be faster than others, but it ain't infinite for anyone.
Of course I've never measured it... but, going on feel, I'm seriously doubting there's any difference in striking speed when I swing a 4# ax or 6# maul... and maybe a miniscule difference with an 8# maul. It may be further into the swing (longer time) before I reach maximum speed, but that doesn't change the striking speed.

Maybe my problem is I can't make up the difference in speed with the fiskars to make it more effective?
Maybe the heavier tool doesn't slow your swing (or striking speed)... which would nullify any "speed" advantage the lighter tool might gain.

But... you guys are assuming the lighter ax is being swung faster (or striking at a faster speed), which may, or may not, be true depending on the user.
There's a speed limit for the human entity... some guys may be faster than others, but it ain't infinite for anyone.
Of course I've never measured it... but, going on feel, I'm seriously doubting there's any difference in striking speed when I swing a 4# ax or 6# maul... and maybe a miniscule difference with an 8# maul. It may be further into the swing (longer time) before I reach maximum speed, but that doesn't change the striking speed.

Maybe the heavier tool doesn't slow your swing (or striking speed)... which would nullify any "speed" advantage the lighter tool might gain.
We need Myth Busters to settle this. It's opposite for me. I feel like I can swing that Fiskars faster than a wood handled maul. I also swing the maul a bit different. I think I keep the Fiskars more vertical

Maybe my problem is I can't make up the difference in speed with the fiskars to make it more effective?

There's a speed limit for the human entity.

Yes, there is a limit to how fast you can swing even with no weight. That is the reason for my advice to swing the heaviest tool you can swing fast, which will vary for everyone. I'd actually modify that based on how long you will be at it - I can swing an 8lb maul fast, but I can't do it for very long.

Of course, once the tool gets to the wood you still have the whole other half of the problem, which is translating the energy that got there into effective forces for breaking the wood fibers apart. What is required will vary with wood type, and different tool head profiles will work differently. This is really where all the complexity is, and all the experience comes in. The first part of swing velocity only determines how much energy you have to work with.

We need Myth Busters to settle this.
I think not... it's already been settled several times.
Google the speed of a baseball bat, golf club, or whatever... there's a point where decreasing weight of the object being swung, or building more muscle on the person doing the swinging, no longer increases the speed of the swing (it can even slow it some).

I think not... it's already been settled several times.
Google the speed of a baseball bat, golf club, or whatever... there's a point where decreasing weight of the object being swung, or building more muscle on the person doing the swinging, no longer increases the speed of the swing (it can even slow it some).
I was just thinking there's so many variables involved. Weight of the blade, weight of handle, balance, profile of head, swing characteristics, speed, etc. It would be interesting to see a scientific experiment to test the variables. Hope that makes sense, finance major here

That's how it works for me, I am much more able to increase my swing speed over whacking around with the anvil on a stick. I don't even bust 120 lbs, I have to rely on speed and technique and tool. And plus, the original supersplitter came stock about as sharp as sharp gets, teflon slick coating to reduce friction in the wood, plus a very good well thought out wedge head shape. La Bomba! The teflon is long wore off, I use a spray can of teflon spray on it now when I go for a splitting session. Heck, I use it on all the axes, helps bunches and is cheap, few bucks a can.

If I was a foot taller and 100 lbs more, most likely could swing the 8lb anvil on a stick just as fast. Boom! But I ain't, so I don't....

I was just thinking there's so many variables involved. Weight of the blade, weight of handle, balance, profile of head, swing characteristics, speed, etc. It would be interesting to see a scientific experiment to test the variables. Hope that makes sense, finance major here

Axe comparison plus good way to use the fiskars

Axe comparison plus good way to use the fiskars

Is it just me or do they use more boards stacked up with the competition's models vs the fiskars? Wouldn't using less boards give the axe more time to speed up?

Is it just me or do they use more boards stacked up with the competition's models vs the fiskars? Wouldn't using less boards give the axe more time to speed up?
The Fiskars people made the video - they are going to show their product in the best light. You could argue about a few things in it..

- The wood block slides down the Fiskars blade because it is steeper too? Is this related to splitting?
- Cutting paper is not the same as splitting wood - the same angle might not apply.
- Splitting pine (?) boards from the side is not the same as splitting oak rounds from the end.
- Etc.

But overall, it is pretty impressive and well produced. Especially the wood splitting fixutre, and handle durability parts of the video.

I like my Fiskars' splitting mauls based on trying them and using them. Lighter to carry, handle, and hold than other mauls or axes I have tried. They have held up and they split stuff pretty well. I am not offended if someone likes something else more.

Philbert

Yeah... I noticed that also.
Ten blocks for competitors #1 and #2, what appears to be eight for #3, and seven for the Fiskars. More stacked blocks also makes for more "give", or absorption of the blow. But it's a sales video (shrug)... it-is-what-it-is. If it didn't show the product it's advertizing as a better mouse trap... it would be a lousy sales video. I believe they call it marketing. Ya' know?? Selling the magic.
I always laughed at the one where the Chevy and Ford were hooked together in a tug-o-war (don't remember now who's advertizement that was).

Yeah... I noticed that also.
Ten blocks for competitors #1 and #2, what appears to be eight for #3, and seven for the Fiskars. More stacked blocks also makes for more "give", or absorption of the blow. But it's a sales video (shrug)... it-is-what-it-is. If it didn't show the product it's advertizing as a better mouse trap... it would be a lousy sales video. I believe they call it marketing. Ya' know?? Selling the magic.
I always laughed at the one where the Chevy and Ford were hooked together in a tug-o-war (don't remember now who's advertizement that was).

Bull ****! 3 more blocks for the heavier maul means it might of traveled 3" less than the Fiskar and yet it didnt manage to split 1 friggin' block. Despite that loss of travel, how come the extra momentum didnt help split anything? From a work standpoint, the Fiskar just kicked all their @sses.:laugh:

Latest posts

Back