tellus ehp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony marks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
okay ,,i know others probably know.
but from what i hear u live NORTH
of most on the forum.. u profile says miner and engine builder..
so would u mind giving us a little more info,,as it sounds interesting..
dont want to be gettin in u buisiness,,
but u have lived long enough this ought to be interestin... i tried to email but my puter dont pay much attention to me anymore.. its old like me..:)

Well here we go.
First i live in a small town called Eagle Lake . The hill in front of the house is the divide for the water shed, you know where the water runs to on one side to the great lakes and the otherside go to james bay. Last winter are coldest day was 54 below 0.
So we are quite high in the air here for beening in Ontario.
You can be 20 minutes in any direction and be alot warmer than here. I work now in a open pit mine that mines white rock for
<are you ready for this> chickens are turkeys to eat .We ship rock that mostly has been bagged all over .This year we will pass 4 million pounds, not to bad for only 2 guys .There use to be 18 guys . When i came out of high shcool i went and got my tickets
in log scaling because that was what the old man wanted. So now i am a logger up till 4 years ago.They <the gov.> has got
it so screwed up here now that we quite logging . They have the right to tell you what tree you can or cannot cut on your own land.
We logged our own land 99% of the time .But i have to say i like working in the bush alot more than i am doing now.
Now on motors , i guess i get that from the old man. He use to drag race bikes back when jesus was a cowboy. Have you ever seen a 1947 indian destroked with twin tubro's on it , stuff like that. Myself never got into the bikes but did get into snowmobiles big time .We made the big time in 1976 when we went factory racing for Mercury , the snow twister .We wre doing good until skidoo came out with there secret weapon so we put nitrous on that same winter. So being logger it was just normal to see if your saw was faster than mine so that is where we are today

well sounds like u are old school...
which is where my roots are although my school was warmer..:) thanks for the story tm

Well i am not sure if i am old school or not but i am 40 years old somedays feel like 100 years old.
As for saw racing ,i started racing in the big shows at the end of 1996 . Idid the last 2 shows of the year .I had got my marcel made 272 and won them both in 0-5 cu and open mod .
They were both 8 by 8 shows so a small saw can win. Then in the winter marcel made me a 3120 stroker muffler saw and we won alot of shows amost everyone that we went to but like everything else when you are not known they want you to come but once you kick there butt enough times you better say home
The last 2 years i have not been racing alot because of work and it takes all my time building for other guys.But this year they know i am going full time balls to the wall , take no prisoners.
I have 3 saws here that only one person has seen run and it is not going to be fair for the rest of them. It is that i am smart because i know i am almost normal but i will take alot more wild ideas into a saw so i guess you can say i donot take the easy road because that gets boring. The idea of a one cut i kind of like in big wood , it would be different and i know i would have to change somestuff but i think i can handle that

Nope
To my thinking i believe there are 5 eagle lake in ontario but i am in the central ontario

Honestly
I feel that i could make my saws hotter , i will be only running for a shorter time with one cut so i know i could load the saw up and go hard through the cut before i run out of fuel, your wood must be different because it seems to be taken alot of power to cut.
Idid one saw that went to a 20 inch show no stroker and it set the state record 9.14 sec. cold start 3 cuts . Now i it was me i would of had a stroker plus one cut it would be 2.3 to 2.5 seconds in our wood here , popular wood would be 2.7 seconds and if it was soft it would be faster.I know most people would not believe but i run a bigger gear in big wood than i do in small wood. This only what i believe and have found to be true with my saws , on big wood the cutters can only cut so much wood before they are full and just skate the rest of the way a cross the block so i gear up and do not cut my rackers so much and it works for me. Now for gearing i run a 12 tooth in 12inch wood or 8 by 8
,now i used a 13 tooth in bigger wood . So far i have not seen the need for a 14 tooth but i will try them on the big bore saws. What i mean by hotter is if i know that a saw will run for 6 seconds before it runs out of fuel with that kind of pipe ,i would make the pipe run hotter and more rpm's .

But that is in my wood Tom . I have never cut your wood so i donot know for sure . The only wood so far that we missed the boat was sweet gum ,never seen it before so when one of the guys went down there he was in for a rude deal. He placed well in the stock app. classes and won the open chainsaw but is was nothing like he thought it was going to be. In the stocksaw being your own chain he was so far out of first he was not sure he was in the building
It was a lesson for sure

ehp if u think gum saws bad .. hit it with a splitin axe .. be sure an wear a football hellmet tho. u will need it,,as the gum will sling the axe back at u at double speed. :)

on my 2100 i run a 11 tooth also because of the rpm it will not run a 12 any faster so that means that 041 is yours that Melvin runs . Fast saw, i guess they are going to have a 0- 5 cu stockapp. again in Webster but like last year not many showed , to many rumours about stuff that you cound not run like handles and no holes in the covers so most just left there saws home
Melvin won the show to, Jerry was second.
But my 3120 strokers have alot more power than my 2100 so i need to gear up. The 2100 has more rpm's so in small wood they are as good as any here but in 12 inch or up they are behind
On sweet gum i still have not seen it and have some idea now on who to file for it but i know i need to go there and try to figure it out if we are going back because if we donot figure it out we are going to get our ass kick
I have some of the 19 inch stihl series wood here from last year so i have been playing in that size some but there wood from the series is alot different than our pine here to , our pine is harder mainly because it is twice as old for the same size, wood here goes alot slower .

