Testing chainsaw protective pants?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
poor ham

poor pigy. seriously this video reminds me of the not so smart guy i put in body bag a few years back. the fire wood cutter i put in the body bag cut the femoral artery . the saw bound in in a limb and came full force right threw his right thigh. let just say shredded meat special from the saw chain contact. SO WEAR THE BEST CHAPS YOU CAN BUY :bowdown:

aquan8tor said:
sorry, let me rephrase that. In the link I posted, the chaps tested said labonville on them, I think. I could be wrong. I thought each chap tested had a ham under it to simulate human tissue.

Ah, yes that makes sense. In that video (where they state it's a ham) I wouldn't want to be wearing those green chaps, not a nice ending at all. Ouch! The labonville chaps they test seemed to do a fine job.

In the other video, from labonville's site, they don't state what's under the chaps but it looked like it might be leg-sized round of wood. None of the chaps in that video did *too* badly IMO, but why not get the best.

I finally got it to work, saving it like you said. I was trying to open it with WMP before. Quicktime worked fine. I'm a little worried about my chaps now, though........don't know who makes them. I'll be calling tomorrow to speak to someone about it. I want my money back!!!

Don't cut when tired...

In over thirty years I have only once had a mishap. Many years ago I cut into the toe portion of a pair of safety boots. They did protect my foot.

Then...two years ago I purchased my first pair of chaps. Have nipped them twice in almost the same place, (left thigh). Both times it was when I was tired...OH :censored: !

Both times they stopped the chain before it bit my leg.:)

I think some of you are "freaking" out.

Yes, they did cut through...Watch the video again. There is a nick in the undersides of all the other ones..

They did their job. You would have a cut on your leg that was not deep and probably would not require stiches.

Now, try that test with jeans..You lost your leg, or bled out. Either way=not good.

Yeah the chaps got cut, but they stopped the saw with minimal injuries...Did just what they are designed to.

Besides, you gotta do a lot to take a full bar shot to the leg like that Ham did....

Just food for thought, no pissing matches needed (or intended).

Be safe

don't you have to replace them after each mishap? I thought that part of how they worked was that the fibers pull out & stop the chain. Wouldn't there be less fibers left to stop the chain after the first incident?

Freakingstang said:
I think some of you are "freaking" out.

Yes, they did cut through...Watch the video again. There is a nick in the undersides of all the other ones..

They did their job. You would have a cut on your leg that was not deep and probably would not require stiches.

Now, try that test with jeans..You lost your leg, or bled out. Either way=not good.

Yeah the chaps got cut, but they stopped the saw with minimal injuries...Did just what they are designed to.

Besides, you gotta do a lot to take a full bar shot to the leg like that Ham did....

Just food for thought, no pissing matches needed (or intended).

Be safe

wasn't trying to get in a match, although I have a habit of letting my redhead temper get into my debates from time to time...... :angry: :sword:

I think I'll keep the chaps I have, since they're already broken in with lots of sweat, a little (unrelated) blood, and some tears (maybe, but I won't admit it in person).

Don't know. They weren't part of either test. FWIW, there are several companies that sell green safety chaps, however. And, they're all similar color green. In the video where the chaps were cut clean through, they mentioned they were several years old. Perhaps this plays a factor into how well they stop the chain--how well they separate from the rest of the fabric matrix based on how compacted the fibers are, how oil soaked maybe, I don't know. I'm not a ballistic fiber expert. Maybe someone else will chime in here who is an engineer.

also, I just noticed that the pants in question are the only ones other than the labonville 6ply chaps that are Class "A" rated. All the other chaps that I see from Bailey's are class B. Don't know what that means. I'm not saying any chaps are better than others, no matter whether they are green chaps from Bailey's, green chaps from Labonville, green chaps from joe schmoe...I just read the fine print at the bottom of the pictures....

I wonder if that 2 layer kevlar is a misprint.
It says this. Meets BNQ/CUL Class A standards CAN-BNQ 1923-450-M91 and U.L Approved.

And I'll tell ya they are thick and heavy.

:help:

I think I just figured out the class A/B ratings. The pants and the labonville chaps have protection on the back of the calf all the way to the ankle. I could be wrong, and haven't read any OSHA or UL ratings, so DON'T QUOTE ME on that one! :) as for what happened with timberrat's buddy, that is really horrible. I'm so sorry. My father years ago cut into the tip of his boot when cutting firewood from a kickback. I think that was the day he got rid of the little red homelite superEZ for a stihl with quickstop. I wear steel toe boots; I should get kevlar, but I'm pretty careful and I'm not cutting much firewood this year.

i'm glad i didn't see the video before i got my first saw, i might have bought a gas fire instead. i always give my saw respect when i'm using it , but i think now i'll call it "SIR" as well.

mav

Nice avatar, considering the subject matter. I'm far less experienced than most here, but I definitely give my saw the respect it commands when cutting anything.

