the $500.00 'room full of saws' buyout

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volks-man

Arboristsite.com Spooner
Reaction score
it's raining here today.

i stopped by a local mower guy's place this afternoon (with no $ on me) to see what old saws he might have. he presented a nearly complete running makita 510 that 'needs oiler work' for $75.00.

after talkng for a while he says, "give me $500.00 and you get everything (saws) i have here".
at the top of the list is the makita 510, a pair of 020Ts (unknown problems), and "a couple 066s that need P/Cs".
after that around 30-50 saws on the shelves, of mixed origin, mostly stripped. included is a "room full of parts" a "truckload" with "loads of stihl parts". i did not get a close up look at any of this stuff other than the makita, i didn't want to lead him on as i didn't have $500.00 to spend.

what would you guys have done? investigate further? blow the wad and have your hobby covered for a few years? forget about it and go cut some trees?

rain gets me in to trouble.

I would grab em. On future rainy days, fix a few up here and there, keep the ones you want. Then keep a few parts to supply the saws you have and sell off the rest of the good parts or saws on here or ebay. You'd probably come out ahead after its all said and done. But, thats just me...

I would grab em. On future rainy days, fix a few up here and there, keep the ones you want. Then keep a few parts to supply the saws you have and sell off the rest of the good parts or saws on here or ebay. You'd probably come out ahead after its all said and done. But, thats just me...

:agree2:

If you have the cash to lay out I'm sure you can make back your money in a week. Selling off the parts and saws that you are not interested in.

it's raining here today.

i stopped by a local mower guy's place this afternoon (with no $ on me) to see what old saws he might have. he presented a nearly complete running makita 510 that 'needs oiler work' for $75.00.

after talkng for a while he says, "give me $500.00 and you get everything (saws) i have here".
at the top of the list is the makita 510, a pair of 020Ts (unknown problems), and "a couple 066s that need P/Cs".
after that around 30-50 saws on the shelves, of mixed origin, mostly stripped. included is a "room full of parts" a "truckload" with "loads of stihl parts". i did not get a close up look at any of this stuff other than the makita, i didn't want to lead him on as i didn't have $500.00 to spend.

what would you guys have done? investigate further? blow the wad and have your hobby covered for a few years? forget about it and go cut some trees?

rain gets me in to trouble.

I'd PM the phone number to me...so I could swing down there and pick em on up :)

I'd PM the phone number to me...so I could swing down there and pick em on up :)

uh huh.
here come the vultures! :)

to be perfectly honest i don't think he has a phone in the shop. we are talkin' a 'good ole boy' kind of place. i know you'd move those 020s and the 066s but thats much harder for me to do, here on the shore............

shoot, all we have to cut around here is marsh grass!:greenchainsaw:

I dont think you would have a bit of trouble moving those 066s:) (hint) lol
But with a truckload of stihl parts, and 30-50 parts saws should be able to make your money back, and then some.
Just my .02$ worth

i figured i was being a little narrow-minded on this one. :(

though, the biggest part of this bonanza are unidentified saws on a shelf. and mostly carcasses at that! they could all be home depot husqies and crapsmans for all i could tell! :dizzy:
the bulk of the stihls was in my list. i only know of two other stihls in the lot and forget the model#s but they were little guys like 015 and 021 (don't quote me)?

he did say he hated newer saws, and lamented about how well made the old 028-038 saws were. maybe the shelf wasn't all junk?
i did spy what looked like a homey super wiz. but when i mentioned that i'd like to have an old super wiz 66 he never mentioned it so, i dunno.

damn my lack of saw knowledge!

uh huh.
here come the vultures! :)

to be perfectly honest i don't think he has a phone in the shop. we are talkin' a 'good ole boy' kind of place. i know you'd move those 020s and the 066s but thats much harder for me to do, here on the shore............

shoot, all we have to cut around here is marsh grass!:greenchainsaw:

Yes but there is a site that you could sell those on. I would get some cash and head back over there. You could make your money in a week or two and only spend your time shipping and posting.

Plus, counter offer him $400 by pulling out four C-notes. Looks like he's less interested in a lot of money than in getting all the stuff out of his shop and gaining more space. He might jump at it, and you've saved $100.

I would have absolutely dug a little deeper to see what he had. No way I'd plop $500 down with out seeing what was there.

oh, i agree there!

i didn't have any $ on me let alone the 500 beans he wanted...
i didn't wanna be one of those window shopping fools who looks through everything he has and have no intentions of buying anything.:)

i figured i'd kick it around and put it out there for you guys to comment and then go from there.
if i can raise the coin i can always go back and deal.
heck, he's only a few minutes away.

does the makita sweeten the deal any? ported will it run with a stock 5100?

Drop the price on that 6400 you have for sale, sell it and then go snag those saws. It will be worth it. You better watch out now, the vultures are looking for that shop. I tried buying some homelite parts a few weeks back, someone snagged that stuff in one day. I never even got to talk to the main man.:cry:

Drop the price on that 6400 you have for sale, sell it and then go snag those saws. It will be worth it. You better watch out now, the vultures are looking for that shop. I tried buying some homelite parts a few weeks back, someone snagged that stuff in one day. I never even got to talk to the main man.:cry:

drop it? to how much?
i may concider your answer to be a binding contract.
:)

yeah, them darned vultures. good thing i am the only member i know of within 1 1/2 hours driving distance to the shop. ;)

i have an item here at the house i'd like to move to finance it all. but it means finding the right buyer. give me a day or two.:)

Nah, I have a 7901 already. Just a new one is 500 and we all know that a 7900 kit cost 200 bucks. So by the time you convert it, you will be over 500 bucks, which will buy you a nice 7900 and it wouldn't be soo ugly. LOL.

1 1/2 isn't squat for most members here. If I was that far away, those saws would be mine.

I'm just trying to give ya some ideas. I hope ya get the dough and make it a go.

Nah, I have a 7901 already. Just a new one is 500 and we all know that a 7900 kit cost 200 bucks. So by the time you convert it, you will be over 500 bucks, which will buy you a nice 7900 and it wouldn't be soo ugly. LOL.

1 1/2 isn't squat for most members here. If I was that far away, those saws would be mine.

I'm just trying to give ya some ideas. I hope ya get the dough and make it a go.
ah, but an hour and a half from where?;) theres only maybe 3-4 members who have any idea where i live. even my trading post ad has my saw listed at a regional resort area (i thought that town would be recognizeable to buyers).

love to make it happen now. ideas can't hurt!

i appreciate your help. that goes for everyone!
thanks!

love to make it happen now. ideas can't hurt!

i appreciate your help. that goes for everyone!
thanks!

Well, I don't know what you do for a living, but maybe you have services or stuff the guy would like to have in trade. Like I said earlier, he's not asking much money for all that stuff, and that leads me to believe he just wants it out of there so he can have more room and still get some cashola out of the deal.

As a photographer, and a husband/wife handyman cabin maintenance team, I do a LOT of trading of services. Last year I shot a wedding for the daughter of a logger in trade for 10 cords of maple and SHAZAM, my heating needs were met for the winter. And I've recently traded two guided lake trout winter trips (yeah, I do that, too) for a chainsaw and a cord+ of cut/split/delivered wood.

Think in those terms. Think about what you have to offer with expertise/items and head on down to the guy's shop (paying no attention to the black helicopters circling overhead) and see if he wants what you got.

Barter, baby, BARTER! :D :clap:

Latest posts

Back