The 361 options and mods thead

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I remember reading about using the air cleaner and carb from a 440, or was it my imagination. What gains, without porting?

A 9 pin .325 sprocket is actually almost the same diameter as an 8 pin 3/8" so they create about the same "gear ratio" in terms of chain speed. I usually run a 7 with a 20" bar, but it can pull an 8 if you use a light touch. With anything shorter, it's an 8 (3/8) or a 9 (.325). I have had excellent results with a 9 pin and a 16" bar with .325 chain.

I can imagine that, and I guess you need a 68dl chain for the 9-pin, at least with short bars. :)

The 9-pin .325 actually should be just a hair larger than the 8-pin 3/8 one.

Last edited:
Serial -

so is the general rule with a 16/18" bar to use a 8t rim?? What kind of wood are you cutting
up there on the east coast?? I had them put a 18" bar on when I bought my saw - but I
think they may have forgot 2 change out my rim - or didnot know it all ??

Unlike Serial, I don't use an 8-pin with the 18" bar (mostly felling), but I do with the 15" (most bucking and limbing).

Wood is slowgrown birch.

Thank you Northern One..

Gee - the rim questions seem like questions from a year ago.. Two days ago I never really thought about it.. Then I was going to get another bar - got thrown into the the rim question - and a few hours later fiqured most of it out. Thats fiqured out my need!

Troll - do you CUT MUCH real hard wood up there??

Last edited:
Would love to mod my 361 soon but can decide where to start. Does adding the double doggs make it more of a pain to change the bar and chain? I also want to mod the muffler but not sure how I want to do it. Does anyone make a better aftermarket muffler?

1 more thing about the double dogs cause I might order them tomorrow. Are they larger then the stock dog? Also you said its not an issue removing the cover with them do you still just take off the 2 bar buts and thats it? Just looks like there is a bolt connecting both dogs unless it just slides in.

Just ordered the dual dog kit and the spark screen and clip for the muffler mod.
Dealer said the dog kit was only 32 dollars not too bad.

I dunno, comparing the stock rim to the Oregon one, the Oregon one was not finished as well, and it had the hairline crack in it. I will have to get some more rims down at the Stihl shop in Cottage Grove where I get my RM loops made. They seem to have an old cashe of rims and chain there.

Is Rm chain faster cutting than RSC?

The chain that I am using now is marked 33RSC 3/8 pitch .050 gauge.

RM is slower, but it holds an edge longer. So good here is entirely dependant on the conditions that you cut in. I use RM most of the time becasue I tend to cut in cruddy conditions. Slash piles, thinning and limbing close to the ground, bucking up downed logs. Faster cutting chain is not always better. You need clean wood for running full chisel (RS) type chain.

RM is slower, but it holds an edge longer. So good here is entirely dependant on the conditions that you cut in. I use RM most of the time becasue I tend to cut in cruddy conditions. Slash piles, thinning and limbing close to the ground, bucking up downed logs. Faster cutting chain is not always better. You need clean wood for running full chisel (RS) type chain.

They say when working cattle, "Slower is faster.", LOL, in most cases I think this is the same with Chainsaw Chain. When cutting with Chisel little things that knock a 1/32" off the tip doesn't even bother Semi Chisel chain.

I worked for an Amish millionaire, walnut buyer and he hated Semi Chisel, we use to alway argue about it, but while his other guy was stopped, sharpening his chain I would still be making good chips, cause when you are digging trenches around the trunk to get that last inch of trunk and poking your bar in the dirty bark and root ball, you soon appreciate the beauty of the Semi-Chisel.

I noticed that falling work in Wisconsin as compared to southern Illinois the same breed of trees weren't nearly as hard in Southern Illinois as they were in Wisconsin. I remember cutting hard maple in Wisconsin and needing to touch up my chisel chain almost every tank full. Cutting oak in Southern Illinois, you could literally go the whole morning or most of it, with chisel and never have a problem. If I had to do Wisconsin all over I would have used Semi Chisel chain, cause the wood is much harder in those hills of South Western Wisconsin.

Sam

I have 2 chains that came with my saw I know 1 is an rsc but im not sure of the other it might be a regular rs. Ill grab some pictures later.

Latest posts

Back