the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We used about 18 to 20 last year, big house on always going 24/7 for 3 months except for cleaning and going half the time for another 3.

Hoping to use closer to half that this winter....better insulated house (mud brick on a slab) and a bit smaller too......hope we don't use anymore than 12, I've sold the rest :innocent:

id like an insulated house some times its colder inside then out :cold:.

Dear resident deal hound (chippy),

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find me a pair of reversible planer blades, 310-318 x 18-25 x 3.
Any help greatly appreciated, please and thank you.

My current blades/knives have seen too much demo timber and I've just been asked to make some sarking from the lumber I cut a few years ago from a tree I dropped. Will be nice to take it from standing tree to installed. I have a T&G bit for my router and I cut a hole in the table of my saw bench for a redneck spindle moulder. Works well, but always feel one millisecond away from catastrophe.

Where's WidowMaker_1 with his 090 and straight as an arrow ripping when ya need him!?.. Ahh well the old man grunted and farted and got her done ha...:chainsaw:
Few pics of the old man today ripping some Mount Mckenzie (Tenterfield) inland Blackbutt, Nice timber pretty clean as far as Blackbutt goes not much blood vane and a lot slower growing (tighter grain) than coastal Blackbutt so not as bad with checking/splitting...
View attachment 495588 View attachment 495589 View attachment 495590 View attachment 495591 View attachment 495592

Good to see your old man getting into, yep he's got the technique down ,jungle style walk that log both hands on the rear ...and hold your mouth right lol

found another wasp nest but this is deep in some black beery bush and i can not burn the bush out to get to it becouse id start one hell of a fire and id be in the s### any idears

Dear resident deal hound (chippy),

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find me a pair of reversible planer blades, 310-318 x 18-25 x 3.
Any help greatly appreciated, please and thank you.

My current blades/knives have seen too much demo timber and I've just been asked to make some sarking from the lumber I cut a few years ago from a tree I dropped. Will be nice to take it from standing tree to installed. I have a T&G bit for my router and I cut a hole in the table of my saw bench for a redneck spindle moulder. Works well, but always feel one millisecond away from catastrophe.

I accept the mission, now go away and self destruct will ya....

I pretty much only use the reversible carbide blades but I did buy a set of the steel blades about 2 years back when I was doing a reno of a place built in 1911 in Hawthorn. They perform a bit better over nails embedded in the timber that can only be cut off....world's hardest timber at that age.

If the carbide blades will do you, you knip them to length if you can only find ones too long.

No idea what those dimensions mean off the top of my head, so I better hope I've still got some new blades in a packet in the workshop to make sense of it, but I'm almost half way through a move so they might be boxed up and in storage....will get back to you.

Your spindle moulder sounds great......as long as they don't kick, which can be a problem if the tolerance is under a mm....

I'd send em all off to get done in a shop if they had to be spot on.....but I'd be happy to do a rough job like that...,sarkings normally pretty rough though I'd have thought.

on a tight buget that stuff it dam $$
Ask chippy to find a discounted supplier. Nobody can sniff out discounts like that tinny bastard.
I accept the mission, now go away and self destruct will ya....
LOL. I'm working on it - may be the only thing I am ultimately successful at.

Thanks for the info.

Yes, doesn't need to be a perfect run and would be easier, better, and probably cheaper to cart a packet of lumber over to the four-sider crew to have it run, but where's the bloody fun in that? This is for farm owners who I came to do a few jobs for a few years ago and they have become friends and she wants to learn how to make stuff with wood and needs some sarking, so, I think I'll point her straight to the redneck spindle moulder and then hide around the corner.

This one time, at band camp, a mate of my building boss broke a bit on some knotty Rimu (very hard when seasoned), and the shrapnel went through his shoulder and embedded in the block wall behind him before he even knew what was happening. I have that in my head every time I turn my router on.

No hurry mate. Just whenever, if ever you get a round tuit.

I have my eye on some used 630mm knives that I can cut down, but I still need to get 'em sharpened unless I want to make up a jig for the bench grinder (will fark that up I'm sure), buy a proper grinder (ouch), or pay $50 to have a set sharpened.

Ask chippy to find a discounted supplier. Nobody can sniff out discounts like that tinny bastard.
LOL. I'm working on - it may be the only thing I am ultimately successful at.

Thanks for the info.

Yes, doesn't need to be a perfect run and would be easier, better, and probably cheaper to cart a packet of lumber over to the four-sider crew to have it run, but where's the bloody fun in that? This is for farm owners who I came to do a few jobs for a few years ago and they have become friends and she wants to learn how to make stuff with wood and needs some sarking, so, I think I'll point her straight to the redneck spindle moulder and then hide around the corner.

This one time, at band camp, a mate of my building boss broke a bit on some knotty Rimu (very hard when seasoned), and the shrapnel went through his shoulder and embedded in the block wall behind him before he even knew what was happening. I have that in my head every time I turn my router on.

No hurry mate. Just whenever, if ever you get a round tuit.

I have my eye on some used 630mm knives that I can cut down, but I still need to get 'em sharpened unless I want to make up a jig for the bench grinder (will fark that up I'm sure), buy a proper grinder (ouch), or pay $50 to have a set sharpened.

If you haven't got a good bench grinder setup to sharpen, a belt sander is the next best thing....it's what I use at work in emergencies and it does just as good a job on the chisels with even less chance of the super strengthening blue tinge we all love to see. Finish with the nose to get the concave so your stone will then work on it for razor sharp

Back