Sidenote edit: gas fires suck. Dad just took out the woodstove for an LP insert this year. It doesn't get anywhere close to as warm as the JOTUL with a catalytic converter on it. You couldn't sit within 10 feet of that thing when it was really cranking.

aquan8tor said:
I think I just figured out the class A/B ratings. The pants and the labonville chaps have protection on the back of the calf all the way to the ankle. I could be wrong, and haven't read any OSHA or UL ratings, so DON'T QUOTE ME on that one! :) as for what happened with timberrat's buddy, that is really horrible. I'm so sorry. My father years ago cut into the tip of his boot when cutting firewood from a kickback. I think that was the day he got rid of the little red homelite superEZ for a stihl with quickstop. I wear steel toe boots; I should get kevlar, but I'm pretty careful and I'm not cutting much firewood this year.

dont worry, steeltoed boots are plenty, no need to get kevlar ones...

oh btw, i believe that the a/b/(c?) rating means the chainspeed its certed to if i remember right...

chaps testing

A few thoughts on chaps.

The video states at the start that these are field tests only.
To do a proper testing a device must be made that will apply consistent pressure and chain speed. Chains resharpened in between each test and so forth. {The video showed at least a respectable 12,200 rpm's}

How you sharpen your saw and what type of chain you run are also big deals.

Please note that no chap manufacturer has ever guaranteed their product to stop a saw. View your chaps as a great idea, like a seat belt - air bags - hard hat, but by no means a guarantee. Wear them always, but always have a functioning chain brake and always watch that tip and your thumbs etc.

Yes, with any cut that cuts more than a strand or two of the protective fabric, the chaps must be retired. A great use you can give those retired chaps is to finish your tailgate safety with a demo. Attach the old chaps to a log and have your best sawyer lay into them.

One thing you may note is that if you fasten the chaps loosely, the saw will rotate them exposing unprotected log(leg). So if an operator is not wearing a full leg, (360 degree coverage), the fastening of chaps snuggly is critical.

Additionally no repair can be made that sews through the chaps layers. If the layers are held down and not allowed to float freely, the can be cut through easily and are less likely to hold together long enough to jam a sprocket.
Dirty chaps are also a problem. If you have chaps that are soaked in bar oil/grease, be aware that will also hold together the fabric similar to sewing and they are cut through easier in testing.
But don't clean with a detergent with chlorine. Chlorine weakens Kevlar badly.

Now having said all that. The heavier first pair of Labonville chaps sure look like something I'd want on my newer employees. If not everyone.

chap demo

Just for grins;

When doing that chap demo strapped to a log. Tape a few ketchup packets to the underside.

smokechase II said:
A few thoughts on chaps.

The video states at the start that these are field tests only.
To do a proper testing a device must be made that will apply consistent pressure and chain speed. Chains resharpened in between each test and so forth. {The video showed at least a respectable 12,200 rpm's}

How you sharpen your saw and what type of chain you run are also big deals.

Please note that no chap manufacturer has ever guaranteed their product to stop a saw. View your chaps as a great idea, like a seat belt - air bags - hard hat, but by no means a guarantee. Wear them always, but always have a functioning chain brake and always watch that tip and your thumbs etc.

Yes, with any cut that cuts more than a strand or two of the protective fabric, the chaps must be retired. A great use you can give those retired chaps is to finish your tailgate safety with a demo. Attach the old chaps to a log and have your best sawyer lay into them.

One thing you may note is that if you fasten the chaps loosely, the saw will rotate them exposing unprotected log(leg). So if an operator is not wearing a full leg, (360 degree coverage), the fastening of chaps snuggly is critical.

Additionally no repair can be made that sews through the chaps layers. If the layers are held down and not allowed to float freely, the can be cut through easily and are less likely to hold together long enough to jam a sprocket.
Dirty chaps are also a problem. If you have chaps that are soaked in bar oil/grease, be aware that will also hold together the fabric similar to sewing and they are cut through easier in testing.
But don't clean with a detergent with chlorine. Chlorine weakens Kevlar badly.

Now having said all that. The heavier first pair of Labonville chaps sure look like something I'd want on my newer employees. If not everyone.

Learned more in your post than in either video, or listening to dad for years telling me about chainsaw injuries he saw in med school.

Latest posts

Back