THAT'S Not Happenin'!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyboy553

Oakaholic
Reaction score
Drove out to my wood lot yesterday just to see how many new blowdowns were there since I had not been out there for a while. Was also thinking it is getting to be time to get cutting again.

Upon entering the woods my truck was attacked by deer flies. Thousands of 'em! I had to turn my wipers on just to see out the windshield! No way in God's creation am I going out cutting when those pesky buggers are that thick! And mosquito's! We have had oodles of rain here which makes for an over abundance of skeeters!

The Metropolitan Mosquito Control District (yes, we have that here! lol) puts traps out to monitor the skeeter population. In traps that normally get around 700 skeeters, they are getting 14 to 1500!

So, with the deer flies, skeeters, wood ticks, deer ticks, brambles, poison ivy, heat, humugity and all the other pestulence that abound, I think I can just wait another month or so before I head out to that wood lot!

It's a darn good thing we have cold snowy winters here in Minnesota, or I would have to find a different hobby for sure!

Ted

It always cracks me up when the folks complain about too many mosquitos because we didn't have a cold enough winter.Well, I can assure them a mild Minnesota winter is colder than a cold Louisiana winter and yall still have too many skeeters.Thermacells work if you really need to get out there with them.

These things really do work on the deerflies. Deerfly Patches

We are just the opposite on mosquitoes though. It's been so dry that there are very few of them this year. Best I can remember in years. However, we do have a really healthy deerfly population. Not as bad as yours, but bad for us...

Last edited:
!! the same here ted, with all the buggers out there it can wait. the prextended early 4th vacation time has come and gone with extra days added due to heat or heavy rains... plans to restart tomorrow ? but time will tell(hours to d-day) for furthering the wood pile?? lol although the crappies are biting hard and fast with the bug infestation!!..??...???....????????? keep cool friends!

Ted, I was talking to a gal from upper Michigan a few years back and I asked her about the climate. She replied that they only had two seasons, Swatting and Shoveling. That bursted my bubble dreaming of laid back deer hunting and wood cutting. Ron

Geez guys! While all those remedies for skeeters and deerflies probably work, I sure as heck don't want to know about them! I just have to guess they do not work as well as cold weather does.

You need to leave my excuses for staying out of the woods alone! ;)

Ted

Ted, I was talking to a gal from upper Michigan a few years back and I asked her about the climate. She replied that they only had two seasons, Swatting and Shoveling. That bursted my bubble dreaming of laid back deer hunting and wood cutting. Ron

By that time of the year the bugs are gone; and dressed properly, you can have a laid back hunting season! Provided of course, you have a deer stand you can lay down in!:hmm3grin2orange:

Ted

Did you have to put on the high beams on too to see where you were going because the deer flies were so thick ? :hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back