Thanks a bunch!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrethegiant70

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
First off, thanks a bunch! You guys have helped me a TON! With a little tinkering, the ancient 041 Farm Boss I bought off EBAY has paid for itself many times over which, of course, quickly cleared up any and all looming domestic disputes. Tough saw, blows right through big old juniper without a hitch. Carb job is next, just to get it to idle a little more consistently, but it goes like hell as is. The filing jig is also worth it's weight in gold and presents a fairly pleasant way to let the arm burn abate.

So.. the next project! I have a lot of fencing to build along with a shed and a greenhouse... I have an old Mac 550 (100cc) coming which "runs like a champ" (allegedly) and I have in mind to do some small diameter milling with it. I think I have most of my ducks lined up on the milling end, but I don't know much about the saw other than its a pretty decent candidate for milling..... slow, torqey, large displacement, and at 65 bucks, no big deal if it doesn't work out (oh, did I mention heavy?.. I mean, like 27 pounds heavy!.. How in gods name did folks carry these old beasts around?!)

Looking for some some advice on what type of go-juice to put in the thing. Best oil? Best Ratio? Thanks guys!!

Old beasts,pshaw

Try the business end of a Mall model 7 sometime,now that's heavy.These old dawgs were in use when I was a teenager,and yes ,they are a bit weighty.They run just fine on 32 to 1 mix.The actual listed powerhead weight is 21.5 lbs,which is a tad less than a sp 125,so the bar and chain would up it to that weight.Good luck with it,keep us posted.

Thanks, Al.

Thanks Al! Does the brand matter (gotta be McCullhoch?) DO say hello to Ohio for me.. moved recently from Lakewood.

What oil?It's sometimes a big point of discussion,but I've used about every brand made,with regular gasoline.There is probabley some merit in the synthetics,but I really can't tell other than people's opinion,which varies.There also could be some merit in running hi test gas.Then again,I can't make that call because I've never done it.A couple of old buddies that ran gas karts,back in the day,ran aviation grade gas,but I've never tried that one either.

I'll explain the reasoning behind my choices:

I used to run Husky or Stihl or Echo or whatever OEM oil I could find @ 40-50:1. Just whatever the bottle I grabbed was meant for. Cylinder inspections through the exhaust port showed a bit of carbon and general nastiness which I considered normal at the time. Some spooge in the muffler. I switched to MX2T(now Racing 2T) on the advice of several AS members, and after retuning, noticed an immediate smoothing and more willingness to rev. The only smoke I get is a brief white puff on a cold startup. Cylinder inspections show clean running.

Burning regular gas, my equipment ran rougher(especially at idle), started harder, and ran warmer, when compared to running premium gas. Both fuels were using OEM oils. Regular gas around here has 10% methanol, not sure what difference that makes.

Avgas(100LL) wasn't worth the cost. My saws lost top end power, although I never did try it in the 795. Others have reported cooler running in a milling application with a big low-rev saw burning 100LL.

Lemme get this straight, Al

Al , let me see if I understand you.. you run MX2T in ALL your saws? If so, I'm in!! It'd be much nicer to buy ONE brand of oil for my machines, especially if it improves performance and longevity. Thanks for the advice.. very hard to find info on these old (ok, oldER) saws.

Latest posts

Back