Testing chainsaw protective pants?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fishhuntcutwood

fishhuntcutwood

Full wraps and long bars!!!!!!!!!
From IN, stationed in Port Angeles, WA, but AK is
smokechase II said:
A few thoughts on chaps.

The video states at the start that these are field tests only.
To do a proper testing a device must be made that will apply consistent pressure and chain speed. Chains resharpened in between each test and so forth. {The video showed at least a respectable 12,200 rpm's}

How you sharpen your saw and what type of chain you run are also big deals.

Please note that no chap manufacturer has ever guaranteed their product to stop a saw. View your chaps as a great idea, like a seat belt - air bags - hard hat, but by no means a guarantee. Wear them always, but always have a functioning chain brake and always watch that tip and your thumbs etc.

Yes, with any cut that cuts more than a strand or two of the protective fabric, the chaps must be retired. A great use you can give those retired chaps is to finish your tailgate safety with a demo. Attach the old chaps to a log and have your best sawyer lay into them.

One thing you may note is that if you fasten the chaps loosely, the saw will rotate them exposing unprotected log(leg). So if an operator is not wearing a full leg, (360 degree coverage), the fastening of chaps snuggly is critical.

Additionally no repair can be made that sews through the chaps layers. If the layers are held down and not allowed to float freely, the can be cut through easily and are less likely to hold together long enough to jam a sprocket.
Dirty chaps are also a problem. If you have chaps that are soaked in bar oil/grease, be aware that will also hold together the fabric similar to sewing and they are cut through easier in testing.
But don't clean with a detergent with chlorine. Chlorine weakens Kevlar badly.

Now having said all that. The heavier first pair of Labonville chaps sure look like something I'd want on my newer employees. If not everyone.

Ditto. Excellent post. Keep 'em clean, and don't rely on them to save your life. It says right on both of my pairs that they're not meant to eliminate injury, but only to reduce it. I'd rather have a 1" deep gash than a 5" deep gash. But I'd prefer to watch myself and not have a gash at all.

Haywire Haywood

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
This has me thinking. I bought my chaps at the Husky dealer going on 10 years ago. What do you suppose they're made of. I never thought about it before.

Ian

aquan8tor

aquan8tor

ArboristSite Guru
Haywire Haywood said:
This has me thinking. I bought my chaps at the Husky dealer going on 10 years ago. What do you suppose they're made of. I never thought about it before.

Ian

Probably kevlar/polyester like the others in the test. It would lead me to believe, as a result of the tests, and specifically the test and explanation of older kevlar material, that older chaps don't protect nearly as well as newer designed chaps.

deezulsmoke

deezulsmoke

ArboristSite Operative
Smokechase I think you made an excellent point that they failed to mention with the chaps and rotation if they are not applied tightly to the leg, I actually never thought about that until you mentioned it. Learned more in your post than from the video. I didn't think they would work, but I watched a stihl rep drop a 660 wide open on a pair and it locked it up immediately. I have been using a chainsaw since I was about 15 yrs old and I have never gotten hurt, had some close calls though. After watching that video though, I am definately going to be investing in some chaps.

blis

Addicted to ArboristSite
deezulsmoke said:
Smokechase I think you made an excellent point that they failed to mention with the chaps and rotation if they are not applied tightly to the leg, I actually never thought about that until you mentioned it. Learned more in your post than from the video. I didn't think they would work, but I watched a stihl rep drop a 660 wide open on a pair and it locked it up immediately. I have been using a chainsaw since I was about 15 yrs old and I have never gotten hurt, had some close calls though. After watching that video though, I am definately going to be investing in some chaps.

thats why pants are superior to chaps + theyl warm you up nicely in cold weather and keep that sweat flowing on +0c temps :hmm3grin2orange:

smokechase II

smokechase II

Addicted to ArboristSite
Don't know

I don't know that much about the ratings currently.

I'm a Forest Service employee, not involved in the testing we do, but somewhat familiar with it.

The Forest Service does not have the funding to do yearly testing and it has been a few years since we have tested.

The video on this thread is interesting enough that I'm going to forward it today to a couple guys that have been involved in chaps testing over the years in Missoula Montana.

We used to teach that the FS Chaps were as good as any. It might well be that industry has passed us by.

What the Forest Service did was:
1) Consistently test utilizing a machine mounted saw that applied consistent pressure.
2) Used the same saw over and over. A Husky 266 at warp three.
3) I cannot recall what type of chain was used, but they did touch up between each test.

The FS testing emphasized chain speed, not torque. That seems correct to me. But for some reason that drew quite a few industry complaints.

There are obviously several other testing operations going on out there. A general rule is that Europe is tougher on saw emissions and vibration then we are so I suspect that Euro testing of chaps may be very good. I don't have a site to go to for that info. But will start searching. Tonight I'll email SawTroll and others for suggestions on where to go.

To the reader out there with Still or Husky or FS or similar chaps in good condition, I wouldn't worry about this. Mostly I'd just be studying this issue for my next chaps purchase. Possible exception, in two weeks you figure out what you want and you buy a couple pair to go on your newer employees. Especially if this will help you retire a couple older pair that are nicked up a bit.

All the best.

By the way, the Forest Service has only had a couple instances where chaps were spun, (on too loose), or cut through miss repaired ones to the point of tearing flesh. Plus only two more instances where sawyers cut the back of their calves because FS chaps don't completely wrap and I think you could have some confidence in most chaps. With it seeming that the higher end chaps from industry now are quite possibly better, be of good cheer.

Bearclaw

Bearclaw

ArboristSite Member
As far as the quality of older chaps... I don't know just guessing, but the older materials might not be as high of quality or well built as newer chaps (as stated already) but after years of use, the threads inside could part and leave gaps in protection. As I understand the threads are loose and that slack is what stops the saw, so over time they could bunch or the individual strands could break and fall to one side or the other.

No science here, just a theory...