Winnfield Trip

Tom, we had a little trouble with the sweet gum too. But the gearing factor was more of the problem than the chain not cutting, in the end. Also, those guys in Winnfield run and cut real well, so its not and easy place to win at. With your help, Melvin has taken their money quite a few times. Our trip was just more "fun" than winning money, but good times had by all. 3 days out and 3 days back! Here's a picture of us on the return trip in a freak snow storm in New Mexico. Dennis

I think i would like to come out and try to cut your big wood
It most likely would be a learning curve for me but i like that.
You never know i could have the biggest fire ball you guys have ever seen when the rod breaks but that is half the fun now right.
I would like to try otherthings because it is the same here all the time and you get bored . I do like shows like Sennertre Quebec ,
you cut 14 inch in the 140cc class and 16 inch in the open.
in the 140 class the wood is big enough to show who has power and in 16 inch a saw does have a small change against the bikes.

last time i was there i won the 0-74 class 0-140 class and got second in the open Gaston got me with his 250

yes i would have to say Melvin is the man there. From what i have been told you need to run a high racker , they told me around .019 for height and the same gear as we were running.
We were really misinformed . Marcel and Paul Cogar told us that you need a low racker so the chains i sent were real low , they said sweet gum was like cedar here well guess what it is not and he was lucky to get out of there as well as he did. He said his eyes were watering when he was done. I think they were just playing with us trying to make fools out of us boy they almost did

ehp, the way it's worked for me when you go someplace new is, you get your ass kicked the first time just from not knowing there ways of doing things. Not always, but your in a learning process. If you don't do better the 2nd time, your not learning very well. Knowing how to change things is real important. We film are cuts. That helps you understand things faster also! Most of the time, your your own worst enemy. Trying too hard, making mistakes cutting, trying to go to fast, ect. You would do just fine out here ED, but maybe even better the 2nd time. 5 or 6 classes of cold start racing is alway been fun for me, but I know what you mean about trying new things. Dennis

Like i always believe there is always a faster wristwatch being built around the corner so keep your eyes open .

Tom, try not to confuse these guys with that different, one angle cuts all theroy. If that good cutting chain cuts any kind of wood idea gets out, these guys will stop trying to find that good cutting chain. Besides that I'm getting confused myself, which way do you stone that chain again!! I'll figure it out, at least before Gyho does. Hell, he still round files. ahahahahahah Dennis

Solo's yeah!

Now don't forget about my 5cu Solo. That 690, I mean 680 will run with any of those 056AV"s. Ed what do you run in the 5cu class. Dennis

Tom, the only one that will believe you on that one is Melvin Lentz. He's the big grinder man. Dennis

Yes i have talked to adrain , he is a good guy to , he told me on what to do but do i ever do what i am told , we will see.
I have got 3 shows up here that same weekend now , it is getting insane up here for shows now , there is 2 to 5 every weekend if you want to drive. Now on my 5 cu , it is a 272 with a stroker crank in it with my own carb, this is the new saw my old saw is a 281 , wide skirt piston 3120 carb 11 tooth gear
it ran 5.14 seconds in 8 by 8 5 cuts 8 inches of wood cold start on muffler that was the winning time by over 1,6 seconds to second. on pipe it cut 2.71 3 cuts in 8 by 8 4.46 in 12 inch round all 3 cuts cold start. Now that is all i can get from it now because evertime i try to make more power i break the crank.
The crank always breaks when you are between cuts on the flywheel side. So i figuired ithe 272 would do the same so i made a very light flywheel and have not broke any cranks yet. This saw has not been raced in a show yet but will be on the first saturday in feb. at a 8 by 8 show. I now lighten ever flywheel on saws that i build and yes the 346 got the treatment as well.
As far as the chain grinder goes , i sent one of my hand filed chains to silvey to show them what i wanted, they laughed at me saying that it would not cut sh#t bacause of the angles i use,so i told them to make me there best chain and i would but them on a 3210 stroker and time them . I sent them the video , they were not impressed by there times it was not close . But i thought that a grinder should be as good as i can file by hand. They made me a great deal on a pro sharp and a 510 so i bought it. the pro sharp is the same grinder that Melvin uses

Now i have spent quite abit of time on the grinder, i had to modified the side and build a new base for it, you know the part that turns so you can grind either side of the chain. i am happy now with the way it grinds, i am not going to say it is as good or close to what you guys are filing but it all i got and is what we are using

Latest posts

Back