the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Work pics! Couple of loads headed for Gympie
75a21a6e1ae717c6597e933c4a9bee1d.jpg

You guys in Victoria need to pull ya finger out and cut your own sleepers! We have an order for 250 packs (20 to a pack) of the god damn big ass gut busting things! got a b double load done so far...
We have thousands of QLD sleepers (30 to a pack) to cut as it is I'm not 20 anymore me no likey Vic sleepers! haha...
Apparently why Vic sleepers are such a big lump of wood is you guys where a very rich state way back when with all the gold and could afford to build a grand railway! I bet the dip **** engineer that designed the railway didn't give a thought to the men that have to manhandle the cut timber :wtf: peasants we r! lol...
QLD well we where poor and have baby (cheap) sleepers thank ****! haha...

You guys in Victoria need to pull ya finger out and cut your own sleepers! We have an order for 250 packs (20 to a pack) of the god damn big ass gut busting things! ...
We have thousands of QLD sleepers to cut as it is I'm not 20 anymore me no likey Vic sleepers! haha...
Apparently why Vic sleepers are such a big lump of wood is you guys where a very rich state way back when with all the gold and could afford to build a grand railway! ...QLD well we where poor and have baby (cheap) sleepers thank ****! haha...

big yes also fuggen hard to knock off from side of tracks,, i tried once years back thinking i'd borrow some to do a landscape job as they leave piles of them beside the lines nfw each one 2 man lift and wont many in ute

big yes also fuggen hard to knock off from side of tracks,, i tried once years back thinking i'd borrow some to do a landscape job as they leave piles of them beside the lines nfw each one 2 man lift and wont many in ute
I can slip a QLD sleeper into a pack one-handed ...On the other hand Vic sleepers I've got to use every muscle in my body! feels like the tendons are ripping off my arms with each one haha...I've been to the docs years ago about pain in my arms they said yep tendons are ripping off the bone are you a bodybuilder? I'm like no WTF I'm a sleeper cutter! they be like what's that? meh lol....

My brothers car, a Rangie from memory, was stolen overy 10 yrs ago.....some time later they found the car....some guy was caught stealing sleepers in the middle of the night and loading them into the back of the stolen car....he went to jail.

i thought all vic was using concrete sleepers these days, was a bit dissapointed when i worked on a big rail project down here about 12-18 months ago...not a single timber sleeper in 26km of track.

i thought all vic was using concrete sleepers these days, was a bit dissapointed when i worked on a big rail project down here about 12-18 months ago...not a single timber sleeper in 26km of track.

The Melbourne to Sydney line runs about 40k's north east of me and I notice all of the new sleepers are concrete except for the road crossings, they're still replacing these using timber.

Steel or concrete sleepers are the norm all over AU ....It's the back woods care less about (won't get you voted back in) lines that are still wood and they need upkeep (bare minimum) so yeah they need timber sleepers here and there basically band aid railway lines to keep trains running out in the wop wops.....

You guys in Victoria need to pull ya finger out and cut your own sleepers! We have an order for 250 packs (20 to a pack) of the god damn big ass gut busting things! got a b double load done so far...
We have thousands of QLD sleepers (30 to a pack) to cut as it is I'm not 20 anymore me no likey Vic sleepers! haha...
Apparently why Vic sleepers are such a big lump of wood is you guys where a very rich state way back when with all the gold and could afford to build a grand railway! I bet the dip **** engineer that designed the railway didn't give a thought to the men that have to manhandle the cut timber :wtf: peasants we r! lol...
QLD well we where poor and have baby (cheap) sleepers thank ****! haha...
Bananas are lighter than gold, there must have been a lot of gold in NSW as well cause the sleepers are the same size, do you have to gang nail the ends? & are they inspected and hammered at the mill?
Thangst

Shouldn't we be using more trains freight siht around the place any way??? From a efficiency viewpoint, or so I've been told

The state government closed our local line in 1978, last year tourism Victoria (government body) allocated 14.5 Million to turn it into a push bike track. An absolute wast of tax payers money.

Few pics Steel/Concrete/Hardwood sleepers and some old footage skip to 9:20 min for old school sleeper cutting...
Guys harping on about the weight of a 60cc saw ha new age hippies! bet they would call it a day if they got a blister lol ...That old vid kind of puts it into perspective! maybe an axe weighs less and only uses half the fuel? hmmm some people don't realize how easy they have it nowadays....
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Bananas are lighter than gold, there must have been a lot of gold in NSW as well cause the sleepers are the same size, do you have to gang nail the ends? & are they inspected and hammered at the mill?
Thangst

No NSW sleepers are not the same size as Vic sleepers at 2.7 long we have cut thousands of both over the years... End plates on sleepers NSW at times and we do that or someone under cuts us and gets the job, end plates (gang nails) mostly go on bridge timber...There are three in our family that are accredited to pass sleepers me being one, sure beats the old days of passing 2 thousand in one day with railway timber inspectors looking on but looking back I remember a pass as a highlight to the end of a mouth as we got the rest of the day off done and dusted by lunch! ...But yes true any bridge timber we cut gets inspected by (Terry Kennedy) for NSW Neil knows him top bloke!...As for QLD well its on the down and out as far as cutting bridge timber ,fresh out of university 20 year olds running the show up here apparently we don't know how to cut railway bridge timber! or any mill for that matter! haha.....

77DL for my 24"
Is that for a 660 7pin.
Any longer that you use either.
Machine
Bar
Rim size

I Will be ordering some cutty cutty long time and in thinking of a spare or 2 to sent to some of you blokes to review as well. I have penciled in 210dl to try a 24" and the rest, what ever that works out to fit.

Anyone seen an automated railway track laying machine?

The one I saw can do a couple of km's/day easy...it lays the sleepers (concrete) and lays all the track and finishes it...it even vibrates the ballast.....very quick and precise.

Concrete sleepers appear to be the go...I think they are under half the price of timber ones when you factor in the cost of the fixings that are cast into the concrete. Quicker to lay also and time is money.

No NSW sleepers are not the same size as Vic sleepers at 2.7 long we have cut thousands of both over the years... End plates on sleepers NSW at times and we do that or someone under cuts us and gets the job, end plates (gang nails) mostly go on bridge timber...There are three in our family that are accredited to pass sleepers me being one, sure beats the old days of passing 2 thousand in one day with railway timber inspectors looking on but looking back I remember a pass as a highlight to the end of a mouth as we got the rest of the day off done and dusted by lunch! ...But yes true any bridge timber we cut gets inspected by (Terry Kennedy) for NSW Neil knows him top bloke!...As for QLD well its on the down and out as far as cutting bridge timber ,fresh out of university 20 year olds running the show up here apparently we don't know how to cut railway bridge timber! or any mill for that matter! haha.....

hello mate, I have not cut Vic sleepers but nsw stuff in royal species green goes (I have weighted a few for laughs) goes round 78 to 85 kilo's each (grey iron bark or tallow wood for eg) and are 230 by 130 mm 2.44 long.
I would be interested in some Vic sleepers if I could get onto them, I best check with Duns or lamara timbers and see.
I have cut SA sleepers too, they were class 2 reticules in common species ( well they took a wider variety in species than other states).
The good old days where the sleeper boys went into the rail yard and 2 by 2 rolled everyone's sleepers with the inspector passing and stamping them while the rest took their turn turning more sleepers. Then off to the pub they go happy as buggery until the next pass.
And yes terry is a great bloke, have not seen him in years now and he was a bloody top axeman too in his day, was great to watch up the pole 3 boards chopping.

Latest posts

Back