the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is tree world still going? I was yellow carded for a few days for posting an opinion about the moderation of that site and have never been back since. They can take a number and join the queue to kiss my ass.

You're just trouble, big trouble.....and from the wrong country :buttkick:

If you haven't got a good bench grinder setup to sharpen, a belt sander is the next best thing....it's what I use at work in emergencies and it does just as good a job on the chisels with even less chance of the super strengthening blue tinge we all love to see. Finish with the nose to get the concave so your stone will then work on it for razor sharp
Does this sound like a plan:
Disc sander:
s-l1600.jpg
plus make up a jig kinda along these lines:

and get er done.

Not keen on using a sanding disc on the table saw because it spins too fast, is a PITA to get the blade on and off, and the sparks will probably start a fire in the saw dust. Also, the disc sander might work out better for dressing bars rather than my belt sander and I'm sure I could find other uses for it.

What say yous fellas? Is there a better way? Should I tinker and make a easy and accurate jig for my belt sander instead of buying a disc sander?

I wouldn't use a disc sander for sharpening, but then others might.

When sharpening a steel blade, you want to achieve a concave over the surface so when you put it in the stone it sharpens just the leading edge and the furthers away contact point....this is the perfect way to sharpen a chisel and also a Japanese chefs knife.

A bench grinder is the go of course.

I only use files on my bars but a disc sander may be quicker

uh oh could be busted

Australian Taxation Office deputy commissioner Michael Cranston says more than 800 Australians are being investigated in relation to their links with the law firm, with at least 120 associated with an offshore service provider in Hong Kong. - See more at: http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-...ed-to-panama-papers.html#sthash.aotQ4ClG.dpuf

phew im not on the list as i once found 10 bucks in dog **** and never declared it with ATO

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_named_in_the_Panama_Papers#Current

Ask chippy to find a discounted supplier. Nobody can sniff out discounts like that tinny bastard.
LOL. I'm working on it - may be the only thing I am ultimately successful at.

Thanks for the info.

Yes, doesn't need to be a perfect run and would be easier, better, and probably cheaper to cart a packet of lumber over to the four-sider crew to have it run, but where's the bloody fun in that? This is for farm owners who I came to do a few jobs for a few years ago and they have become friends and she wants to learn how to make stuff with wood and needs some sarking, so, I think I'll point her straight to the redneck spindle moulder and then hide around the corner.

This one time, at band camp, a mate of my building boss broke a bit on some knotty Rimu (very hard when seasoned), and the shrapnel went through his shoulder and embedded in the block wall behind him before he even knew what was happening. I have that in my head every time I turn my router on.

No hurry mate. Just whenever, if ever you get a round tuit.

I have my eye on some used 630mm knives that I can cut down, but I still need to get 'em sharpened unless I want to make up a jig for the bench grinder (will fark that up I'm sure), buy a proper grinder (ouch), or pay $50 to have a set sharpened.

Yes you can make a jig on a bench grinder to sharpen planer knives a fine stone works best.. give me a few days will get some pics to give you an idea how to set it up...
Wow $50 to have a set sharpened I can sharpen eight 300mm long knives in less than 20min on our ancient old sharpener basically an oversized bench grinder...Also use a basic over the counter bench grinder with a jig for profiling knives for decking works fine..Sold our big planer and the 25K profiler sharpener for it, have one 4 head planer left for flooring/decking and two thicknessers...

d47ab0e3c415660be84aa26d9210eee1.jpg

I've been thinking of how to make a chainsaw letter box since we moved into our place. Atleast no one would steal this one. Well bob might...

They're OK for light clean ups but when you get leaners like I get in the shop the files don't last long. I just use the angle grinder and start from the tail as that's usually still true and work your way along. Then I take it out the vice chuck it on the bench and check it with a set square. We had one at the old shop that was part of the building frame that had a washing machine motor driving a belt upto a flat bench with a shaft with a 9" grinding wheel sticking up through it like a table saw. That worked really well that I'm thinking of replicating it again

Why not carve a chainsaw mailbox with a chainsaw...

That would be like hitting two stones with one bird so to speak
I've got a carving bar and chains brand new in the shed, don't really know how to do it though [emoji14] chinga 070 crankcase, top cover, rear handle and bar and she's done

I've got a carving bar and chains brand new in the shed, don't really know how to do it though [emoji14] chinga 070 crankcase, top cover, rear handle and bar and she's done

Pretty easy, I carved a mushroom with a chinese saw once. Turned out reasonably round.

But the chinga 70 sounds good.

Watch out for the rip-off postage from Chainsawr in the USA
I was desperately seeking piston rings for the contra( 52x2mm,hard to get),and he had em at a reasonable price.
Came to checkout,and the postage was $39 USD!! For 3 piston rings!
Anyway,it was 2am,i wanted the rings,couldnt find em elsewhere,needed to get started on the resto,so i foolishly sent the dough,thinking "oh well,maybe he is stuck using some super duper goldplated shipping service.
When the small box of rings arrived,via regular airmail,the postage cost was $13.
so i emailed the Karnt,pointing out the $26 difference in postage,and he says that there are many other costs involved in shipping to australia,without specifying what these were.
I've had a ton of stuff posted from the states without this mystery surcharge,and huge mark-up.
He may have the parts,but i'd rather buy my own chinese factory and make the bloody things myself than deal with him again,just on principle.

Watch out for the rip-off postage from Chainsawr in the USA
I was desperately seeking piston rings for the contra( 52x2mm,hard to get),and he had em at a reasonable price.
Came to checkout,and the postage was $39 USD!! For 3 piston rings!
Anyway,it was 2am,i wanted the rings,couldnt find em elsewhere,needed to get started on the resto,so i foolishly sent the dough,thinking "oh well,maybe he is stuck using some super duper goldplated shipping service.
When the small box of rings arrived,via regular airmail,the postage cost was $13.
so i emailed the Karnt,pointing out the $26 difference in postage,and he says that there are many other costs involved in shipping to australia,without specifying what these were.
I've had a ton of stuff posted from the states without this mystery surcharge,and huge mark-up.
He may have the parts,but i'd rather buy my own chinese factory and make the bloody things myself than deal with him again,just on principle.
send them to the guys in the US and get them to forward it on.. thats what i do most of the time. :)

Latest posts

Back