Thank you to all and Merry Christmas to me

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svon89

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have worked with guys in the past that rarely ever used PPE. I usually just wore a pair of carhart loggers that were double thick, boots, and sometimes hearing protection. But after being on this forum long enough, I took the initiative and got myself a set of chaps and a full helmet with face screen and hearing protection. I now realize how stupid I was, but I was around pros that never seemed to wear it, yada yada yada.

This forum opened my eyes and from now on I am going to be wearing PPE for everything. Thanks for being a great group and stressing the PPE.

Stephen

This forum opened my eyes and from now on I am going to be wearing PPE for everything. Thanks for being a great group and stressing the PPE.

Stephen

You are wise! I believe that many serious injuries have been prevented due to this site. Thanks to all for sharing their knowledge and experience to encourage safety!

Its good that you have learned early the need for protective gear. I wish I had been more dilligent in my younger years, i wouldnt be paying the price now.Lack of hearing protection has left me hard of hearing,saw through my knee 10 years back took a good bit of cartilage with it and leaves me with a very "loose" feeling joint.Scars on my right eyeball that will never heal.
Sad to say, old habits are hard to break, I still find myself at the trunk with a saw in hand and no hearing or eye protection. Last week I had a couple of trees to take down,and because of the situation I had every last stitch of PPE on and felt rather uncomfortable.

Everytime I go to a new doctor I have a lot of explaining to do when the shirt comes off.The first question is,"what happened to you?":cry:

Excellent, good for you !! PPE is very much needed. I am from the old school, didn't use any PPE back in the day, but I wished I had, maybe I could hear now. I was lucky, never received any bad injuries, but a lot of the guys I cut with did.
We were so stupid back then, lol.

I bought some chaps last year because of this site....I have always worn earplugs, steel toe and safety glasses at the least.

The chaps would be wore "most" of the time....until I was doing some cutting on thanksgiving weekend this year...doing some brushing etc....

No chaps and I let the saw swing down to the left to move some brush...brand new chain.... Luckily I didn't even get scratched!!!!! Chaps went on instantly and are worn EVERYTIME now...

11-30-09002.jpg

A few years ago I was sitting at the bar next to a guy with his leg all bandaged up, I started talking to him to see what happened. Turns out he was a local professional logger, wasn't wearing his chaps 110 stitches in his leg. Don't think it can't happen to you.

All of these are perfect examples of why I decided to get the ppe. I do have to say it was nice cutting today knowing that I was at least saving my hearing, and if I ever actually need the rest of it, I am that much better off. Sort of like insurance, you hope you never need it, but there just in case. Besides all of the PPE still cost less than the copay at the ER.

Stephen

Most of 'em never seen a guy with five nipples before

That, honestly, made me laugh out loud here. Line of the day!

Talking about PPE, I'm trying on my new boots right now...pair of leather fireman's boats that were discontinued and they were selling off the remaining stock for half price. Rated structural + wildland w/ chainsaw protection. Not active on the fire company right now so I guess these just count as chainsaw PPE, my 10+ year old fire leathers had seen better days.

Trivia about nipples:

Did you ever wonder how biologists determine whether to classify a critter as a mouse or rat?

Mice have five pairs of nipples; rats have six pairs.

A man who conducted a defensive driving course always said, "Seconds for safety." You take those few seconds to buckle up or put that stuff on, you'll be well ahead of the game.

Back