the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matt, when you say $50/hr, you would then add your labor on to that charge or is that an all up rate? Anywhere from $30 odd to $60/hr I reckon, but I've never owned a 660 but know they guzzle heaps.its amazing how much you can do in a couple of hrs with a good work area......I've never quoted a job on an hourly rate as I reckon the client would not understand the running costs.

I've never charged anyone to cut their firewood but have done it for free a few times...

What are people using to seal cylinders to crankcases if doing a base gasket delete. I've used rtv previously but I've seen loctite 518 used also

Ive also got the Rtv stuff. Others swear by Yamabond, seems to be quite popular for chainsaw builds

What are people using to seal cylinders to crankcases if doing a base gasket delete. I've used rtv previously but I've seen loctite 518 used also

I'm using Three Bond. Same as Yamabond, Hondabond etc. I got 2 tubes off eBay for about $30 delivered from memory.

Matt, when you say $50/hr, you would then add your labor on to that charge or is that an all up rate? Anywhere from $30 odd to $60/hr I reckon, but I've never owned a 660 but know they guzzle heaps.its amazing how much you can do in a couple of hrs with a good work area......I've never quoted a job on an hourly rate as I reckon the client would not understand the running costs.

I've never charged anyone to cut their firewood but have done it for free a few times...

Put it this way mate I do vary a lot. I quite often just charge a flat rate for a single tree ($250 for example with chop up and limbing but not timber removal). It is hard to put an hourly rate on it but have done so numerous times. I've even said to guys occasionally "I'll do an hour free and if you like what I get done I'll keep going and you pay". One thing I am good at is going the same speed all day but have had a few too many things pop up on occasion out of my control to charge a one off fee on some jobs.
Even with me getting most components at cost it can still become an expensive exercise sometimes. For example local dealer charges $300+ for a carbide chain plus $40 a sharpen. If I didn't own my own grinder with diamond wheels for carbide or have guys like Benny supplying me carbide at a good price my prices would have to go up significantly without a doubt. I'm also not doing it as my only income and that makes a huge difference.

One of his piles of wood

74ffe11d9f5a06485502da996dbcdd02.jpg

2972c8302705ef1a35432f960e893594.jpg

Sent from my ST21a2 using Tapatalk

Hey Ben, 3bond, or Loctite 518 are the best in that situation!
The "Dirko" Stihl used as a sealant , was also suited 2 the job, not sure if it's still available now, as it's been 12yrs since I left the Stihl/Husky Dealership.

With the amount of time saved sharpening vs having to continually readjust it to get the cutter length even they're not worth it. For a hire place id say yes because they generally don't pay much attention but accurate sharpening for customers I wouldn't. We trialled one for a bit. Had to make sure it had no double cutter or skips. If you just did a few larger chains continuously it would be ok

Latest posts

Back