That's a big stump.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam.coots

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
709139470e3d7118a1cd90ef1055a703.jpg

I thought it was interesting for a stump from a tree that was alive 6 months ago to come out of ground so easy without massive equipment. 41 hp tractor. About 31" diameter according to tape measure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wasn't there a tap root? All I see are runners (surface roots), that's really unusual. It looks like it put up a little fight, but in the end, man 1, tree 0.

Dave6390 in WI

going to a house am,,to work on a water flow problem. there USED to be,,a wayyyyy tall ash, across the street, and the owners must have gotten scared.......it was def alive last time I seen it 1 yr ago...just over 5 1/2 feet at the base.................and they left a 2 1/2 foot tall stump!!!!!!

Wasn't there a tap root? All I see are runners (surface roots), that's really unusual. It looks like it put up a little fight, but in the end, man 1, tree 0.

Dave6390 in WI
I am far from a tree expert. As far as I can tell either this oak split into two trees at ground level when it was a little acorn. And then broke when it got too big. Or there were two oaks that grew right next to each other. The other "half" of this tree basically same size is still standing. But I don't know if it has all its roots. Might get another big oak. I don't like seeing big oaks go down. But they burn so nice. Gonna have to start warming up wife to a bigger saw if I find some more "big" trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great for heat, don't know about the wife, though! You may need more than firewood to get them to warn up to us guys buying new toys! Laughing Out Loud! In a sinister voice!!!

Dave6390 in WI

Hey olyman! A tree that size could definitely add to a water problem, what kind of soil do you have there ?

Dave6390 in WI

Red Oak a few years was tipped over in a windstorm. 56" or so across right above the root flare. No tap root, lots of surface feeders. It was growing in sandy soil, high water table area.

How old? I have no idea, it's still sitting in the woods, all I did was cut the rootball off and let it flop back into the hole. 36' to the first branch, and the tree was 31" or 32" across right below the first branch......

I've worked up lots of big oak blow downs, there is a tremendous amount of wood in them. But to do big trees you need the tools to work them up safely and efficiently. In my case a Stihl 660 with a 36" bar and many other saws along with can't hooks, wedges and a loader tractor. Here's one from last year
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443698118.543939.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve
Lincoln IdealArc 250
Lincoln SA200 1966 Redface

Not to burst your bubble or anything but that's average around here.
I just nooddled up a 50" pecan tree yesterday.:dancing:
Red oak
11rakw7.jpg

34t8zef.jpg

Stihl MS290 and a 20" bar took care of it.

oily smoke man that's a big tree. I have seen where some people cut a slab off and turn it into a coffee table or something else. That would be pretty all varnished up man... do you noodle it up to small sections for splitting or do you do something else to work it up? Nice tree.

oily smoke man that's a big tree. I have seen where some people cut a slab off and turn it into a coffee table or something else. That would be pretty all varnished up man... do you noodle it up to small sections for splitting or do you do something else to work it up? Nice tree.

I have made a few tables out of some nice stump flairs, but I lack the forklift to move and load them.

This is a pecan stump from that 50" tree.
It has some very nice spurs all the way around and the bottom is probably 70" and about 2 feet thick.
Sorry for the night shot. It looks much better in the day.
2zfitjs.jpg

21lj09h.jpg

2zfitjs.jpg

34qr05i.jpg

My wood comes from tree company's that I let dump for free. Most of the small stuff get run through the chipper.
And yes a ms290 will handle a chunk that size.
It's simple. Cut down one side and then move to the other.
If I have a portion in the middle that didn't get cut.
Then I move to the end of the log and slice from there.
Thats where a 660 with a 4' bar would come in handy, by making one cut and keeping the cut flat.
With a shorter bar I have to work it from both sides and sometimes it's hard the get a fairly flat top.

I wish I had a heavy duty floor sander to finish the top nice and flat.

I cant find the photos of the finished ones I sold. There archived somewhere.

Ya know if you did try to sand that some and pour the finish to it that would make a great coffee table for a hunting camp. I bet here on the coast of Maine say in Bar Harbor in June that would sell for $1,000.00 easy. The issue then is getting it loaded into the guys Prius.

Latest posts

Back