Tell me about your McCulloch chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AGrig06

Addicted to Old Blue Smokin Two Strokes That Sing
Reaction score
I love the Pro Mac 10-10s so much that I'd love to hear about other 10-10s that eat the wood like hogs. They're torque monsters indeed 🪚
If anyone has a 10-10 or McCulloch chainsaw in general, tell me your thoughts and experiences! I'd love to hear em.

There are at least three dedicated McCulloch threads in the Chainsaw Stickies section. You may get more replies posting in one of those. The "unofficial Mac 10-10 thread" would be a good choice.

View attachment 955644

Mark
Wow! Very nice collection of Ss there! I painted the side cover of mine silver since I was out of yellow paint and it looks pretty good in my opinion. I'll send a pic

20220111_223421.jpg20220111_223426.jpg20220111_223435.jpg
Do I have a good MAC? I bought it for $212 a couple months ago, cleaned it up a bit, works and performs well, wood hog just like any other MAC. It's dirty now, I need to do the normal winter cleaning. The side cover is silver because I'm out of cub cadet paint. I personally think the chrome looks sexier on it 😍. If the paint looks flat, it's because its got sawdust all over it. That cherry makes good dust when dry. Usually the paint shines when cleaned 🧼🚰

Attachments

• 20220111_223421.jpg
    20220111_223421.jpg
    988.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220111_223426.jpg
    20220111_223426.jpg
    1,000.2 KB · Views: 9
I'll be playing this on the stereo more often
If you like that one, and are into the logging end of things, you should do a youtube search for him. Hes got a TON of songs about the lifestyle. Highline logger from the PNW, but he hits home with a bunch of his songs. The irony is, he got killed in a hunting accident and not in the woods logging

I think they're a great saw to have fun with, the McCullochs, but I wouldn't really use my Pro Mac for big jobs. It could do it, but the newer saws just perform and cool better than the ole yellers.

A tree service manager asked me for a loaner when his Stihl 210 went on the blink. He requested my Mac 3516 just to see how many tech advancements had been made since I bought it 17 years ago. He wanted to use it for branch removal from felled trees. When he brought it back he said, "Not much advancement in my book. That Mac saw performed great! Call me for a bid before you ever sell it."

my 610 doesn't oil very well. vacuum pump?
Does the oil port line up with the bar's inlet hole for oil? If it does, and before doing anything else, remove the bar and chain. Start the saw and see if oil flows out the port that lines up with the bar. Then report back to us, reporting everything that you did.

When I was a kid, growing up in central BC, Canada, the song I would hear every morning while eating breakfast was, the jingle,
"Yer in luck when you got a McCulloch chainsaw,
You got power by the hour in your hands,
With McCulloch, you're the master,
'Cus you keep a cuttin' faster,
Yer in luck when you got a McCulloch chainsaw."

The first logging camp I worked in (1957), used Macs, but my job was as a canter in the mill and part_time truck driver, so I didn't know the model number, or if they were all the same model . We were in some good sized first cut wood, so all the saws were equipped with a 36 inch bar.
It wasn't all good days, however, I can still remember one day, when one of the most experienced fallers was screaming at his saw, (like in a bad relationship) because it wouldn't start. I still chuckle when I think of it, because he was such a good mannered guy most of the time.
Bob

I just found the link for the jingle on youtube. I don't know if it can be posted, but I will give it a try. There are a bunch of McCulloch commercials from the 70s and 80s on youtube as well.

McCulloch chainsaw commercial.

Paul Newman made several movies in which he operated a McCulloch chain saw. The saddest one showed him trying desperately to save his buddy who was trapped by a huge rolling log in a river. It was an unforgettable scene and a tragedy. I saw this movie when it was released. I was still in college a the time. I believe it was entitled "Sometimes a Great Notion".

Paul Newman made several movies in which he operated a McCulloch chain saw. The saddest one showed him trying desperately to save his buddy who was trapped by a huge rolling log in a river. It was an unforgettable scene and a tragedy. I saw this movie when it was released. I was still in college a the time. I believe it was entitled "Sometimes a Great Notion".
that movie was filmed near Reedsport Oregon, about 20 minutes from my hometown, North Bend. it was a big deal when it opened in the local theater.

Back