the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tony, throw those wedges away.

If you want to save money buy yourself a bag of panel packers...the thick ones...we use them in the construction industry to pack precast panels and they're good for about 50 ton. Put a drop saw through them on an angle and you have 2 wedges that cost you 20 cents each....

If you want to save money buy yourself a bag of panel packers...the thick ones...we use them in the construction industry to pack precast panels and they're good for about 50 ton. Put a drop saw through them on an angle and you have 2 wedges that cost you 20 cents each....

I love those packers - so handy. But the wedge idea sounds even better.

Bought a few ages ago and they were good, so I thought I'd get a box. Clearly, someone stuffed up with the wrong plastic as these are nothing like the previous ones. If I'm the first person to turn up asking for his money back, I'll be surprised. If they won't refund I'll use 'em for general purposes that doesn't take a beating and save for heavy-duty action the half dozen or so good wedges I'll need to buy.

Are their 6" and longer panel packers? 8" seems to be a sweet spot for me. Do you have a link to a suppliers site please? Keen to learn more about 'em. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks. I needed it and for once my luck held out long enough.

The line didn't hold. It broke, twice. I put 6 wedges into that tree and all but one of those wedges broke. My mega-deal on a box of 50 wedges almost cost me a shed and fence. Brittle plastic was busting even when I didn't miss-hit them. That sort of crap is gonna kill someone or wreck property.

Talk about an absurd string of screw-ups.

In the end, knowing the line was as suss as the wedges, I was inching it in, tapping in wedge fragment a little more, inch, tap, inch, tap. Finally, the basturd gave up and cooperated. Any other day that would have been a disaster.

Roger that. Cheers.

View attachment 459446

View attachment 459447

Sorry mate, I see things were seriouse, for many years I never used plastic wedges to assist in directional falling, in fact it not really excepted by our safety officers.
I'm glad it did not come off the stump sideways and do damage or worse.
1 Stihl alloy wedge driven with a decent falling axe will lift and take more stress than all those plastic wedges put together.
In old growth wood we always had at least 2, 12 inch steel wedges and a 14 pound hammer on the dozer at all times, they were used a lot around the gulley's.
The falling axe's we use are tempered at the back and will take solid hits on alloy Stihl wedges, the edge is soft and can be filled with a file onsite.
An example of why big hammers and big steel wedges were needed, over 1 load in 1 log was common in old growth and requires different skills to falling in flat / hilly coastal spar size timber. In this pic a brush box quota log with head cut off behind to go on another load.
img003.jpg

had to saw apart excavator felled trees at gun club today,,,, wot pain in twisted stacked over covered with dirt brute of things dragged out the limb heads and chipped it up then did ma best to turn solid trunks into fire wood gave it up when thick sap gooed my bar twas shite work for no bucks just the luv

Thanks. I needed it and for once my luck held out long enough.

The line didn't hold. It broke, twice. I put 6 wedges into that tree and all but one of those wedges broke. My mega-deal on a box of 50 wedges almost cost me a shed and fence. Brittle plastic was busting even when I didn't miss-hit them. That sort of crap is gonna kill someone or wreck property.

Talk about an absurd string of screw-ups.

In the end, knowing the line was as suss as the wedges, I was inching it in, tapping in wedge fragment a little more, inch, tap, inch, tap. Finally, the basturd gave up and cooperated. Any other day that would have been a disaster.

Roger that. Cheers.

View attachment 459446

View attachment 459447

mate get ya self some of these hard head wedges the red bit is steel and the plaky bit don't

crack not even in dry red box so long as you hit them square i got 3 boxs a couple a years

ago and sold a heap to pay for them but i'm keeping these .

i have only broken one so far .

IMG_0819 (Small).JPG

Sorry mate, I see things were seriouse, for many years I never used plastic wedges to assist in directional falling, in fact it not really excepted by our safety officers.
I'm glad it did not come off the stump sideways and do damage or worse.
1 Stihl alloy wedge driven with a decent falling axe will lift and take more stress than all those plastic wedges put together.
In old growth wood we always had at least 2, 12 inch steel wedges and a 14 pound hammer on the dozer at all times, they were used a lot around the gulley's.
The falling axe's we use are tempered at the back and will take solid hits on alloy Stihl wedges, the edge is soft and can be filled with a file onsite.
An example of why big hammers and big steel wedges were needed, over 1 load in 1 log was common in old growth and requires different skills to falling in flat / hilly coastal spar size timber. In this pic a brush box quota log with head cut off behind to go on another load.
View attachment 459449
making water by the looks of the log too, nice on a warm day, in winter not so much.
ta

Plastic wedges, gave them a miss decades ago, get 12" aluminium, best of the lot.

I've left a few "clueless" stumps also K'bro...........lol

Good to hear it all went well when it was on the ground.

A good tree rope is from a 4x4 winch - steel.

Terry worked for LJ Williams, he and Peter Craig de saped the poles, I have done time there too as it was my wet weather job. He left (after a long running problem with management) and worked in the bush for a while but broke his leg which stopped an impressive wood chopping career being one of NSW best tree climbers and underhand axemen.
I can still remember him peddling his push bike up Bell bird and getting all the way to the top without a stop, he was a tough man and his brother was even tougher.
Quiet tonight on the dribble.
you would have heard of or met freddie walters then, there is a cinisound or similar film which i saw, showing him letting a 10 ft carpet snake out of a bag on the bar of the pier hotel, then him going along drinking all the beers left on the bar after the drinkers had scattered out the door of the pub, he could stop a chev flat top v8 by shorting out the spark plugs with his arms going across each bank of spark plugs, my old boss was working with him at hoys mill at woolgoolga, he said to him " fred can you smell something burning" as he was cutting with an oxy torch he looked around & lifted up his bare foot & there was a small triangle of steel burnt into the sole of his foot! he was amazingly tough & i just think how soft we are today in comparison
ta

Alloy wedges are definitely the go. Every time you hit them they go in. No spring back. You only realise the value in them when trying to push a big hardwood against it's lean or trying to lift a lot of weight. Plastics are like trying to stick a marshmallow into a moneybox.

I've got 4 steel wedges I used to push over one of those rotten paperbacks. ..they're no fun when they fly out of the log at high speed back at you..plastic would have done the job nicely but I left them at home... alloy would be best as they probably hold better than the steel and present less of a danger when they fly out of the cut, but I don't own any.

I don't buy my panel packers Tony... I get them for free from my concretors whenever I am doing a panel job. I know Ramset used to sell them but they were never cheap cheap. The dimensions are about 150mmx100mm and you can get them up to 20mm and you can cut them easy on a decent sized drop saw, just use clamped blocks on either side to hold them.

Plastic wedges, gave them a miss decades ago, get 12" aluminium, best of the lot.

I've left a few "clueless" stumps also K'bro...........lol

Good to hear it all went well when it was on the ground.

A good tree rope is from a 4x4 winch - steel.
yes i used one of those for the first time, last weekend, quite impressed

Jimbo.

Chain arrived today.

Thanks for that.

Get to test it on Wednesday in Batesford of all places.....bit dry over that side at the moment so hopefully the trees are too.

Back